Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
Read this terrific speech by Rabbi Lau!

Motek

Post Thu, Jan 18 2007, 11:07 am
http://www.oxfordchabad.org/te.....84600

JRKmommy

Post Thu, Jan 18 2007, 11:40 am
Awesome!

I had a Hebrew teacher last year who was very "Israeli", and most here would take one look at her and conclude that she was obviously not frum. However, she used excerpts from Rabbi Lau's book to teach Hebrew, and conveyed her tremendous admiration and respect for him. Truly a remarkable and wise man.

Motek

Post Thu, Jan 18 2007, 2:37 pm
someone pointed out to me that it wasn't R' Chaim Herzog but Yaakov Herzog, the other son of chief rabbi Yitzchok Isaac Herzog.

shalhevet

Post Thu, Jan 18 2007, 2:42 pm
Why R' Chaim Herzog?????

I have read Rav Lau's book in Hebrew, and although we do not hold by some of his hashkafa in day-to-day life, I can tell you that it was one of the most amazing books I have ever read and shows him to be a truly remarkable person. His father was an absolute tzaddik and the whole book is absolutely full of hashgacha pratis.

I understand that it is currently being translated and I recommend it when it comes out in English.

mumoo

Post Thu, Jan 18 2007, 2:47 pm
shalhevet wrote:
Why R' Chaim Herzog?????

I have read Rav Lau's book in Hebrew, and although we do not hold by some of his hashkafa in day-to-day life, I can tell you that it was one of the most amazing books I have ever read and shows him to be a truly remarkable person. His father was an absolute tzaddik and the whole book is absolutely full of hashgacha pratis.

I understand that it is currently being translated and I recommend it when it comes out in English.

On that recommendation I look forward to it. What is the name I'm looking for?

shalhevet

Post Thu, Jan 18 2007, 3:42 pm
Quote:
Hail to the Chief... Rabbi: Challenges in Translating the Memoir of Former Chief Rabbi Lau

Rabbi Israel Meir, former Chief Rabbi of Israel, describes the way his older brother saved him from almost certain death in the Buchenwald concentration camp. His memoir, published in Hebrew as "Al tishlah yadkha el hana'ar" (literally "Do Not Raise a Hand to the Lad") was on the Hebrew bestseller lists for many months. What are the special challenges involved in translating the story of a six-year-old orphaned Holocaust survivor who rose to become Chief Rabbi of Israel?

From the Israel Translators Association site www.ita.org.il
Maybe that means it is called Hail to the Chief in English? I don't know.

mumoo

Post Thu, Jan 18 2007, 8:03 pm
thanks, I'll keep an eye out for either title
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational