Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Kosher Red Mango Locations?

MrsMom

Post Thu, Sep 27 2012, 1:38 pm
The locations I know that are kosher is:

Fresh Meadows, Kohls shopping center
Rego Park in Queens Center Mall
One of the ones in Downtown Manhattan 111 Fulton Street

Anyone else know of any others? I think it would be handy to create a complete RM kosher certified store list! Is there any Midtown?

Last edited by MrsMom on Fri, Sep 28 2012, 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total

Cookies n Cream

Post Thu, Sep 27 2012, 1:46 pm
What type of store is it
What do they sell?

MrsMom

Post Thu, Sep 27 2012, 1:50 pm
Its a chain of yummy, fresh, natural, relatively healthy frozen yogurt. At my old job I used to get fruit parfaits for lunch, and now I have a new one no where near those red mangos. Its a popular chain and I would love to know if any others are kosher in the city!

http://www.redmangousa.com/

perquacky

Post Thu, Sep 27 2012, 1:51 pm
Kew Gardens Hills, on Main Street.

They sell self-serve frozen yogurt, with self-serve toppings. I don't eat frozen yogurt, but my kids liked it. Lucky for them, they didn't have to pay for it!

For what I spent there, I could have bought 4 cartons of ice cream (which I do eat) on sale.

Still, it's always nice to have new kosher eatery options.

MrsMom

Post Thu, Sep 27 2012, 1:55 pm
perquacky wrote:
Kew Gardens Hills, on Main Street.

They sell self-serve frozen yogurt, with self-serve toppings. I don't eat frozen yogurt, but my kids liked it. Lucky for them, they didn't have to pay for it!

For what I spent there, I could have bought 4 cartons of ice cream (which I do eat) on sale.

Still, it's always nice to have new kosher eatery options.

Berrylicious? I agree. Its fun but after a few I realized how absurd the prices are, and the cruelty of only having large cups.

perquacky

Post Thu, Sep 27 2012, 1:57 pm
Oh! Did I name the wrong place? It was dark . . . I was tired that night. . . . Very Happy

Sorry for knocking Red Mango. Maybe the prices are better there.

self-actualization

Post Thu, Sep 27 2012, 1:58 pm
Here's the deal -

Any hechsher on chain stores that remain open on Shabbos is bdieved. My rabbi has told me that it is akin to a 1950s hechsher. (PM me if you would like to know who my rabbi is). My rabbi also told my family not to eat at these places.

The store the last user was posting about is Berrylicious, which is not Red Mango. Berrylicious on Main Street is closed on Shabbos and is under the Vaad of Queens. Red Mango and other similar chain stores are under a different hechsher and stay open on Shabbos, which makes proper hashgacha almost impossible (because nobody is going to "pop in" on Shabbos).

MommytoB

Post Thu, Sep 27 2012, 2:02 pm
In general, this is a pretty complete list of kosher places in Manhattan with the name of certifying agency -- and it is updated regularly. If it's not on here, there is a good chance it is not accepted by the majority:

http://www.ckj.org/docs/Kosher.....r.pdf

Last edited by MommytoB on Thu, Sep 27 2012, 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

nyer1

Post Thu, Sep 27 2012, 2:06 pm
It's highly likely that even if the store isn't certified, the yogurt in the machines is all the Same so u could get at least plain yogurt without toppings

Barbara

Post Thu, Sep 27 2012, 2:18 pm
self-actualization wrote:
Here's the deal -

Any hechsher on chain stores that remain open on Shabbos is bdieved. My rabbi has told me that it is akin to a 1950s hechsher. (PM me if you would like to know who my rabbi is). My rabbi also told my family not to eat at these places.

The store the last user was posting about is Berrylicious, which is not Red Mango. Berrylicious on Main Street is closed on Shabbos and is under the Vaad of Queens. Red Mango and other similar chain stores are under a different hechsher and stay open on Shabbos, which makes proper hashgacha almost impossible (because nobody is going to "pop in" on Shabbos).

No, it makes a hashgacha that your rabbi accepts impossible.

But just like the fine folks at Nabisco, Thomas' English muffins, and dozens of other companies have heckshers that are widely accepted although they almost certainly manufacture products on Shabbat and Yom Tov, so too does the local Dunkin Donuts and Baskin Robbins have a widely accepted hecksher.

By the way, what was wrong with a hecksher in the 50s. Are you saying that everyone was eating treyf back then?

I've never been to Red Mango, but did find this: http://www.redmangousa.com/nutrition/kosher/

self-actualization

Post Thu, Sep 27 2012, 2:49 pm
In the 1950s people relied on ingredients in order to judge what was kosher or not.

Nowadays we have more sophisticated kashrus organizations that get involved on a much deeper level and visit factories and even ingredient factories.

I met a man who produces bread in France for Costco. He told me that his mashgiach caught the French yeast producers "starting" their yeast with alcohol that was yayin nesech. He needed to intervene somehow and make the process right in order to be approved for sale in Costco under a nationally recognized hechsher. He said that the general hechsher organization in France didn't care about this level of granularity in the kashrus process and would never have found out about it.

It really comes down to how much you care in particular or are content taking a hazy, ingredients based approach.

MrsMom

Post Thu, Sep 27 2012, 2:56 pm
Barbara wrote:
Here's the deal -

No, it makes a hashgacha that your rabbi accepts impossible.

But just like the fine folks at Nabisco, Thomas' English muffins, and dozens of other companies have heckshers that are widely accepted although they almost certainly manufacture products on Shabbat and Yom Tov, so too does the local Dunkin Donuts and Baskin Robbins have a widely accepted hecksher.

By the way, what was wrong with a hecksher in the 50s. Are you saying that everyone was eating treyf back then?

I've never been to Red Mango, but did find this: http://www.redmangousa.com/nutrition/kosher/

Yeah, except certain flavors (ie "mochi") is never allowed in certified kosher stores. They can call it kosher but it doesn't mean anything to me unless its certified.

Re: plain yogurt- thats always a possibility. Not much different than getting a slurpee in my opinion, but I want to get a parfait! :-)

Aetrsnrady

Post Fri, Sep 28 2012, 12:04 am
Here's the deal -

The rabbi who gives hashgscha to red mango in queens has been known to walk to the stores he certifies (cold stone on union turnpike, for example) on Shabbos

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Sep 28 2012, 3:30 pm
MrsMom wrote:

One of the ones in Downtown Manhattan 111 Fulton Street

It's not Kosher. the rabbi who gives the supervision is not reliable.

mom_13

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 7:05 pm
Anybody know if there are any red mango locations that are kosher and or which specific items are usually kosher? TIA.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, May 04 2021, 8:19 pm
Binghamton campus!!!
Thank you JLIC
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries