Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
NEWSFLASH - Potatoes are Carbohydrates.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 17 2012, 9:38 am
Just a small health-conscious vent here. Call me crazy, controlling, or whatever, but it really bothers me!

My friend called me up recently and we were discussing what's for dinner.

She told me she was having chicken and rice. She's newlymarried and health conscious - we often discuss making things healthy. She said 'Oh and for veg, we're having left over boiled potatoes from yesterday.'

I had explained to her how potatoes aren't really veg a week or so ago. I guess she didn't wanna listen....

Potatoes are carbohydrates, and very starchy ones. Yet people still make them as the main vegetable with a meal.

Yawn.

I know I can't change anyone, , I just can't stand people going around thinking they're serving healthy food because they have potatoes in the meal. What a waste of effort and calories!

Anon. because I don't want my friends I was discussing this with to know my username!

saw50st8

Post Wed, Oct 17 2012, 9:41 am
Do people think potatoes are a real vegetable? That's news to me - its always the starch at the meal. Even with the skin.

Happy18

Post Wed, Oct 17 2012, 9:43 am
This had me Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter. I have had this conversation with so many of my friends, they just dont get it.

spring13

Post Wed, Oct 17 2012, 9:45 am
Let's be clear. Potatoes, if not peeled and deep-fried, are healthy: don't give them a bad rap on that account. But no, they don't fill the place of a vegetable in a meal.

sarachana

Post Wed, Oct 17 2012, 10:02 am
really? potatoes fried are never healthy skins on or off...but they are a vegetable and they are VERY healthy...I give my kids potatoes often...but they are different in nutrients then green veggies etc...so eat those too!

grace413

Post Wed, Oct 17 2012, 10:08 am
Potatoes, corn and peas are "starchy vegetables"."Botanically vegetables but not equivalent nutritionally to spinach, tomatos, cucumbers, lettuce, squash etc.

nyer1

Post Wed, Oct 17 2012, 10:14 am
It's so frustrating.
Also, I don't think a heavy mayo salad with iceberg lettuce really counts as salad...but I have Been to a crazy amount of shabbos meals where this was the only salad or veggie option ;(

Chocoholic

Post Wed, Oct 17 2012, 12:54 pm
Potatoes are healthy.

IF they aren't served with grease or deep fried in grease.

Raisin

Post Wed, Oct 17 2012, 1:04 pm
irish peasants who lived basically on potatoes were the healthiest peasants in europe. (until the famine...) potatoes stopped them getting scurvy and other diseases.

But they are much higher in carbs and therefore calories then lettuce, peppers, etc. So are vegetables such as corn and beans btw.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Oct 17 2012, 1:12 pm
Just because it's a veggie, a fruit or a salad doesn't mean it's low cal, or anything!
Indeed potatoes are vegetables (what else?)but some vegetables are carbs.

MimiMommy

Post Wed, Oct 17 2012, 1:16 pm
Potatoes AND rice at the same meal?? Carb overload!

sequoia

Post Wed, Oct 17 2012, 1:17 pm
My mother eats bread with pasta, rice, or potatoes LOL

She's really fit, though. I guess Russian people are genetically programmed to respond well to carbs.

de_goldy

Post Wed, Oct 17 2012, 1:38 pm
sequoia wrote:

She's really fit, though. I guess Russian people are genetically programmed to respond well to carbs.

I think I need to be genetically modified to Russian.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 17 2012, 1:55 pm
OP here.

I wasn't saying potatoes are unhealthy.

I was saying that they cannot be used as a replacement for veggies in a meal!

I'm sure everyone would agree with that, right?

Also, curious here...

Where do you think potatoes fall health-wise compared to wholewheat grain products and white (refined) grain products?

Isramom8

Post Thu, Oct 18 2012, 2:39 am
Great, here's my new excuse, I'm Russian/Polish-descended. Of course it's been a few generations, but that doesn't matter to my genes, right?

Anyone for sufganiyot? Smile

Ribbie Danzinger

Post Thu, Oct 18 2012, 8:50 am
de_goldy wrote:
sequoia wrote:

Someone who was brought up in India once told me that they used to cut a loaf of bread in half, take out the soft part, stuff it with sugar and eat it like so...!!! shock

de_goldy

Post Thu, Oct 18 2012, 10:02 am
Ribbie Danzinger wrote:
de_goldy wrote:
sequoia wrote:

Someone who was brought up in India once told me that they used to cut a loaf of bread in half, take out the soft part, stuff it with sugar and eat it like so...!!! shock

OMG - That's criminal! The white soft part is the best part!

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Oct 18 2012, 11:19 am
Why do pizza shops offer garlic knots or fries with pizza then ?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking