Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Recipe for Cabbage Kugel?
1  2  Next

Mevater

Post Sun, Jan 07 2007, 11:34 am
Schicks in B.P. makes a strudel type of cabbage kugel. Does anyone know of an easy and good Cabbage Kugel Recipe?

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jan 08 2007, 4:24 pm
are you sure you aren't thinking of a cabbage knish?

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Sep 06 2012, 10:39 am
Bumping this, wondering if anyone's come up with such a recipe. I thought I found this recipe for a cabbage noodle kugel, bought the broad noodles, then realized oops, no kugel, just a cabbage noodle dish. I can't see freezing it. It calls for sauteeing onions and cabbage and adding noodles. I could just try adding eggs and baking but I'd rather put out a call and see if such an animal exists. Thanks!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 06 2012, 3:16 pm
I freeze cabbage and noodle dish all the time PF

frumshopper

Post Thu, Sep 06 2012, 3:32 pm
I make a cabbage noodle kugel (from Community Treasures - SEHC old cookbook):

saute 1/2 lb cabbage and 1 onion (both should be chopped)
mix with 8oz med noodles (cooked) and 3 eggs
add salt/pepper to taste
this goes into 8" square tin and cook at 350 1 hr

agreer

Post Thu, Sep 06 2012, 3:37 pm
My SIL makes a cabbage koogel sans noodles:

Cook down a head/package of green cabbage in some oil.
Separate eggs and beat whites.
Mix yolks w/ cooked cabbage, salt, pepper and other spices.
Fold in egg whites.
Bake at 350 for 1 hour.

She usu makes this for pesach. I only like it when the cabbage is really, really soft, I.e. cooked down a lot. Crunchy cabbage koogel makes me Sad

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Sep 06 2012, 5:05 pm
Thanks all, and keep them coming.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Sep 06 2012, 5:06 pm
ra_mom wrote:

How do you reheat? Thanks!

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Sep 06 2012, 5:46 pm
Cabbage Kugel or Rugelach

2 onions, diced
2 tbsp. oil (approx.)
1 bag coleslaw mix
salt & pepper to taste
pinch nutmeg, optional
mustard or honey mustard
duck sauce
1 pkg. puff pastry dough (2 sheets) or malawach dough (approx 7 circles), defrosted

Saute onions and cabbage in oil for approximately 12-15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste (and nutmeg if using). Set aside.

For kugel, roll each puff pastry sheet slightly and spread with a thin layer of mustard. Top with cabbage mixture. Roll up jelly roll style. Put each roll into a round 9" pan, curved into a circle. Cut slashes in dough. Brush with duck sauce. Bake according to puff pastry package instructions.

For rugelach, place one circle of malawach on a flat circle and cut into 8-12 triangles. Spread with a thin layer of mustard. Top each with a spoon of cabbage mixture. Roll up each one, rugelach style. Brush with a generous amount of duck sauce and bake at 350 for 35 minutes or untl golden. Repeat the above until you use up the filling.

Can be made in advance and frozen raw before putting on duck sauce. Take out the quantity you need, defrost, brush with duck sauce and bake.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 06 2012, 7:43 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
ra_mom wrote:

defrost completely.
reheat in a covered double boiler until steaming hot (I make a make-shift double broiler on the plata using 2 disposable pans and cover w foil)

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Sep 06 2012, 9:55 pm
ra_mom wrote:
PinkFridge wrote:
ra_mom wrote:

defrost completely.
reheat in a covered double boiler until steaming hot (I make a make-shift double broiler on the plata using 2 disposable pans and cover w foil)

Thanks. Still inclined to try a kugel.

solo

Post Thu, Sep 06 2012, 11:11 pm
I freeze cabbage and noodles as well. Just defrost and rewa covered for a while so no extra moisture.
My grandmother used to make something called cabbage strudel which we all loved. Dh does not:( its kinda like a knish dough wrapped arround sautéed cabbage. I haven't made it in a long time but think the dough was easy to work with. Hope I can dig up the recipe if ur interested.

balibusta

Post Thu, Apr 04 2013, 9:18 pm
ISO recipe for cabbage kugel not with noodles

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 9:41 am
OOTBubby wrote:

2 onions, diced
2 tbsp. oil (approx.)
1 bag coleslaw mix
salt & pepper to taste
pinch nutmeg, optional
mustard or honey mustard
duck sauce
1 pkg. puff pastry dough (2 sheets) or malawach dough (approx 7 circles), defrosted

Saute onions and cabbage in oil for approximately 12-15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste (and nutmeg if using). Set aside.

For kugel, roll each puff pastry sheet slightly and spread with a thin layer of mustard. Top with cabbage mixture. Roll up jelly roll style. Put each roll into a round 9" pan, curved into a circle. Cut slashes in dough. Brush with duck sauce. Bake according to puff pastry package instructions.

For rugelach, place one circle of malawach on a flat circle and cut into 8-12 triangles. Spread with a thin layer of mustard. Top each with a spoon of cabbage mixture. Roll up each one, rugelach style. Brush with a generous amount of duck sauce and bake at 350 for 35 minutes or untl golden. Repeat the above until you use up the filling.

Can be made in advance and frozen raw before putting on duck sauce. Take out the quantity you need, defrost, brush with duck sauce and bake.

Why not brush with duck sauce in advance? Can they be made entirely and then frozen? Thanks!

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 10:42 am
PinkFridge wrote:
OOTBubby wrote:

2 onions, diced
2 tbsp. oil (approx.)
1 bag coleslaw mix
salt & pepper to taste
pinch nutmeg, optional
mustard or honey mustard
duck sauce

Why not brush with duck sauce in advance? Can they be made entirely and then frozen? Thanks!

You could probably brush with duck sauce in advance; it just might make it hard to only remove some to bake. You could bake completely in advance, but I think anything like this tastes best if you bake it when needed.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 12:00 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
PinkFridge wrote:
OOTBubby wrote:

2 onions, diced
2 tbsp. oil (approx.)
1 bag coleslaw mix
salt & pepper to taste
pinch nutmeg, optional
mustard or honey mustard
duck sauce

You could probably brush with duck sauce in advance; it just might make it hard to only remove some to bake.

You could bake completely in advance, but I think anything like this tastes best if you bake it when needed.

Thanks. I'll keep you posted!

Mevater

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 2:15 pm
Has anyone made this Cabbage Kugel?

https://www.kosher.com/recipe/.....-1610

Ingredients

2 tablespoons oil

3 onions, diced

2 bags (1 pound) shredded green cabbage

1 tablespoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1/4 cup sugar, or to taste

6 eggs, separated

1/3 cup potato starch

For the kugel
Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat one 9- x 13-inch or two 9-inch round pans with nonstick cooking spray.

In a large skillet, heat oil. Sauté onions until light brown. Add cabbage. Cover the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until cabbage is wilted. Add salt, pepper, and sugar. Stir to combine.

Remove from heat and add egg yolks, stirring rapidly while adding, so the eggs don’t curdle. Add potato starch.

Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites until stiff. Fold into cabbage mixture.

Pour into prepared pan(s). Bake for 50 minutes, or until golden.

etky

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 3:06 pm
Mevater wrote:
Has anyone made this Cabbage Kugel?

https://www.kosher.com/recipe/.....-1610

Ingredients

2 tablespoons oil

3 onions, diced

2 bags (1 pound) shredded green cabbage

1 tablespoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1/4 cup sugar, or to taste

6 eggs, separated

1/3 cup potato starch

For the kugel
Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat one 9- x 13-inch or two 9-inch round pans with nonstick cooking spray.

In a large skillet, heat oil. Sauté onions until light brown. Add cabbage. Cover the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until cabbage is wilted. Add salt, pepper, and sugar. Stir to combine.

Remove from heat and add egg yolks, stirring rapidly while adding, so the eggs don’t curdle. Add potato starch.

Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites until stiff. Fold into cabbage mixture.

Pour into prepared pan(s). Bake for 50 minutes, or until golden.

I make something similar. It's basically the same idea but I don't separate the eggs and there's no sugar in the recipe. Oh, and I don't cook the cabbage either. Just brown the onions and add to the raw grated cabbage.
It comes out terrific. Tastes like potato kugel.

Mevater

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 3:27 pm
etky wrote:
I make something similar. It's basically the same idea but I don't separate the eggs and there's no sugar in the recipe. Oh, and I don't cook the cabbage either. Just brown the onions and add to the raw grated cabbage.
It comes out terrific. Tastes like potato kugel.

Thanks.

Where is your recipe from?

Are you able to easily cut and paste your recipe?

etky

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 3:44 pm
Mevater wrote:
Thanks.

Where is your recipe from?

Are you able to easily cut and paste your recipe?

A friend gave it to me:

Saute 2 onions
Mix into
1 bag shredded cabbage - (In Israel that's 400 g, almost 1 pound)
3/4 c. cup potato starch (can use 1 c. flour instead)
1/2 cup oil
4 eggs
1 tbs onion soup mix
Salt pepper to taste
Mix. Pour into 8x8 psn. Bake till golden
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes