Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Teaching a child to wipe after #2 (TMI)

markmywords

Post Wed, Aug 22 2012, 7:57 pm
How do you teach your kids to wipe after #2??
Do you have them reach around from the back to wipe (this seems awkward as they wind up squeezing their tushy in this position making wiping harder) or do you teach them to reach between the legs from in front?

Does it matter if it's a boy or girl? Also, their arms seem so short, it's hard for them to reach.
Do you clean them for them?
If so, until what age???

amother

Post Wed, Aug 22 2012, 9:26 pm
dont have an answer op, but wondering the same

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Aug 22 2012, 9:44 pm
I teach them to reach from the back.

get child sized wipes to begin, it's easier. explain the process to them before they wipe. show them how to hold the wipe in order to wipe effectively. after every wipe, look at it with the child to see if there's any poop on it. "is that dirty or clean?" make sure they know to continue wiping until the wipe comes out clean.

they should be able to do it at four.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 22 2012, 9:47 pm
mummiedearest wrote:

get child sized wipes to begin, it's easier. explain the process to them before they wipe. show them how to hold the wipe in order to wipe effectively. after every wipe, look at it with the child to see if there's any poop on it. "is that dirty or clean?" make sure they know to continue wiping until the wipe comes out clean.

Oh boy. My son is 6 and I can't let him wipe himself. I need to make sure he's all clean. Don't they stay dirty?
I have a 5 yr old too.....

Not the op, but in same situation!

momx6

Post Wed, Aug 22 2012, 9:49 pm
I let them wipe themselves using flushable toddler wipes whichever way they like that gets them clean.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Aug 22 2012, 9:51 pm
amother wrote:
mummiedearest wrote:

Oh boy. My son is 6 and I can't let him wipe himself. I need to make sure he's all clean. Don't they stay dirty?

I stood in the bathroom with my five yr old for about twenty minutes helping him learn this. yes, any child will leave a little bit over. however, if you stand over them and teach them, they do pretty well. flushable wipes are wonderful. I do think six is a bit old to have mommy wiping him. my four yr old dd does very well on her own, and I did not have to give her a detailed lesson like I did with my son. if they don't do such a good job, bathe them. they cannot learn the skill without practice, and you wiping for your son will not help him. my son complains sometimes that it takes too long and he wants me to do the wiping. I tell him it's his tushie and I have no intention of wiping it when he's thirty. now is the time to learn. and they do have to know how to wipe themselves if they're in school.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 22 2012, 10:05 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
amother wrote:
mummiedearest wrote:

I stood in the bathroom with my five yr old for about twenty minutes helping him learn this. yes, any child will leave a little bit over. however, if you stand over them and teach them, they do pretty well. flushable wipes are wonderful. I do think six is a bit old to have mommy wiping him. my four yr old dd does very well on her own, and I did not have to give her a detailed lesson like I did with my son. if they don't do such a good job, bathe them. they cannot learn the skill without practice, and you wiping for your son will not help him. my son complains sometimes that it takes too long and he wants me to do the wiping. I tell him it's his tushie and I have no intention of wiping it when he's thirty. now is the time to learn. and they do have to know how to wipe themselves if they're in school.

I tried to teach him so many times and every time I think. It's easier to do it myself! But yeah, if I'll continue wiping him, he'll never learn!

So you just gave me the motivation, I think I'll let him do it next time around!

markmywords

Post Fri, Aug 24 2012, 2:15 pm
Op here
Do you have them sit or stand when wiping themselves?
If standing, do you have them bend forward a bit? If they stand straight, I find they squeeze their buttocks closed in this position.

mummiedearest

Post Fri, Aug 24 2012, 3:33 pm
markmywords wrote:
Op here
Do you have them sit or stand when wiping themselves?
If standing, do you have them bend forward a bit? If they stand straight, I find they squeeze their buttocks closed in this position.

I have them stand, slightly bent over. bending the knees a bit helps relax the rear end too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training