Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Kids eating garbage in carpool

amother

Post Fri, Sep 21 2012, 12:14 pm
Anon because I've talked to someone else about this.

Anyway, I do preschool carpool, once each week, but because of different circumstances I've done it 3 times this week. Anyway, every morning, I have 5 - 3 and 4 year olds, in my car, including my own.

3 of these kids (not my own and another) eat absolute garbage during morning carpool - this is from 8:30-9am, by the time I pick them all up and bring them to school.

Here is the list thus far:
2 types of bissli
marshmallow twists
brownies
chocolate chip cookies
gushers
cheese doodles

Not only is my car looking disgusting with the wrappers and the crumbs, it makes me nauseous to see them eating these foods this early in the morning.

I want there to be a no eating policy in the carpool so I asked the other mother who doesn't send the garbage, and has even commented on the "interesting breakfast" of the other kids. She said, I could say just in my car, or something to that affect. I don't want to alienate people, but it's just ridiculous that my car is gross and I feel like it's just such a bad situation all around.

What do you think?

Chayalle

Post Fri, Sep 21 2012, 12:23 pm
If you want your car to stay clean, or for whatever reason, it bothers you that they are eating in the car, by all means make a rule that no eating is to take place in your car.

I wouldn't differentiate between what type of food. For example, I wouldn't say "your child can eat apples in my car but no bissli". I would just say "no food".

I don't get giving these kind of snacks at those hours in the morning either....but would make it a general "no food" policy.

black sheep

Post Fri, Sep 21 2012, 12:30 pm
do you mean to say that brownies aren't breakfast food?

it is very frustrating to have crumbs and wrappers in the car after every carpool. I have a no eating policy during carpool (although not other times.) but we can't decide what snacks other parents choose to send their kids.

Raisin

Post Fri, Sep 21 2012, 1:28 pm
maybe the parents have got into a habit of bribing the kids to get dressed and ready quickly?

Having a no eating rule is perfectly normal. My kids are not allowed to eat in the car normally too. Kids are messy people.

EmesOrNT

Post Fri, Sep 21 2012, 1:35 pm
Chances are the kids are eating their afternoon snack for breakfast. Regardless of what you think is healthy for snack, that isn't your business. Your concern is the car, not their health. As other posters said, a no eating policy is a good way to start.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Sep 21 2012, 1:54 pm
black sheep wrote:
do you mean to say that brownies aren't breakfast food?it is very frustrating to have crumbs and wrappers in the car after every carpool. I have a no eating policy during carpool (although not other times.) but we can't decide what snacks other parents choose to send their kids.

Only on Shabbos Smile

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Sep 21 2012, 3:54 pm
I've always had a "no eating or drinking anything except plain water" rule in my car -- my car is never sticky and it's a breeze to clean for Pesach! It's not that difficult to enforce -- just be sure to let the other parents know ahead of time in case the kids really are eating are eating cheese doodles for breakfast.

Chocoholic

Post Fri, Sep 21 2012, 4:22 pm
There I thought they were getting garbage out of the garbage can and eating it.

What they eat is just yummy snack food Wink
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers