Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
How to wrap shaloch Manot?

supermom

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 8:21 am
How do you wrap without a basket? What is your base that the grape juice or something heavy doesn't rip through?

shalhevet

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 8:28 am
If you use coloured cellophane, stand everything on it, and tie it on top with a ribbon, it is strong enough. When I pick it up, I support it from underneath. Usually when I go to give out MM I put a few in a cardboard carton. This is a big money saver!

If I want to give home prepared foods - little cakes, cookies etc I prepare them on a disposable coloured plate and wrap the same way. I usually buy two sizes of plates - one for children and one for families.

supermom - you always blow me away how organized you are. Shaking Some of us are still cleaning our chanukiyot. Tongue Out

Marion

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 8:56 am
The only people who get a big bottle of anything is the ILs...cellophane is certainly strong enough (even the Israeli stuff) for the small bottles. Sometimes I just use gift bags; depends how late I left it. (Last year I was 2 weeks PP...I used little cellophane treat bags I had from chu"l.)

mummy-bh

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 9:07 am
Shalhevet - maybe we should start a new thread with a poll entitled "when do you wrap your mishloach manos?"
It would be interesting to see how many of us leave it to the last minute (I.e. after coming home from megilla) embarrassed

amother

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 9:16 am
shalhevet wrote:
Some of us are still cleaning our chanukiyot. Tongue Out

And some of us haven't started yet embarrassed

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 10:10 am
if you use only packaged nosh, you can prepare them whenever you want. assuming you have some plae to store them.

greenfire

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 10:17 am
I used to love baking tons and buying tons of nosh - but, then life got hectic w/small kids etc. I started making my sm simple and realized that I enjoy this better. Nothing goes to waste and I give 2 things: homemade hamantash & wine or grape juice - simple and direct. I tie the hamantash in a baggie w/ribbon to the grape juice or wine.

greenfire

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 10:18 am
I used to love baking tons and buying tons of nosh - but, then life got hectic w/small kids etc. I started making my sm simple and realized that I enjoy this better. Nothing goes to waste and I give 2 things: homemade hamantash & wine or grape juice - simple and direct. I tie the hamantash in a baggie w/ribbon to the grape juice or wine.

And then I drink a little Drunken Smile and I'm perfectly happy

happyone

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 10:21 am
I'm so glad you're up to Purim. I'm barely thinking about Thursday.....

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 10:24 am
maybe those fancy gift bags people use instead of wrapping paper... they usually have a re-inforced bottom.

greenfire

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 12:03 pm
happyone wrote:
I'm so glad you're up to Purim. I'm barely thinking about Thursday.....

Don't worry - I'm still on wednesday yet I think it's monday so you're good

supermom

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 12:18 pm
I thought I would get responses like that already up to purim. LOL

I just like to buy in advance so this way I don't have to lay out the money in one shot. And being organized in my head helps out with all the panicking when the time comes.

How do you get everything neatly in one 'package'? I want to put a cake, plaster painted face, wine or a drink, and maybe something else??? What do I do? I can't stick it to the bottle because each bottle is getting a bottle covering on it.

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 12:20 pm
does anyone else think this whole shaloch manos thing has gotten a bit out of hand?

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 2:05 pm
iT'S GOTTEN way OUT OF HAND. Aren't yousupposed to be marbin in matznosh levyonim rather than mishlochmanos?

mumof1

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 2:14 pm
I love purim, I love the kids in costumes, the cheer and all.
just not up to it yet Very Happy
ds has a costume I bought halloween time at childrens place.
but besides for that I did not think about it. anyone have any cute ideas?

faigie

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 2:45 pm
I used to buy mine every year, and it was such unusable garbage. I was gonna make choc boxes but moose said that whos gonna eat it? shes right.
so I think im gonna bake small cakes for each person and put in a nice drink beside it. the only drawback is, that its last minute. Sad which I detest!

supermom

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 5:44 pm
Hmm doesn't seem out of hand to me. Confused Each shalach manot is running me what three dollars each. The plaster cost me two dollars for ten. I am giving twenty shalach manot sixty dollars minus the wrapping. This amount is including teachers.

JMto2

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 5:58 pm
I love purim and I do all the shtick themed mishlaoach manos and all it has gotten out of hand I do agree.
I would say you can either do 2 things to support a bottom
1. buy the gold round cardboards they are cheap .29 each as a supportive bottom
2. buy styrophom and lay it out on that.

yoyosma

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 6:38 pm
I put things on a plate, put the cellophane underneath and just wrap up, tie with ribbon and voila!!!
Last year I gave breakfast: bagels, those tiny jelly jars that spring up everywhere that time of year, small orange juice, a triangle soft cheese that I took out from a package that included a lot more, I think there was one more thing but I forgot.
I put it on a plastic plate, included a plastic knife and napkins, wrapped with cellophane and done!! I hate having little peices of tiny chocolate hanging around, I would rather give something that is eaten now and everyone told me that they ate theirs!
The year before I gave small pumpkin cakes and a drink. I give homemade to family and to the teachers I give something bought in case they dont want to eat from my house, everyone has different Chumros. I also dont give to a lot of people, we still dont know that many!

supermom

Post Thu, Jan 18 2007, 12:47 am
supermom wrote:
Hmm doesn't seem out of hand to me. Confused Each shalach manot is running me what three dollars each. The plaster cost me two dollars for ten. I am giving twenty shalach manot sixty dollars minus the wrapping. This amount is including teachers.

I just realized last night that it will run me much less, since I am not going to be giving everyone two brachos only to four people the rest will be getting one thing.

So in this case I would be spending much less then sixty dollars on everything.

Thanks I will do the gold 'cardboard' on the bottom of the bigger shalach manot.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics