Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Can you really drink 8 cups of water a day?
1  2  Next

yo'ma

Post Sun, Nov 04 2012, 1:24 pm
It's hot now and the most I'm able to so far is 6 cups. I can't drink more because I just can't and I don't stop having to go to the bathroom with just 2 cups. How do you do it, or do you Wink ?

leah66

Post Sun, Nov 04 2012, 1:27 pm
If is possible if you know that you will be close to a bathroom all day because you will be going all day. I don't think you really need more than 5 cups a day, especially if you're eating things like fruit and soup.

greenfire

Post Sun, Nov 04 2012, 1:32 pm
always wondered about that ... I too would skip to my loo ... plus I can't quite get that much down

Marion

Post Sun, Nov 04 2012, 1:44 pm
I drank 12 today. (But I'm nursing.) It's a learned skill. I used to not get past one.

DrMom

Post Sun, Nov 04 2012, 1:59 pm
Easily. Not all at one sitting, of course.

Tablepoetry

Post Sun, Nov 04 2012, 2:19 pm
Same. Easy. I'm quite sure I go beyond 8 even in the winter.
But it's a learned skill...I didn't used to. Switching to mineral water helped a lot.

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Nov 04 2012, 2:52 pm
Your body gets used to drinking more and after a few weeks you won't need to go to the bathroom as much.

I've been taught to take my weight in pounds, divide by 2 and drink that amount of water in ounces.

That means, if for example, you weigh 150 lb., you need to drink 75 oz. of water. that is just over 9.5 cups.

de_goldy

Post Sun, Nov 04 2012, 4:14 pm
I drink well over 8 cups a day, easily. I'm always thirsty, and if I don't drink enough I get fuzzy-headed, headaches, etc.

imamiri

Post Sun, Nov 04 2012, 4:19 pm
I drink more than 8. What will help you get more water is when you think you are hungry, try some water first. If you are still hungry afterward, you are really hungry. If not, you were just dehydrated.

I carry water with me everywhere and sip it and pretty much do not drink anything else. If it's the flavor that you cannot deal with, try lemon juice in you water or some sprigs of mint.

starry

Post Sun, Nov 04 2012, 4:38 pm
I just carry a water bottle or two with me.

Lady Bug

Post Sun, Nov 04 2012, 4:43 pm
Marion wrote:
I drank 12 today. (But I'm nursing.) It's a learned skill. I used to not get past one.

This. I always carry water bottles and can only drink it room temperature. If it's cold I dont get past 1/2 cup. While learning to drink more, I downed a lot of lemon/vitamin/mineral water.

mandksima

Post Sun, Nov 04 2012, 4:47 pm
I make myself sip from a bottle a lot. It is hard for me to drink so much as I already eat a lot of high water content foods. Fruit, salad veggies, vegetable juices, summer and winter soups all are water rich so you might not need as much. I do usually make myself drink 2 cups before breakfast but I somehow forgot about that, I have to get back into that. I count a cup of decaf tea as one of my morning cups if water just seems so unappetizing.

Happy18

Post Sun, Nov 04 2012, 4:50 pm
I drink more than that over the course of a day, I feel dizzy and tired if I don't. The only downside is that I have to use the bathroom all day Very Happy

BusyBeeMommy

Post Sun, Nov 04 2012, 5:19 pm
Like others said, it's a learned skill. Do you know that when you are thirsty, it's already too late and your body is already going into dehydration mode? After you learn to do it, you can read your body's natural signals for thirst.

I find that what helped me most in the beginning was being religious about drinking 2 entire cups in the morning. It's easy because your stomach is empty, plus you haven't had any liquid intake the entire night so your body is really needing it. Nowadays when I wake up, I feel parched! I can't go without drinking those 2 cups. This give you a head start for your day and you only have 6 cups left to drink! BTW, many people need more than 8 cups, more like 9.

bluebird

Post Sun, Nov 04 2012, 6:57 pm
Don't bother trying to drink that much water; you don't need to. The 8 cups of water per day thing is a myth. Drink as much as your body needs to feel comfortable.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/.....s.asp

5S5Sr7z3

Post Sun, Nov 04 2012, 7:57 pm
I drink closer to 10 cups per day, if not more. You really should be drinking as much water as you feel you need to stay hydrated.

bigprincess

Post Sun, Nov 04 2012, 8:06 pm
You can get water from other sources such as fruits. If you drink too much it can actually be bad for you because it washes everything out.

octopus

Post Sun, Nov 04 2012, 8:16 pm
BusyBeeMommy wrote:
Like others said, it's a learned skill. Do you know that when you are thirsty, it's already too late and your body is already going into dehydration mode? After you learn to do it, you can read your body's natural signals for thirst.

I find that what helped me most in the beginning was being religious about drinking 2 entire cups in the morning. It's easy because your stomach is empty, plus you haven't had any liquid intake the entire night so your body is really needing it. Nowadays when I wake up, I feel parched! I can't go without drinking those 2 cups. This give you a head start for your day and you only have 6 cups left to drink! BTW, many people need more than 8 cups, more like 9.

I also start my day off with two cups of water in the morning! before anything else! I also have no problem drinking 8 glasses of water. I probably drink even more. but I'm nursing, so I don't know if that puts me in a different category.

SS6099

Post Mon, Nov 05 2012, 10:04 am
I know this is not the best option, but adding Crystal Light to my water helps me meet my 8 cup quota. I feel so much better when I drink 8 cups.

moonstone

Post Mon, Nov 05 2012, 11:55 am
bluebird wrote:
Don't bother trying to drink that much water; you don't need to. The 8 cups of water per day thing is a myth. Drink as much as your body needs to feel comfortable.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/.....s.asp

Yes, I've read lately (somewhere online, can't remember where exactly) that you don't really need 8 cups a day. Drink whatever you can.

If you want to drink more, something that always makes me thirsty is chewing gum.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise