Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
One-Year-Olds and Inhalators

ButterflyGarden

Post Mon, Jan 08 2007, 11:04 am
Anyone have tips on how to get a 16 month old to sit and take an inhalator 4 times a day? DD has bronculitious and needs to do this for a week. We tried to show her that it's OK by doing it ourselves and we tried rewarding her for sitting. Any other ideas, short of keeping her in a head lock, Wink would be apprieciated.

greenfire

Post Mon, Jan 08 2007, 11:20 am
Read her a story - buy her a coloring book - keep her occupied. My 19 year old can't sit still either - no kidding here

red sea

Post Mon, Jan 08 2007, 11:22 am
stick the kid in front of a dvd, thats how we do it, shabbos is very hard to get them to sit, read a lot of books to her

ButterflyGarden

Post Mon, Jan 08 2007, 11:28 am
We don't really want her watching Dvds and the last time I gave her crayons she was more interested in eating them then she was in coloring. shock I think she also objects to the mask near her face, not really sure what can be done about that though. Confused

greenfire

Post Mon, Jan 08 2007, 11:38 am
If you have the patience you can actually hold it for her near her face but not touching - maybe this will help. And she definately needs to be distracted - think of something a new toy perhaps if you don't like crayons - what about a puzzel

mummy-bh

Post Mon, Jan 08 2007, 1:25 pm
Blow bubbles, kids are fascinated by them.

This worked for me when I had to take a 20 month old for a blood test.

redhot

Post Mon, Jan 08 2007, 1:29 pm
do u mean a nebulizer? Inhalers take around 20 seconds

If u mean she wont sit still for the nebulizer, I had this problem with my dd at that age. Instead, we got the medicine in inhaler form, and used a aerochamber to administer the drugs. It was so fast, and she didnt fight it.

Its not as effective as the nebulizer, but it was good enough for us at that time (because otherwise she wouldnt have gotten any of the meds in her system)

greenfire

Post Mon, Jan 08 2007, 1:45 pm
She seems too young for inhaler

S.Shcwartz

Post Mon, Jan 08 2007, 2:06 pm
My son is 14 mos old. He needer the nebulizer for three weeks! First of all, we made sure we had a mask. Try to do it when they are calm, not hungry or tired. (I know thats hard since u need to do it how many times a day? four?) Every day something else worked. My 2 yr old would entertain.. we sat at the window, and sometimes just telling them a story. The best thing that worked though was, when I let him walk around with the mask on, he would play and I would run after him with it... Hey, it worked.

lubcoralsprings

Post Mon, Jan 08 2007, 2:20 pm
2 of 3 of my kids have chronic ashma and are constantly on inhalers. At times it can be difficult but it gets easier as they get older. Now my 5 year old can tell me when he thinks he needs medication and can put the medicine in himself. I still like to watch him but it makes things much easier for me.

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, Jan 08 2007, 9:07 pm
I'm very experienced in this area!my kids get bronchitisa at the drop of a hat, currently my 51/2 month old is on the nebulizer, a month ago it was my 2 1/2 year old and the baby!

I hate to hear my kids scream, but if it comes down to them scraming or them not breathing I deal with the screaming and hold the mask over thier face for the 10 minits it takes, then I calm them down by rocking them and singing softly, usually they don't scream for more then two or three minutes,

good luck!

mama247

Post Mon, Jan 08 2007, 9:48 pm
DS has to use the nebulizer now too. He's 14 months. All my kids have had to use them at one time or another, so I'm used to it already. DS hates it and cries most of the time, but as Mommy 3.5 said, it's either that or not being able to breathe. Also, just to make you feel a little better, our doctor said that crying actually helps get more of the meds into their lungs, so in a way it's good! Confused
For kids who are doing it on a constant basis, it does get easier over time, but I've found that one week is not usually enough to get them used to it. I would just hold him and let him cry. Usually, I sing to ds and kiss him a lot. It doesn't really help, but at least I feel like I'm letting him know I love him.
About the inhalor, a one-year old can't do it, as far as I know. I had trouble getting my three-year-old to do it! The nebulizer may take longer, but the results are definitely better.

Iluvmykids

Post Mon, Jan 08 2007, 10:04 pm
have you tried it when she is either napping or sleeping?

CHANY115

Post Mon, Jan 08 2007, 10:15 pm
my 5 week old baby needs to be on a nebulizer 4 times a day.

ButterflyGarden

Post Tue, Jan 09 2007, 9:14 am
So I started trying this. DH holds her in his lap and holds the mask near her face. I sit in front of her and feed her her favorite snack. This has been working so far, but in a little bit I'll have to do it without DH, so we'll see what happens then.

shininglight

Post Tue, Jan 09 2007, 10:26 am
How do you feed her and nebulize her at the same time?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics