Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Both parents working part time?

Meema2Kids

Post Thu, Jan 11 2007, 2:46 pm
DH and I were talking about my/our work arrangements... currently, I work about 12 hours a week, I go into the office one morning a week and work the rest from home.

DH works full time, in the office.

We could actually get more hours total if we both worked 30 hours a week (or even if I worked a bit less). For 30 hrs/wk we are eligible for benefits - health ins. etc. at most companies in our field.

Dh would have more time to pursue other things, such as learning. I would be able to advance my career more than I am now.

We could limit working time to mostly when the older children were in school, and limit childcare for younger ones as much as possible. But what about during school vacations? I guess one of us would need to have flexibility.

Has anyone done something like this, where both spouses work part time instead of one spouse being the major breadwinner? How did it work out?

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jan 12 2007, 7:19 am
When the kids had chicken pox we had to take turns but that was about it. we'd never be able to afford everything if we worked less for any length of time.

Pickle Lady

Post Fri, Jan 12 2007, 7:47 am
Would it mean that both of you have to change jobs or is it just a change in the hours that both of you work.

Maybe you can speak to your companies and see if you can do it as a trial.

Is there any really benefit to you being considered full time with benefits if your family benefits are under your husband (sorry if I am wrong, I am just assuming that it is).

Do you get paid for every hour you work? Is your job a kind of job that has billable hours?

I have never done if...but I did once buy a book regarding working mom that showed all different ways parents can wrok and spend the most with their kids.

ceo

Post Tue, Jan 16 2007, 3:33 pm
it sounds like it could potentially see a good set-up. How is the job market in your area- do you think you'd both easily find such arrangements?

If your intentions are in ruchnius (so your husband can learn more), which it sounds like they are, then definetly investigate it more!

What type of babysitting do you have available in your city? that's the tricky part.

Meema2Kids

Post Thu, Jan 18 2007, 3:41 pm
Ever since my first was born I've been paid by the hour - as long as I worked an average of 30 hours a week I got benefits. So that is not a problem, and my employer would love it if I went back to working more hours.

For me to also work 30 hours, I would get vacation and sick leave. So that might work for school vacations. 30 hours is sort of an arbitrary number, it's just that it would make it more total hours than now and if I'm going to work more hours I may as well get it up to the hours that I would get benefits.

I'm not sure what the babysitting situation is, it would be after we move this summer. Confused

For now we've tabled this option (although I'd love to hear more comments if anyone has any Smile ). The option we're pursuing now is for DH to telecommute one day (8 hrs) a week. This would be the day that I would go into the office, so we wouldn't have to hire someone for childcare. I would do the rest of my hours in the evenings or other suitable times. (He would work some that day while the kids were napping and make up the rest of the time during evenings.) He is transferring to a new office, same company, when we move, so hopefully this will be a good time to make the transition.

This may not help so much with having time for other things, but it would help my career I think and put us on a path where we could have more flexibility in the future.

happymom

Post Thu, Jan 18 2007, 3:43 pm
if u wouldnt be able to be with ure kids as much as u are now, and wouldnt be able to be flexible id think it would be wise for u to keep it the way it is...... although if u would be able to be with ure kids as much as u are now, and take care of the household as much as now, then why not?

withhumor

Post Thu, Jan 18 2007, 4:10 pm
It is my dream, my life long dream. Both dh and I have very flexible professions yet he chooses to go to an office for a paycheck because of the fear of ‘when will the next dime come’.

I wish for the day that we can work independently on our own schedules to juggle the demand of our growing household. I have this feeling that by the time this will happen, the kids will be grown up and we won’t need this arrangement anymore!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics