Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Aliyah as "damaged goods" single w/ mental health

amother

Post Mon, Nov 05 2012, 9:48 pm
Please read this and really think about it before telling me that I should of course come to EY. Based on the reasons below, I think it would be a disaster for me, but I find myself drawn to it anyway. What do you think?

- I am 37.

- I am divorced.

- I converted 6 years ago.

- I have bipolar disorder. I am OK about 75% of the time, but a few years I crash hard and am barely able to function for weeks or months while I go to therapy and have my meds adjusted. I am going through such a phase now. I am extremely anxious, break down in tears several times a day because of how worthless and useless I feel, and am pretty much a wreck.

- I have no children. Due to my advanced age and PCOS, it's very unlikely that I will be able to have children. Due to the bipolar disorder, I have decided that having children is a very bad idea for me.

- I do not learn new languages easily.

- I do not adjust to change easily.

- I have a job in America in IT that pays very well. Due to the language barrier I don't know how well I'd transition to such a job in EY.

Fabulous

Post Mon, Nov 05 2012, 9:53 pm
besides for it being the holy land, any reason you want to move there? Family? Friends? area? Do you have a support system where you are now? friends? family?

Why not just go on an extended vacation when you are feeling better?

I don't know you, but if you were my friend I would say it doesn't sound like such a good idea.

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Nov 05 2012, 9:55 pm
yes, what is your reason for wanting to go? I'd say wait until you're past this depression before making a permanent decision.

greenfire

Post Mon, Nov 05 2012, 10:00 pm
not everybody needs to 'of course' go to israel ... you say nothing as to why you think it a good idea - but backup many reasons why you should stay put

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Mon, Nov 05 2012, 10:01 pm
I think you should take a vacation/trip to Israel, but not move there!

amother

Post Mon, Nov 05 2012, 10:03 pm
OP here.

I do believe that it's a mitzvah and EY is home. As much as I fear change, I still love the idea of starting over somewhere else, being free from the person I currently am and being able to reinvent myself. I want to live somewhere where the people are my people and the holidays are my holidays.

I have no family or friends in EY.

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Nov 05 2012, 10:08 pm
interesting idea, op. but here's the flaw: you can't reinvent yourself by changing countries. you're still going to be you. the people and holidays may suit you better, but a change of atmosphere will not be the cause of any personal changes to such a degree.

definitely go on vacation if you can. maybe take multiple trips there over the next few years and see if you can become attached to a neighborhood. if you can, then consider moving there.

Post Mon, Nov 05 2012, 10:12 pm
Hopefully you are working with a therapist. If not you need to so you can discuss this. It sounds like the manic phase of bipolar.

greenfire

Post Mon, Nov 05 2012, 10:29 pm
btw ~ please don't refer to yourself as 'damaged goods' ~ everybody has their good points to focus on and stuff to be tolerant of ... even if it's just for you

punchike

Post Mon, Nov 05 2012, 11:09 pm
Op,
You mention that the reason you want to move to Israel is because you want to reinvent yourself.
But, happiness, inner peace, and freedom isn't something you'll find by traveling many miles. It's something that's found within.

Moving to another country without being fluent in the language, and giving up your current well paying job isn't advisable in my opinion. There are so many truly good things you can do for yourself and for others by remaining where you are.
Is there a cause or a person you can help in some way? Do you have a new hobby or skill you'd like to develop? Is there a subject you'd be interested in studying? Which of your talents can you develop further?
These can be extremely rewarding to you, without risking creating havoc and upheaval in your life. I wish you success.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Nov 06 2012, 12:44 am
amother wrote:
OP here.

I do believe that it's a mitzvah and EY is home. As much as I fear change, I still love the idea of starting over somewhere else, being free from the person I currently am and being able to reinvent myself. I want to live somewhere where the people are my people and the holidays are my holidays.

I have no family or friends in EY.

re reinventing yourself. wherever you go, there YOU are.

you can reinvent yourself where you are now. its my experience in working with people with bpd that THIS idea of moving, right now, is probably part of your cycle and that of course, you should not be making such a decision while you are trying to balance out.

if you read what you wrote when you are back to your usual self, you'll be looking at it, thinking 'how did I ever think it was a good idea to do that?'

its no different than wanting to go off meds, or any of the other behaviours that can totally derail a great and stable place with your bpd. some of the best people on the planet have bpd, but the ones who achieve the most and stay the most stable are the ones who stay the course, and don't make rash decisions about disrupting themselves from their support networks and their medical people and do these things (or not) with planning and a total concept of how to best make it work (or not do it at all.)

Keep putting one foot in front of the other. You'll get through this. When you reread this, you'll know it was part of the cycle, because if you ever decide to do it rationally, it will not look like this when you write it out.

chizuk to you. you can do this. just stay the course, stay on meds, keep your support network and use it.

Isramom8

Post Tue, Nov 06 2012, 2:39 am
If you come to my community where my husband is a rabbi, he will send you right back to your job and language and therapist.

medola

Post Wed, Jun 30 2021, 10:25 pm
OP did you end up making aliya?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions