Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
ISO someone to build me a shlock for my Sukkah
1  2  Next

Happy 2B

Post Fri, Sep 28 2012, 2:22 am
I'm pretty sure its too late for this year but since they are predicting rain. I was hoping to find someone to build me a schlock in Brooklyn for my small.sukkah 6X8 . Does anyone know anyone who can do this tomorrow, Motzei Shabbos or Sunday?? I know its late.... If anyone does please do let me know. Im willing to pay about $200.

Last edited by Happy 2B on Fri, Sep 28 2012, 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total

Marion

Post Fri, Sep 28 2012, 2:24 am
What's a "shlock"? (Clearly I can't help you, just want to learn from this...)

Happy 2B

Post Fri, Sep 28 2012, 2:40 am
A tarp type thingy contraption to cover Sukkah when it rains. Some of them roll out or open like an awning.

Marion

Post Fri, Sep 28 2012, 3:50 am
I always thought that the rain had to be able to get in for the sukkah to be kosher.

Raisin

Post Fri, Sep 28 2012, 4:12 am
Marion wrote:
I always thought that the rain had to be able to get in for the sukkah to be kosher.

you close it when sukka is not in use. Open it when using it. That way chairs and tables stay dry.

Marion

Post Fri, Sep 28 2012, 6:54 am
Gotcha...I guess now that I live somewhere that we pretty much move into the sukkah...I have trouble remembering a time/place that we were lucky if we could eat in the sukkah without central heating...

chocolate chips

Post Fri, Sep 28 2012, 8:30 am
Dh can build one but I doubt he will have time before sukkos....I will ask him though!

Happy 2B

Post Fri, Sep 28 2012, 8:32 am
Please do ask him chocolate chips.

shalhevet

Post Fri, Sep 28 2012, 8:33 am
You can make your own from heavy duty plastic tablecloth type stuff. Just tie it to one side. But I don't know if that would hold up in stormy weather.

chocolate chips

Post Fri, Sep 28 2012, 8:35 am
I asked him but he said he doubts he will have time since ours is still not done (he spent the whole last night doing his parents which is still not done!)

Also he doesn't know what it involves (like to build from scratch etc) so he doesn't have time to get the stuff needed.

Sorry Sad you could always just get a tarp and throw it over if it rains...well just be careful who pulls it off!

Happy 2B

Post Fri, Sep 28 2012, 8:46 am
OK thanx anyway chocolate chips.

yo'ma

Post Fri, Sep 28 2012, 8:50 am
My sister had someone do it for her, but I think it cost more than that and it was a few years ago. If you want I can ask her for the name and number, but I highly doubt they would be able to do it this year. Le me know.

Happy 2B

Post Fri, Sep 28 2012, 8:55 am
yo'ma wrote:
My sister had someone do it for her, but I think it cost more than that and it was a few years ago. If you want I can ask her for the name and number, but I highly doubt they would be able to do it this year. Le me know.

Yes please ask her. Im not looking for something fancy. That's why I was looking to spend this much. In the future I as planning on ordering one from the sukkah company but since my Sukkah is very small and likely to grow I didn't want to invest in the more permanent kind of Shylock's yet. Yes please ask her!

solo

Post Fri, Sep 28 2012, 11:44 am
A-z handyman? Dunno how much it'd cost but they're still advertising succah services

peppermint

Post Fri, Sep 28 2012, 11:52 am
I never knew people get these things custom made. We just buy a tarp from Home Depot.

Happy 2B

Post Fri, Sep 28 2012, 11:52 am
Thank you solo. Do you have their number and do you know if they are good?

Happy 2B

Post Fri, Sep 28 2012, 11:57 am
peppermint wrote:
I never knew people get these things custom made. We just buy a tarp from Home Depot.
how do you get it on and off? Does all the rain come in the suukah when you take it off? I can't easily reach my sukkah roof to pull a regular tarp on and off. Also it will blow away etc. But yes a tarp is an option.

gp2.0

Post Fri, Sep 28 2012, 1:54 pm
My question is how do people manage with a tarp? Last night it rained so much that the whole tarp and scach collapsed from the water weight. Oy...

Post Fri, Sep 28 2012, 2:46 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
My question is how do people manage with a tarp? Last night it rained so much that the whole tarp and scach collapsed from the water weight. Oy...

My husband angled a tarp attached to PVC pipe off the roof. He put on two ropes which dangle on the other side of the roof. It looks, like a giant windowshade. It is quick to put up and take down. The rain angles off. It was inexpensive.

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Sep 28 2012, 2:47 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
We have a strong wooden sukkah with strong wooden beams going across the top to support the schach. So the tarp is not resting on flimsy bamboo mats, it is being supported by 2x4s that are attached to the walls.

Last edited by amother on Fri, Mar 18 2016, 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries