Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Cleaning up from Shabbos -- Kitchen and DR
1  2  Next

How long to clean up Kitchen and DR from Shabbos?
an hour  
 55%  [ 24 ]
two hours or more  
 16%  [ 7 ]
I'm not finished till Sunday morning  
 27%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 43

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Jan 16 2007, 1:00 am
How long does it take you? Do you get busy right after Havdalah? Do you want to relax a bit before you tackle it all? Do you serve Melave Malka before you've cleaned up? Or do you clean up first? And how long does it take?

Esther01

Post Tue, Jan 16 2007, 1:09 am
depending on what type of shabbos we had, only us or with quest. if it's a typical shabbos with just the family then it doesn't take more than an hour, but if we have guest then 2 things change

a. they might not leave right away and then I serve melava malka before cleaning up the kitchen, dining room needs to be clean to be able to serve. then the clean up is longer too.

b. if they do leave right away, the dishes are piled much higher in the sink and the mess might be greater, so it'll take longer to clean up.

and sometimes we might have a quiet shabbos but be invited out for melava malka and then come home so late, too tired to clean and everything ends up waiting for sunday (oh I hate those times)

Marion

Post Tue, Jan 16 2007, 2:37 am
It depends. First of all, how many people were we? No dishwasher, so I can only do one drainer's worth of dishes at a time (no patience to dry things). I often don't get the pots done until Monday. Also, how many dishes (milchig/fleishig/pareve) were used for preparation? And how many were still in the sink when Shabbat started?

shininglight

Post Tue, Jan 16 2007, 3:42 am
Usually takes me an hour and half to two hours and then I don't put everything away til Sunday ... so I guess that about covers all the poll options! Smile

mumof1

Post Tue, Jan 16 2007, 5:32 am
it takes me around 2 hours, I have to wash my china and silver flatware by hand. I put the tablecloths in dry cleaning bags, swiffer the kitchen, dr, and hall.
dh is out at a shiur motzei shabbos so its all on me.
then I order in from a dairy cafe melava malka for me an dh.
more dishes... Very Happy

ny21

Post Tue, Jan 16 2007, 10:15 am
this was a good poll !

MOM222

Post Tue, Jan 16 2007, 10:40 am
I can't stand leaving things for sunday. I love starting the week fresh and clean.

I clean up as quickly as possible. In the winter months. I clean up the dishes as soon as I can, while my kids eat. Then after bed time I finish the floors, counters... Then I sit down to eat.

bandcm

Post Tue, Jan 16 2007, 10:43 am
Hate to say this, but by the time Shabbos is out, my kitchen and dining room are spotless.
That´s what comes of having maids (no we are not well-off but we live in Brazil where we pay them $150 a month for 6 days a week 12 hours a day.)

mimsy7420

Post Tue, Jan 16 2007, 10:45 am
I have been known to leave the cholent pot soaking until tuesday. embarrassed

NumberOneMommy

Post Tue, Jan 16 2007, 10:54 am
I live in an apartment building and the kitchen is tiny so it doesn't take that long to clean up. But my dishes sit in my drain board till sunday or monday at least.

aussiegal

Post Tue, Jan 16 2007, 10:57 am
[quote="Marionso I can only do one drainer's worth of dishes at a time (no patience to dry things). quote]

I bought a second drainer, and I put the pots on teatowels to dry. I HATE going to sleep motzai shabbos if the dishes havent all been washed. But sometimes I leave the cholent pot soaking till sunday/monday also. I always hope that by the time I got to sleep on motzai shabbos the only evidence left is:
1. dishes drying (with exception of dirty melave malka dishes in sink)
2. the tablecloth hung out to dry. (yup - I'm really organised, I ALWAYS wash the tablecloth teh second shabbos is out)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shopaholic

Post Tue, Jan 16 2007, 11:22 am
As soon as Shabbos is over I start doing the dishes & usually have them done by the time DH gets home from Shul. After havdalah, I clean the living room/dining room. About an hour after Shabbos, the house is pretty clean. I leave the dishes to dry overninght & put them away Sunday morning

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jan 16 2007, 12:11 pm
One of DD's friends has to go home right after havdaleh to "help" clean up. I don't know what that is............

By us, everything goes into the dishwasher besides the silver, which we handwash, dry and put away.

What else is there to do? The laundry has been folded and put away already, the floor and bathrooms have been washed lekovod Shabbos . . . .

So I'm not sure exactly what needs to be done?

frummom

Post Tue, Jan 16 2007, 12:13 pm
Quote:

I think you forgot what it's like to have little kids! LOL

Mitzvahmom

Post Tue, Jan 16 2007, 12:30 pm
Depends on the kids... If they are behaving, so then I clean as much as I can. But some shabbosim I am sooo exhausted! I collapse

happymom

Post Tue, Jan 16 2007, 12:37 pm
My husband gives my daughter a bath, supper and puts her to sleep while I wash the dishes, do the laundry, sweep and mop the floors, and vacuum the carpet. THen we dry and put away the dishes together. It takes like an hour or an hour and a half.

Quote:
What else is there to do? The laundry has been folded and put away already, the floor and bathrooms have been washed lekovod Shabbos . . . .

I sometimes have laundry from shabbos like my daughters shabbos clothes, the table cloth, the towel that was covering the soup etc....

I also like to mop the floors again after shabbos since everything just feels so dirty to me after shabbos

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jan 16 2007, 1:12 pm
Why do little kids make anything different? We used to clean up the toys as we go.

Raisin

Post Tue, Jan 16 2007, 1:14 pm
frummom wrote:
Quote:

I think you forgot what it's like to have little kids! LOL

Or a lot of guests! I have both (b'h) so I'm never done..... embarrassed

CM, remember, little kids+shabbos afternoon=big mess

mimsy7420

Post Tue, Jan 16 2007, 1:24 pm
A dishwasher does make it go faster, but certain things can't go in the dishwasher and need to be washed by hand. Such as the cholent pot, silver, glass salad bowls. Those take time to wash. Plus any milchig dishes that have piled up over shabbos. Sometimes the kitchen floor needs a desperate wash and sweep, even if it was done on friday.

It doesn't take me as long as before I had a dishwasher (g-d bless it- may it have a long healthy life Smile ) where it would take me 1-2 hours to wash all the dishes. But it still takes time.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jan 16 2007, 1:36 pm
I shove everything in the dishwasher, except real silver. Oh, and we wash the table with a spongue.

But that's it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen