Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Soy milk--Pros vs Cons?

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Aug 26 2012, 6:51 pm
For someone who is not exactly lactose intolerent but doesn't like to drink milk because he thinks it's mucogenic (gets too much mucus). I'm not sure if this is true or not, as he doesn't complain if I use regular milk in cooking (as in cream of veggie soup or porridge). He's been drinking soy milk as an alternative but I'm hearing it's not good. Can someone elaborate more on this?

And if soy milk is not healthy, what are the alterantives? Rice, almond, oat (that's about the alternatives we can find here)? I want to make sure the substitute has enough protein and calcium in it.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Aug 26 2012, 9:14 pm
I heard that the health experts refuted the testimony that milk causes mucus. And you see from your cooking that it does not.

Having said that, if you are going to go the pareve milk route, why not line the boxes up in the store and compare them yourself? Assuming the drinker likes them all, of course.

de_goldy

Post Sun, Aug 26 2012, 9:17 pm
I find almond milk to be the best substitute. Rice milk has a more watery feel and sweeter taste. Soy has it's issues. Almond seems to be the best, to me.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Aug 26 2012, 9:39 pm
We use vanilla enriched rice dream.

September June

Post Sun, Aug 26 2012, 10:27 pm
Unfermented soy can act like estrogen in the body. You can read more about it here.

I used to use rice milk as a substitute, but found it to be too watery. I am now using almond milk.

browser

Post Mon, Aug 27 2012, 9:02 am
I'm an almond milk fan too. I heard that soy has hormones in it and I don't want to start with that. I saw an interview of the cast of The Help. One woman said that they were asked to gain weight so that they would look more curvy, like southern women in the sixties. She ate soy ice cream every day for a while and the estrogen gave her a more plump curvy shape!

leah66

Post Mon, Aug 27 2012, 10:22 am
The health benefits of soy milk are controversial. It is nutritious but contains a plant based version of estrogen which some say is linked to certain health risks. While I wouldn't drink it daily, I think it is fine to occasionally use in recipes. Otherwise I would use rice dream because almond milk is expensive.

nylon

Post Mon, Aug 27 2012, 3:34 pm
If you want fat and protein soy is the best option. Rice milk is very low in protein.

If you just want something to get the cereal wet, and can get protein elsewhere, it's all personal preference. Almond is not bad.

dontworry

Post Mon, Aug 27 2012, 3:47 pm
september June - which kinds of soy are not fermented? just soy beans like edamame and soy milk? tofu is fermented, right? what about soy yogurt?

September June

Post Mon, Aug 27 2012, 4:20 pm
Soy sauce and miso paste are fermented.

Tofu, edamame, soy milk, soy yogurt etc. are not fermented and I try to avoid them if possible.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking