Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Computer viruses

Ozmom

Post Tue, Apr 26 2005, 9:41 pm
Every once in a while I get a bout of several emails a day with viruses attached that my norton antivirus deletes for me.
Its almost like its a seasonal thing happens all at once or not at all.
Does anyone know if its anything with my computer.
the addresses are all unknown to me so how did my address get to them?
a bunch of them at the beginning were Jewish so maybe someone who had my address on their list had a virus and my address got stolen.
does anyone know what I can do to prevent it. its really annoying even though I'm protected coz it slows down my email from coming in coz norton is busy working on the infected emails.

1stimer

Post Tue, Apr 26 2005, 11:10 pm
it's called spam. Get yourself some anti-spam software or if it's really bad change your email address.

Ozmom

Post Tue, Apr 26 2005, 11:32 pm
thanks
know any good antispam stuff?

Tefila

Post Wed, Apr 27 2005, 12:51 am
Oz thats what I would do change my email!

SWatson

Post Wed, Apr 27 2005, 1:17 am
Don't ever give anybody your email on the net ie unknown forums, surveys, games etc. Once you sign up for this kind of unknown stuff here and there, forget ab clean email box.
A thing you can do for this is open some junk email account (hotmail or yahoo) and sign that account up as many times as you want anywhere you want.
It's also good to have antivirus intalled on the computer and the firewall, thoe two are usually enough to protect you from garbage.

1stimer

Post Wed, Apr 27 2005, 1:37 am
Ozmom wrote:
thanks
know any good antispam stuff?

no but sometimes your internet providor offers it for a little extra

Ozmom

Post Wed, Apr 27 2005, 6:17 pm
BUT I JUST GOT A NEW ADDRESS
arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggghhhhhhh
I don't usually sign up for things, usually when something asks for my email I skip it.

another thing: I have zone alarm and it keeps slowing down or stopping my internet, it turns off my aim or prevents me from accessing it which is no biggy but sometimes when I want to get on the internet it gives me one of those can't be reached pages or it just slows it down and I need to turn it off. Like just now I wanted to check the weather on yahoo and I got that site can't be reached page.

those problems increased when I updated my zonealarm.

Rivka

Post Fri, Apr 29 2005, 12:52 pm
get rid of zone alarm.

SWatson

Post Sat, Apr 30 2005, 6:21 pm
Zone Alarm does those kind of things, but you will still need a firewall

gryp

Post Wed, May 04 2005, 6:14 pm
after a little research I settled on Computer Associates for an antivirus, Lavasoft Adaware SE Personal to get rid of spyware (free), and Yahoo toolbar for a search engine and pop-up blocker (free).

Tefila

Post Wed, May 04 2005, 6:50 pm
RG cool anything else going for free that I should know about. Also aren't u all suspicious there may be a catch to this 'free stuff'

gryp

Post Wed, May 04 2005, 6:59 pm
Very Happy
the Lavasoft Ad-aware program is recommended as second best in a computer magazine I keep getting in the mail for some reason. first best is something called spybot or something I dont know about, if anyones interested ill look it up for you. but this one is also highly recommended.
heres the link, I just happened to have found it:
http://www.download.com/3000-2.....utton

as far as the yahoo toolbar goes, all the toolbars (yahoo, google, msn,...)are free and they come with popup blockers, and my wonderful computer magazine says yahoo toolbar is best and google comes in second. the popup blocker works nicely, I get very few popups.

the antivirus by Computer Associates I got because it was cheaper than the others and it seems to be doing its job although I guess I wouldnt know unless I had the more expensive ones. but it is recommended by microsoft.

ForeverYoung

Post Wed, May 04 2005, 7:36 pm
Quote:
get rid of zone alarm.

NEVER EVER DO THAT!

adjust your setting instead!

if A has your address & his computer was infected, many viruses will e-mail themselves to EVERYONE in their phone book, so your address is out. not much u can do about it.

may be inform your friends that a virus is sirculating amongst you, so everybody will do some cleaning

and never ever post your e-mail on-line - it will be found & spammed

if you need to, use ozmomATserver.com or no-spam-ozmom@server.com

roza

Post Wed, May 04 2005, 7:53 pm
all these google yahoo toolbars can cause problems.
don't use microsoft exploreer! use Mozilla firefox- you will forget about pop ups! and it has google in toolbar.
get this best browser here:

http://www.mozilla.org/

---
Hi FY!! great to see you!!!
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

ForeverYoung

Post Wed, May 04 2005, 8:28 pm
Hi, Roza Smile

and their e-mail client is great as well & much safer too
(thunderbird)

roza

Post Thu, May 05 2005, 1:04 am
Ozmom wrote:
BUT I JUST GOT A NEW ADDRESS
arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggghhhhhhh

of all my email adresses GMAIL (google email service) filters SPAM the best!
who is your email provider?

gryp

Post Thu, Jun 23 2005, 6:07 pm
by the way, there is a new kind of "phishing" done by hackers to steal your personal info off your computer. they set up identical websites to those people go to often and when you type in which website you want to go to in your address bar, they redirect your computer to their phony site. this way they can steal your usernames, passwords, and any other personal info that you work with on your computer (especially if you bank online).

websites are starting to get certificates that let you know that they are the real website. or they use the "Veri-sign" symbol that shows they are authentic. but for all the other websites in the meantime, the only thing to do is to download the Netcraft toolbar (www.netcraft.com)- it ranks the websites you go to according to how safe they are and lets you report suspicious sites too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics