Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Potatoes vs rice

seeker

Post Fri, Aug 31 2012, 2:02 pm
I am trying to lower the amount of carbs I eat but not dramatically enough to totally eliminate them. The most important thing for me at this point is to cut down on the glutinous kind and move towards "better" carbs.

So, for when I really "need" a carb, which is better, rice or potatoes? Which is lower carb? Which has more nutritious value?

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Aug 31 2012, 2:03 pm
Sweet potato is an excellent carb, good for diabetics too.

September June

Post Fri, Aug 31 2012, 2:05 pm
Brown rice and sweet potatoes are both healthier options than white rice and potatoes.

seeker

Post Fri, Aug 31 2012, 2:06 pm
I meant white potatoes, but thanks. I know what's REALLY good, but when I'm choosing from between two in-between options I'm not sure whether one is better than another. I'm not so well versed in this stuff because I used to be fine with any and all carbs but now I seem to have become sensitive to them.

seeker

Post Fri, Aug 31 2012, 2:12 pm
Yes, the rice would be brown, thanks. So brown rice > white potatoes? In which ways - more nutrition, less carbs, calories...?

zaq

Post Fri, Aug 31 2012, 2:15 pm
brown rice would be better than white potato unless you also ate the potato peel. White rice vs. white potato? Go for the potato. white rice is stripped of its nutrients in the polishing process. enriched white rice has vitamins added in powder form; rinsing the rice washes away those vitamins.

zaq

Post Fri, Aug 31 2012, 2:16 pm
For a truly informed decision, google "Nutrition Facts" for half a cup of rice and half a cup of potatoes, and compare.

MamaBear

Post Fri, Aug 31 2012, 2:16 pm
http://www.livestrong.com/arti.....toes/

amother

Post Fri, Aug 31 2012, 2:26 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:

Not many diabetics can have sweet potato

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Aug 31 2012, 2:40 pm
amother wrote:
MaBelleVie wrote:

Not many diabetics can have sweet potato

Really? Sorry, I was misinformed. A couple of the diabetics I know were told its good for them to eat sweet potatoes.

spring13

Post Fri, Aug 31 2012, 3:04 pm
If you're eating brown rice, or potatoes cooked and served in their jackets, both are healthy. Not that you should eat them exclusively, but neither of those options are junk food by any means.

seeker

Post Fri, Aug 31 2012, 3:11 pm
So that link Mamabear posted says white potatoes have lots of vitamin C and potassium - does that mean in the peel or in the whole potato? I'm not a huge fan of potato peels but I could certainly use the vitamins and potassium as I don't love a lot of fruits that have them (though I treated myself to strawberries for Shabbos!)

September June

Post Fri, Aug 31 2012, 3:15 pm
Most of the nutrients from a potato are in the peel.

seeker

Post Fri, Aug 31 2012, 3:20 pm
Dang, it figures. Why aren't any of the things I LIKE good for me?!

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Aug 31 2012, 3:31 pm
Eat a mix. that's the best thing. Sometimes one sometimes another. they each have nutrients.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking