Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Products on Pesach
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

stem

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 6:06 pm
Thanks for clarifying.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 6:25 pm
pesachdige cake, close to the real thing?? It tastes like wet paper towels.

We dont buy much pesach food either besides for ladyfingers and chocolates.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 6:34 pm
Motek wrote:
I grew up in a home with a much more liberal attitude towards purchased Pesach products (and we ate gebrokts too).

My husband, on the other hand, eats no purchased kosher l'Pesach processed products except for:

matza
oil
wine/grape juice

uh, kinda limits the cooking possibilities (though I eat many more processed products myself) unless I feel like making my own potato starch, my own tomato sauce, my own boiled sugar, and forget about cocoa and dairy products

also, only fruits and vegetables that can be peeled and exclude garlic because many have the tradition not to eat it (even though it can be peeled) and no gebrokts

I was wondering - those who are very extreme about limiting purchased products, what do you drink on Pesach?

my husband drinks either orange/grapefruit juice we squeezed ourselves or wine/grape juice

Our family follows the same minhagim yours does. (We do use potato starch and sugar). So we manage to make some really delicious meals out of the very basics!

My mother makes beet salad out of beets and onions. She makes liver blintzes, side dishes of either apples, nuts and carrots with orange juice on it, or grated carrots and kohlrabi which tastes like cabbage. She even makes fried chicken cutlets using ground nuts, potato starch and eggs. Or we have goulash from shoulder steak. The possibilites are quite big. She makes custard ices from orange, grapefruit and lemon juices, and ice cream with eggs and potato starch and nuts. There's lots of good food to make using almost nothing.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 6:47 pm
cindy324 wrote:
What about dairy products? What do you feed the kids? Do you all live on chicken and potatoes and eggs the whole pesach? No yogurt, leben cottage cheese, no nosh for the kids, nothing???

I know I sound like a spoiled brat, but I just can't imagine. My kids would literally starve .

Children under bar mitzvah are treated differently in my velt - they do have a wider variety of foods. Not pesach pizza and other crazy things, but they do get the occasional chocolate leaf cookie or seven layer cake and definitely eat all dairy products. Women also have milk, cheese, etc, but the men limit themselve to just milk.

As for fish,w e eat carp.

ektsm

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 6:53 pm
wow

chanab

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 9:22 pm
Quote:
So the reason you don't eat any proccessed food, and dairy, is to make pesach simple, unlike the rest of the year when we could eat anything?

Interesting. I always thought pesach was about not eating chametz.

oy, Nooooo....Stem there are many explanations why we are more careful during pesach than the rest of the year, one being that chometz is not botul and chassidim (and maybe others I don´t know) are careful of even a "cheshash chometz" and won´t therefore wet the matza etc. There is a spiritual component too as we learn that everything physical represents something spiritual.Chometz represents gaava ---a trait we "run" from as much as possible and the avoda of matza is bitul and anava [interestingly enough on acharon shel pesach we do wet the matza bc we have "elevated" the 7 midos of the person (sefiras haomer)and don´t have to "run" so much from the bad , we can infact transform it to good]

OK, this is REAL brief, maybe the likes of Sarayehudis can explain more bc I have to gat back to pesach preps, BUT for the record, we make our own matza(from grinding the wheat, yes) and wine, do not use sugar or oil or starch(unless I make it) peel all vegs etc check the salt and we wash our dishes with lemon and salt (only motsei pesach with detergent)(and I probably just outed myself to those who know me)
My kids LOVE it, can´t wait for pesach and it is my most special chag. There is such a special aura about it that lacks the whole year. Chinuch-wise it really instills a yiraas shamoyim in the kids I find.

The arizal says (and this is brought down in the poskim on Shulchan Aruch) "Hanizhar mimasheu chometz bepesach muvtach lo shelo yechta kol hashana"(mimashehu being the keyword bc chometz is not botul)

sorry for being in such a rush.........

gryp

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 10:02 am
Quote:
we wash our dishes with lemon and salt

before anyone jumps in and says "GROSS!!!"- we also dont use dishsoap and our dishes are sparkling from boiling water (not from the tap- boiled up) and lemons.
no toothpaste either- we use lemons. try it. Wink

cindy324

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 10:30 am
Quote:
I have a totally different perspective. Pesach is one of the shalosh regalim, a yom tov! We have a mitzva to eat and drink good food, and make our meals as festive as possible. IMO baking cakes in honor of Yom Tov (especially for people that have to practically grow the potatoes for the potato starch) should be commended and not looked down upon.

I don't think anybody was looking down on those of us that bake pesach cakes and use processed foods, they were just expplaining their reasons for it.

If anything , I'm sorry to say Stem, that it seems you're the one who's looking down on these people for being extra stringent on Pesach. I happen to think it's very commendable, my MIL told me how back when she was a child in Europe, they had to make their own potato starch and everything. Even I , who grew up until my early teens in Europe, had very limited items on Pesach and I survived, however I will not deny it, I've become very spoiled and can never go back to those simple days.

I agree that kosher l'pesach pizza is simply ridiculous and wouldn't touch it, but I 've become accostumed to cooking with all kinds of ingredients and just wouldn't enjoy Pesach nearly as much if I can only use basic ingredients.

stem

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 12:04 pm
cindy324 wrote:

If anything , I'm sorry to say Stem, that it seems you're the one who's looking down on these people for being extra stringent on Pesach.

I thought my questions were asked very respectfully. I just wanted to know why people do certain things. I specifically didn't say anything derogetory. Can you quote one thing I said that was looking down on anyone?
Shayna82 was saying that cakes should not be eaten on Pesach because... it's pesach. So I simply responded that cakes should not be knocked. They are delicious (if you need a good recipe pm me) and perfectly pesachdik.

Motek

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 1:46 pm
chanab wrote:
My kids LOVE it, can´t wait for pesach and it is my most special chag.

that your kids LOVE it, is because it is YOUR most special chag, and your children are blessed in this!

shayna82 wrote:
another point: pesach is the time to eat simply.

there shouldnt be any cake on pesach

I haven't heard that there is any special inyan of eating simply and not having cake on Pesach. The inyan is, as chanab and maybe others wrote - to avoid chometz and to go to extremes in doing so that you don't do year round because chometz is forbidden in the minutest amount (while year round, there's the halacha of something being nullified in sixty etc.)

cindy324 wrote:
My in-laws make fried chicken skin

gribenes is what it's called Smile

stem wrote:
So the reason you don't eat any proccessed food, and dairy, is to make pesach simple, unlike the rest of the year when we could eat anything?

Interesting. I always thought pesach was about not eating chametz.

I'm glad that other posters clarified this to agree with you that the point is not to eat chometz.

Crayon210 wrote:
Because it's unfair to ask people to change their minhagim because of someone else's hergesh.

I didn't see that anybody asked anyone to change their minhagim!

sarahd wrote:
Pesach cake close to the real thing? I don't know which cake you've been eating, but please give me the recipe.

sure! cakes made with matzo meal taste like the real thing

I have a brownie recipe someone gave me years ago that I made year round because I liked it.

Crayon210

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 2:08 pm
Regarding asking people to change minhagim: I didn't bother to clarify since I didn't think anyone was reading that closely (and no one called me on it until now, grr).

No one asked anyone to change minhagim, obviously, but I meant in theory--there's no reason for someone to consider changing minhagim because of someone's hergesh on the issue.

Clear now?

ektsm

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 2:09 pm
OH please lets not get crazy here!

cindy324

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 3:01 pm
Quote:

Interesting. I always thought pesach was about not eating chametz

Quote:
I specifically didn't say anything derogetory. Can you quote one thing I said that was looking down on anyone?

I'm sorry if you meant it respectfully, I apologize. Maybe I was interpreting it with the wrong tone of voice.

shayna82

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 3:34 pm
motek, I was just simply stating how I see things. if I offended anyone, im sorry.

Mommy3.5

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 10:04 pm
It's threads like these which make me so happy to be married to a sefardi!

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 10:07 pm
Motek wrote:
sure! cakes made with matzo meal taste like the real thing

Motek, wouldn't that be gebrokts? Confused

shayna82

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 10:12 pm
what if it is gebrokchts, what is wrong with that?

stem

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 10:27 pm
cindy324 wrote:
Quote:

Interesting. I always thought pesach was about not eating chametz

Quote:
I specifically didn't say anything derogetory. Can you quote one thing I said that was looking down on anyone?

I'm sorry if you meant it respectfully, I apologize. Maybe I was interpreting it with the wrong tone of voice.

I was seriously surprised that there may be issues to consider with pesach food besides not eating chametz. Apology accepted... friends?

Crayon210

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 11:37 pm
shayna82 wrote:
what if it is gebrokchts, what is wrong with that?

I would assume Motek doesn't eat gebrokts on Pesach, since she's a Lubavitcher...

shayna82

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 11:45 pm
well maybe not ever lubavitcher keeps thing that most lubavitchers do... just a thought!
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics