Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Learning Alef-Bais

gazingblue

Post Sun, Oct 21 2012, 8:26 pm
My son just started kindergarten and is learning alef bais and the English alphabet simultaneously. His Hebrew Morah is teaching the sounds of the alef bais based on English words, I.e. bais as in bubbles, bake, etc. This is confusing him. When I ask him which letter "cat" starts with, he tries to figure out which Hebrew alphabet it is. This is an established teacher in an established school so I don't know if there is any way for me to correct her. Anyone else had this experience? Any advice for how to help my son not be confused?

Chippies

Post Mon, Nov 05 2012, 10:31 am
I just read this post and since my son (who is almost 4 years of age) is also learning the alef-bais and ABCs simultaneously, I figure I'd give my two cents. Does the morah only give English words that start with the alef-bais? Because my son's morah uses hebrew words and English words. The reason she uses English words as well is that the kids just don't know so many hebrew words at this point, so she thinks that it's best to use some English words to reinforce the concept (and I totally agree). That said, they do know some hebrew words, so that should be stressed. For example, when my son learned the letter bais, the focus was on the word "bayis" and how that starts with bais, but then they discussed English "B" words as well. For Vais, since there are no hebrew words that begin with a vais, they only discussed English "V" words. It's definitely a little confusing, but I think as time goes on, it'll become clearer for the kids. Also, as a parent, you can stress the hebrew words more for the hebrew alphabet. And when you ask your son what letter "cat" starts with, I think it should be worded like this, "What letter in the English alphabet does 'cat' start with?" That way, he'll know right away which alphabet to think about. I personally believe that they should teach Hebrew and English in different years, but I can't change the system, so I guess I'll just have to go with it!

gazingblue

Post Mon, Nov 05 2012, 9:21 pm
Thanks so much for your response and for your suggestions. I would have thought that since "bayis" is such a common word, it would have been used. But instead they "baked brownies." I am hopeful that as time goes on it will be less confusing. And by the way, I heard that many schools are now teaching alef bais and English alphabet in sep years, which I think is very logical.

greenfire

Post Mon, Nov 05 2012, 9:52 pm
why can't they do ב is for בית which means house ... I too would find it confusing
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers