Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Using the same milk?

hardwrknmom

Post Wed, Apr 27 2005, 10:35 am
I will make my baby a full bottle of milk and then sometimes she just drinks a few sips. can I save that same milk for later on in the day,
If its put in the fridge??

or can it not be used at all?

Pearl

Post Wed, Apr 27 2005, 10:41 am
I vaguely remember saving milk let's say if she would have left half at least. I would add a new, hot portion to make it into a full bottle again.
but maybe you can check with the manufacturer. usually their phone number of a help desk is on the package.

1stimer

Post Wed, Apr 27 2005, 11:06 am
If it's been warmed up then it shouldn't be kept. This is for expressed breast milk; not sure how it applies to cow's milk. Which is really annoying especially when the supply is low! Twisted Evil

I'm not sure about whether u can keep it if it hasn't been warmed. I think I remember reading that the child's saliva can be a breading ground for bacteria. Anyone else knows about this?

hardwrknmom

Post Wed, Apr 27 2005, 11:16 am
thanks for all your replies.

I figured if it was warmed up the (whole milk) it shouldnt be used again, even if she doesnt drink a drop.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Wed, Apr 27 2005, 2:04 pm
with breastmilk...I've read not to, but we have. shock
I don't see why cow's milk you couldn't....but if you're nervous, better safe than sorry

Pearl

Post Thu, Apr 28 2005, 4:05 am
just to clarify - I was refering to formula, not breast or whole milk

hisorerus

Post Mon, May 02 2005, 3:48 am
Last formula can I saw said you can put it in the fridge for reuse within 1 hour of making it.

Didi

Post Mon, May 02 2005, 4:04 pm
the issue is with germs collecting in the bottle. My friend a pediatrician had told me that I can keep it for an hour or two. But ofcourse the formula company's will tell you to throw it out. as they want to make more money.

supermom

Post Mon, May 02 2005, 4:14 pm
or maybe they don't want to run into any unwanted trouble from customers that have their own bright ideas in life with suing and all.

1stimer

Post Mon, May 02 2005, 5:07 pm
Does anyone know what the 'rules' are with baby food?

raizy

Post Mon, May 02 2005, 10:15 pm
with formalla if you have made a fresh bottle and the baby only drank a bit and u put it in the fridge right away then it shouldnt be a problem.
but if it is old 3 hrs or more I would probery shuck it out. also if it smells bad I would chuck it out..

also in the summer I wouldnt let it stay out to long. eighter the baby drinks it up or I would chuck it . it gets spoiled faster in the summer.but in the winter I would say 3 to 4 hrs max.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Wed, May 04 2005, 11:03 pm
a plus to breastmilk - they say it's good unrefrigerated about 8 hrs!!
re: baby food jars...they say not to feed directly from the jar, I think it's okay, though. You can reheat more than once - says so on the jar.

supermom

Post Thu, May 05 2005, 2:02 pm
8 hours!! shock now that is to shocking to believe it will get all yucky by hour number three at least no? would you leave your milk that we drink out for 8 whole hours and still drink it?

Yael

Post Thu, May 05 2005, 3:30 pm
actually it takes about 12 hours for cow's milk to start spoiling. I know b/c I once left a sippy of milk in my toddler's bed and he didnt finish it that night but in the morning after being out all night he drank it before I realized and so I tasted it to see if it was bad and it tasted fine. it gets sweeter when its been out a while. and he had no stomachache or anything from it.
I wouldnt recommend it but still its good to know.
This does not apply to formula though!!! I think that formula starts to spoil after 4-6 hrs.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics