Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Lead Paint
1  2  Next

yersp

Post Mon, Jan 08 2007, 8:58 am
Is it the landlords responsibilty to make sure there is no lead paint in the apt?
When I moved in to my apt I only painted my apt alone, I didn't paint the steps leading up to it not realizing that I really should've. Now I see that my daughter started pulling pieces of paint off the wall and I see the ceiling is cracking too. The house is an old house, I don't know how long ago someone lived here and how long ago they painted. I'm afraid the peeling paint should be lead. When I mentioned this to my landlord, he looked at me like I fell off the moon and said he will find out if he has to take care of it. He's such a pig. He just wants his money, thats all. I don't want to make a big deal out of this since we didnt sign a lease and I don't want to be kicked out but I'm afraid of the lead paint. Any suggestions?

greenfire

Post Mon, Jan 08 2007, 1:49 pm
Yup - some cities have a program - check if yours does call City Hall see what law is and what they or you or your landlord can do about it. Usually if you have children under a certain age it is mandatory.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jan 08 2007, 6:21 pm
I don't think so. They can't take a 200 year old building and scrape it down.

ny21

Post Mon, Jan 08 2007, 6:30 pm
I think I saw a kit to test for lead at the homed epot

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jan 08 2007, 6:40 pm
You prob did, but the landlord isn't chayav to strip the paint.

ny21

Post Mon, Jan 08 2007, 6:41 pm
someone once told me you can call 311

greenfire

Post Mon, Jan 08 2007, 6:59 pm
There is a Coalition to end Childhood Lead Poisoning anyone under 6 and pregnant women from houses over a certain age must be protected against lead poisoning. A letter requesting paint to be removed must be done so w/I 30 days of receipt (certified or hand delivered & signed by landlord) by a professional lead certified contractor. Do further research in your area - I couldn't find Hutzin Plutz.

ny21

Post Mon, Jan 08 2007, 7:01 pm
a women once complained about the lead in the yeshivah my kids used to
attend when they were younger.The yeshivah thought she was a troublemaker and did not let her kids back in the next year/

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Jan 08 2007, 11:13 pm
If the landlord scrapes/gets rid of the peeling paint, and then covers with lead -free paint, that's the legal requirement . At least it was till now. (The codes of this city are owner unfriendly, and confusing, with frequent changes. I love NY, but NY doesn't love me Mad )

E59Y, why didn't you sign a lease? And why do you have a problem with your landlord wanting his money? Do you expect to live somewhere for free? (Do you have a problem with the grocer wanting his money? Your dress shop or dressmaker?)

greenfire

Post Tue, Jan 09 2007, 5:36 am
When someone says the landlord just wants money it doesn't mean she doesn't want to pay - it means she expects him to care about her needs as the tenant.

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Jan 09 2007, 5:48 am
Yes, but when someone uses the expression that she uses- which the Torah goes out of its way to add 8 whole words in order not to use- and the attitude that goes along with it, it means something other than that, and is probably the least effective way to get those needs taken care of.

greenfire

Post Tue, Jan 09 2007, 6:05 am
And how would you take care of it - sure don't paint the hallway - my daughter enjoys the lead paint chips anyway - if she does c'v get poisoned I'll just give tzedaka or daven or something like that. NO she needs to be proactive!!!

yoyosma

Post Tue, Jan 09 2007, 7:13 am
Call 311 or the department of housing. As far as I know, the landlord is responsible that for there being no lead paint in the house.
A few years ago my building had major trouble from the govt. because they insisted there was no lead paint, someone did a home test, found lead, brought the govt. in, there was a major rehaul of all the apartments in my building!
I would say call the city, this is your health at stake! Lead poisoning is very serious, it can lead to problems with brain function and growth, sluggishness, etc.

yersp

Post Tue, Jan 09 2007, 3:43 pm
greenfire wrote:
And how would you take care of it - sure don't paint the hallway - my daughter enjoys the lead paint chips anyway - if she does c'v get poisoned I'll just give tzedaka or daven or something like that. NO she needs to be proactive!!!

Thanks greenfire for answering for me! As for you tzena urena,come in my shoes and let me know what you think after. The reason why I said that about my landlord is because that's exactly what he does. When something else wasnt right in the apt and I told him about it, he said he would think about it and get back to me. 2 weeks later he remembered to tell me that really it's not his problem, but because this is the first time that it happened, he'll pay for the repairs. I'm still waiting for my $45.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 09 2007, 3:46 pm
yes it is the landlors responsibility! just call the city. theyll tell u they can get a big fine or suid if its led.

greenfire

Post Tue, Jan 09 2007, 3:51 pm
you are welcome E59Y

yersp

Post Tue, Jan 09 2007, 4:25 pm
greenfire wrote:
you are welcome E59Y

Very Happy

YALT

Post Tue, Jan 09 2007, 4:51 pm
It definitely is the responsibility of the landlord.
Once a year, the gov't sends us letters in the mail, where we need to fill in: Who lives here, a/o preg., under 6 yrs., etc... Are there guard rails on windows, age of building, any chipped paint, etc...
We actually just got the letter this week. We had to fill it in & send it back. If there's any question, the gov't contacts the owner & does further investigation.
Good luck!!!

amother

Post Tue, Jan 09 2007, 5:59 pm
We moved out of our apartment b/c of lead. It was a whole fight with the landlord, but he knew that if he didnt give us our security deposit back, he'd get in serious trouble.
I would say leave- it is extremely dangerous to have lead based paints exposed- like paint chipping etc.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jan 10 2007, 7:06 am
I work for a landlord and they don't hve to remove all the lead paint; they just have to paint over it. Same for asbestos. It has to be contained, not removed.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics