Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Does anyone have a challah recipe for my food restrictions?
1  2  Next

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Nov 19 2012, 10:26 am
I have started a 3 wk diet of:
No gluten
No soy
No dairy
No sugars (natural or fake)
No eggs
No corn
No peanuts

So is there a challah recipe I can use during this time???

studying_torah

Post Mon, Nov 19 2012, 12:06 pm
wow, no I dont but try to google vegan gluten free bread and maybe you'll find s/thing.
Good luck!

studying_torah

Post Mon, Nov 19 2012, 12:07 pm
forgot to say, check out glutenfreeonashoestring.com or glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com

Imma2+2

Post Mon, Nov 19 2012, 3:09 pm
I'm on a similar diet.
The best I managed was oat "matza" made from gluten-free oat flour, which would work if you can have oats.
It wasn't great, but I basically made a dough from oat flour, olive oil, salt and water.
First, I mixed a little olive oil into the flour and a pinch of salt, as if I was making pastry. Then I added water to make a workable dough. The oat absorbs the water slowly, so take your time.
Then, I made balls of dough and either rolled very thin between two pieces of parchment paper, or I just shaped into thicker disks (like a pita) with my hands.
I baked the thin "matza" shaped ones at around 400F until just starting to brown. The thicker ones I baked at around 375F. I baked till it started to brown, then turned and baked a few minutes longer on the other side to dry it out.

But - I'll admit that they didn't taste great, and I ate them to be able to make motzi on shabbos.

behatzlacha!

Barbara

Post Mon, Nov 19 2012, 3:24 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
I have started a 3 wk diet of:
No gluten
No soy
No dairy
No sugars (natural or fake)
No eggs
No corn
No peanuts

So is there a challah recipe I can use during this time???

All of the gluten free challah recipes I've seen require sugar. How else would the yeast work? Sorry.

Imma2+2

Post Mon, Nov 19 2012, 3:26 pm
Most also need eggs and xanthan gum (which seems to be a corn derivative).
I doubt you'll get something that looks like bread, which is why I suggested a flat bread type of thing, with no yeast.

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Nov 19 2012, 3:46 pm
Yeast does not need sugar to work. Any carb and warm water will activate it. It will even activate without a carb. Instant yeast in lukewarm water still works. You can make a yeast bread with no sugar but not without water.

Also the lack of gluten means that yeast is sort of pointless because you have no gluten to form strands to trap the gasses that typically make bubbles. Thinking you would do well with an oat based batter type of muffin recipe or something.

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Nov 19 2012, 9:33 pm
Imma2+2 wrote:
I'm on a similar diet.
The best I managed was oat "matza" made from gluten-free oat flour, which would work if you can have oats.
It wasn't great, but I basically made a dough from oat flour, olive oil, salt and water.
First, I mixed a little olive oil into the flour and a pinch of salt, as if I was making pastry. Then I added water to make a workable dough. The oat absorbs the water slowly, so take your time.
Then, I made balls of dough and either rolled very thin between two pieces of parchment paper, or I just shaped into thicker disks (like a pita) with my hands.
I baked the thin "matza" shaped ones at around 400F until just starting to brown. The thicker ones I baked at around 375F. I baked till it started to brown, then turned and baked a few minutes longer on the other side to dry it out.

But - I'll admit that they didn't taste great, and I ate them to be able to make motzi on shabbos.

behatzlacha!

Thank you! This will be perfect. I'm not looking for something gourmet. Just something to wash for on Shabbos.

Thanks for all the other responses too. I didn't realize that about the xanthan gum - very important to know as I did see it in some gluten-free snacks I saw at the health food store.

wispalover

Post Mon, Nov 19 2012, 9:38 pm
never made any of these but google yielded:

http://gentleworld.org/seven-d.....eads/

http://kruleinthekitchen.wordp.....llah/

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Nov 19 2012, 9:47 pm
wispalover wrote:
never made any of these but google yielded:

http://gentleworld.org/seven-d.....eads/

http://kruleinthekitchen.wordp.....llah/

Thanks so much for responding, but all of those recipes have things from my list of no-no's.

Imma2+2

Post Tue, Nov 20 2012, 1:37 pm
Depending on how careful you need to be, xanthan gum might be OK. It is a very processed, and might not contain any corn protein.
Then again, I did see some sources that suggested it can cause gi symptoms for some people. I'm still researching the issue.
It sure is in a lot of gluten-free foods, especially the treats like cookies!

Please share if you come across something that works!

IMHopinion

Post Tue, Nov 20 2012, 2:45 pm
Is a recipe for Matzah, made out of oats interesting to you?

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Nov 20 2012, 3:13 pm
What about something with sprouts ?

Imma2+2

Post Tue, Nov 20 2012, 3:21 pm
I'm interested in a good recipe for oat matza - the ones I found weren't very specific, and didn't turn out well. And I don't have baking tiles, and I can't bake on the floor of my oven (exposed, raised element), which is what some recipes required for baking.

How would I use sprouts? I'm not the OP, so I don't know if they are allowed on her diet, but I can eat them.

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Nov 21 2012, 10:09 pm
IMHopinion wrote:
Is a recipe for Matzah, made out of oats interesting to you?

Absolutely!

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Nov 21 2012, 10:11 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
What about something with sprouts ?

As in alfalfa and such? I happen to have several jars here I sprouted this week. If you have some secret way to turn them into challah I'm all ears.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sat, Dec 01 2012, 6:14 pm
I have a great answer.
Equal parts of oats and water, baked in a muffin tin. You can add more water to make it soft or less to make it dryer. My friend was eating this at Sudan Salishit today and it looked nice. She eats no sugar flour salt etc....

Imma2+2

Post Sat, Dec 01 2012, 8:26 pm
What kind of oats? Quick (1 min), regular rolled, or steel-cut?

Chana Miriam S

Post Sat, Dec 01 2012, 10:43 pm
I can find out, but since she did not specify I am going to assume whatever you have on hand would be fine...

newmommy22

Post Sun, Dec 02 2012, 12:31 am
Can you have honey and xantham gum. (corn derived) I think I have such a recipe. I just have to go look for it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads