Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Sephardic Food
Looking for Morrocan salad recipes

mommyof2boys

Post Mon, Sep 10 2012, 10:31 am
Does anyone have recipes and directions for the following?

roasted pepper salad
cooked carrot salad
red sauce salad
some sort of eggplant

what else?

what are the traditional salads you are serving on chag?

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Sep 10 2012, 11:05 am
I can't post now, but I do have recipes for all of those. I'll post later be'H.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Sep 11 2012, 9:36 pm
Roasted pepper salad
- 4 red peppers
- 4 yellow or orange peppers
- several cloves garlic, skin removed
- lemon juice, salt, olive oil

Heat broiler. Core and cut peppers lengthwise in halves. Remove seeds and membranes from peppers.
Cut in 1/4 lengthwise--you want it flat. Line a foil baking pan with foil, place peppers in a single layer. Place garlic cloves amidst of peppers. Sprinke some salt. Broil till skins are all burnt and black (you may have to rearrange peppers halfway). Turn off broiler, gather up foil and cover peppers till cool to handle. Once cool, drain off liquid that accumulates and peel offf skin. Cut/slice into small bites. Dress with lemon juice (or balsamic vinegar), olive oil. Keeps for 3-5 days.

Roasted aubergine salad
- 4 large aubergines
- 1/2 red peppers, cored, seeded, membrane removed
- leaves from 1-2 stalks parsley, chopped

Heat broiler. Cut aubergines in half lengthwise. Place cut side down on a foil baking pan that's line with foil. Sprinkle salt. Broil till outside skin is charred and blackened. Leave to cool. Scoop up inside and mash. Chop red peppers in tiny bits, add to aubergines together with chopped parsley leaves. Season with lemon juice and olive oil

For RH, we always serve beetroot salad. Top/stalk bits are used for simanim. Scrub beetroot well, trim top/tail if necessary. Wrap in foil and roast till soft (1hr or so ). Peel and cut into bite-size cubes. Add orange juice, salt, cumin seeds, olive oil for dressing. You can also do artichoke heart salad with plain vinaigrette dressing.

Last edited by Mrs Bissli on Wed, Sep 12 2012, 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Sep 11 2012, 10:12 pm
mommyof2boys wrote:
Does anyone have recipes and directions for the following?

roasted pepper salad
cooked carrot salad
red sauce salad
some sort of eggplant

what else?

what are the traditional salads you are serving on chag?

Roasted pepper salad: Broil peppers in 2 or more different colors. Let cool, peel off skin. Slice in thin strips and season with a tiny drizzle of olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Add slices of fresh garlic.

Carrot salad: Peel carrots and boil just until a fork can pierce. Slice in rings of equal size. Season with lots of fresh lemon juice, a little bit of vinegar and olive oil. Season with paprika, cumin and salt. Add fresh crushed garlic and fresh chopped cilantro.

Red sauce salad: like matbucha? Chop a bunch of soft tomatoes. Add a few cloves of garlic, and some roasted bell pepper and jalapeno. Little bit of olive oil. Season with paprika, salt and little curry powder. Combine in a pot and let it simmer a long time.

Eggplant: Chop small pieces, lay out flat on baking sheet and bake until softened. Fry over high fire until crisp. Season with vinegar, and a lot of paprika and cumin, plus salt to taste. Add fresh chopped garlic and fresh chopped cilantro.

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Sep 11 2012, 11:40 pm
Cumin. Put a little cumin in the dressing.

BeershevaBubby

Post Wed, Sep 12 2012, 12:23 am
Eggplant, cubed
red pepper, diced
parsely, chopped
garlic, minced
black pepper to taste
dash of salt
vinegar or lemon juice (I prefer lemon juice for this)
olive oil

flour, garlic powder, black pepper for dredging
small bit of oil

Dredge eggplant in seasoned flour, spread on a cookie sheet. Drizzle oil over and toss to coat. Then bake until the eggplant is golden brown and crispy.

Drain on a paper towel and put into a bowl. Add the red pepper, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper, vinegar/lemon juice and olive oil. Mix, refrigerate overnight and serve chilled.

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Sep 12 2012, 8:55 pm
I'm also doing shaved fennel salad. Remove the outmost tough layer, trim green leaves on the top. Cut in half lengthwise. Shave or chop fennel bulbs very thinly. You can also add sectioned fresh orange segments. For dressing, it's combination of juice from 1/2 orange and 1/2 lemon, salt, olive oil. Because of orange/orange juice it's less tart.

mommyof2boys

Post Wed, Sep 12 2012, 9:06 pm
yum I love fennel! but im usually the only one who eats it. I also make it with oil, lemon and salt

do you know how long the red sauce/matbucha can last in the fridge? if I make it thursday can it still be eaten up to tuesday? what about the roasted pepper salad? I just grilled the peppers tonight (wed). if I put oil and spices can it sit in the fridge and continue to be good? im seriving it sunday night but would love for it to be good for tuesday too....

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Sep 12 2012, 9:09 pm
mommyof2boys wrote:
yum I love fennel! but im usually the only one who eats it. I also make it with oil, lemon and salt

do you know how long the red sauce/matbucha can last in the fridge? if I make it thursday can it still be eaten up to tuesday? what about the roasted pepper salad? I just grilled the peppers tonight (wed). if I put oil and spices can it sit in the fridge and continue to be good? im seriving it sunday night but would love for it to be good for tuesday too....

Matbucha should be fine in the fridge, but it freezes very well so you may want to do that. I would leave the peppers unseasoned (in a separate container) until sunday night to keep freshest.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics