Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Sensory integration - how to get help?

amother

Post Thu, Sep 20 2012, 12:31 pm
My 1 year old has been challenging since birth. Whenever I spoke to the doctor or to friends people just talked about fussiness, having a highly active baby, and that DC will eventually calm down. Now that we're dealing with a toddler it's still about having a very active child, hyper, etc. I've been trying to figure this out, and started reading just a bit about sensory integration issues. And DC fits every mark for some subtype of it, being under-responsive to touch (as well as a few other symptoms elsewhere, but that affects our lives much less.)

The thing is that DC is also developmentally spot-on and actually advanced for most things. I just looked at the checklist that we get in the doctor's office for a child 3 months older, and my DC is b'h hitting those marks too in everything except for the fine motor skills, which are a little behind. How do I get someone to take this seriously and get DC evaluated by an OT? DC does not have developmental delays, at least not according to the book, but this is very real for us.

ANyone been there?

baskrox

Post Thu, Sep 20 2012, 12:40 pm
Ask around in your neighborhood or from your pediatrician for a reliable OT and definitely have DC evaluated. DC can have "sensory issues" without having other OT issues or other developmental issues. Depending on your insurance, the OT sessions may even be covered. I have 2 kids in OT, twice a week. One for sensory and one for fine motor. The OT seems to work and both kids enjoy going. Also, the OT is available to answer any questions and give ideas for thing to do at home that can help each child. Good Luck!

baskrox

Post Thu, Sep 20 2012, 12:45 pm
Also, your pediatrician should have a checklist that you and/or babysitter/daycare provider can fill out with various questions regarding your child's attention/balance/sensory/etc... that can help pinpoint areas that can be worked on to help him/her.

amother

Post Fri, Sep 21 2012, 9:09 am
Is it possible to know whether insurance will pay for it?
Does early intervention do sensory issues? The only thing my insurance said is that they don't pay for anything that early intervention or schools would provide, even if we don't get it through them.

amother

Post Fri, Sep 21 2012, 10:06 am
I'm an OT, not in NY but I am familiar with the system there. EI funding is specifically for developmental delay, not just any problem that a therapist would work on. Sensory processing on its own is not enough to qualify. Medicaid does not pay for sensory integration therapy. If a child has delays, the therapist can usually justify therapy and work on sensory processing too. Other insurance companies differ. You can definitely find a private pay therapist to work with you. Get recommendations for someone specifically experienced in SI. It's not that people don't think SPD is a problem, but the government will not pay for treatment.

amother

Post Fri, Sep 21 2012, 4:21 pm
Thanks for the info!

We are not in NY and not on medicaid, though Smile We are on state employee's insurance, though, and they sound strict on what therapies they will cover and what they don't. Some people have suggested I have her evaluated by the early intervention people, but if they won't cover it what's the point? Maybe the OT clinic will know if we can try to go that route?

amother

Post Fri, Sep 21 2012, 4:53 pm
It's definitely worth calling a clinic that sees both EI kids and those who use insurance. Explain that it will be SI only, and ask if they think either EI or your insurance will cover it. They get these questions all the time, they should be able to answer you easily. Otherwise it might be worth doing a one-time consult privately with someone highly recommended. She can explain exactly what's going on, and give you homework to "treat" dc yourself.

the world's best mom

Post Sat, Sep 22 2012, 10:34 pm
If her fine motor skills are a bit delayed as well, that may be a reason they would give OT. Though out of NY it's harder to get services.

CherryBerry

Post Sun, Sep 23 2012, 10:15 pm
she might be showing the signs that will eventually turn into ADHD when she is older.
It is known that kids with ADHD were very active and fussy as babies.
though not every active and fussy baby ends up with ADHD.

Kugglegirl

Post Sun, Sep 23 2012, 10:38 pm
Get your pediatrician to give a referral for an OT eval. if your insurance requires a referral. Otherwise, find a good OT who works w. young children & sensory issues & have an eval & hopefully OT therapy through your medical insurance.

This is how I got sensory integration therapy for one of my children. The child did not qualify for EI. In my county the EI evaluation team pretty much tries to screen people out & not provide services. The child has to show a 25% global delay in the OT eval portion to get the OT services.

It seemed to me that I could argue that my child had specific areas where there was 25% or more discrepancy from normal- like did it take my kid 25% longer to get dressed due to having to line up the seam of the socks, or did my child have 25% or more reduction in options of what the kid would eat due to taste & texture issues with foods? But that was more subtle than what they are looking for.

It's really good that you are tuned in to your child's development & picked up on this now. Getting therapy now can help your child immensely in the long run.

amother
Red

Post Fri, Dec 01 2017, 2:10 pm
I know this thread is old. Im dealing with an ot now for adhd with over active sensory. Wanna know if OT will help

Kugglegirl

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 10:21 pm
OT can help, if the OT is any good with sensory integration. Did the OT bring up the topic or are you looking in to it now?

Strudel

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 4:12 am
I'm an OT specializing in sensory Integration.
If you have a few minutes to spare look at Inyard's fb page and blog. They have lots of great ideas and posts about SI.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)