Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Does anyone know why recipe calls for storage in a glass jar

HealthCoach

Post Fri, Jan 19 2007, 7:58 am
I made horseradish (from Spice and Spirit), which is made from horseradish root, beets, vinegar, sugar, and salt. The recipe says this should be stored in a glass jar with a tight lid. Does anyone know why a glass jar would be preferable to a plastic container? Does anyone know how long it will stay good in the refrigerator? Does anyone know if the horseradish can be frozen and if it can, what it can be frozen in? Does anyone have recommendations on where to get glass jars, or know of glass jars that can go in the freezer?

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jan 19 2007, 8:20 am
I pity the plastic container that's chosen for this recipe!

mimsy7420

Post Fri, Jan 19 2007, 8:20 am
I would use a glass jar that I already have, like an empty pickle jar. Just give a quick dip in the mikvah.

mimsy7420

Post Fri, Jan 19 2007, 8:21 am
Plastic isn't usually used for long term storage. I'm not sure why. But most liquidy preserved foods are preserved in glass jars.

HealthCoach

Post Fri, Jan 19 2007, 9:03 am
Do you know if it's possible to freeze horseradish, and if it's possible to put a glass jar in the freezer?

HealthCoach

Post Fri, Jan 19 2007, 9:04 am
Quote:

Plastic isn't usually used for long term storage. I'm not sure why. But most liquidy preserved foods are preserved in glass jars.

Does the glass preserver it, or does preservatives need to be added? I cannot use preservatives.

withhumor

Post Fri, Jan 19 2007, 10:11 am
Also, the color will seep into the plastic, and the plastic ‘taste’ and chemicals will seep into the food. I am pretty sure it can freeze well, I never tried it. Let me know, I’d love to try it.

P.S. on pesach my mother makes her own (without vinegar) and it lass for months after pesach, so don’t worry about the preservatives.

Also, if you are on the SCD diet, please PM me.

Mommy3.5

Post Sat, Jan 20 2007, 5:59 pm
glass is a better preserver of taste. DO NOT freeze a glass Jar, it will burst. I don't think freezing horseraddish is a great I dea, but feel free to try in a plastic container!

greenfire

Post Sat, Jan 20 2007, 6:06 pm
glass - will definately break in the freezer

HealthCoach

Post Sat, Jan 20 2007, 9:14 pm
I put it in the refrigerator in Mason Jars. I hope that it will last for a while.

BeershevaBubby

Post Sat, Jan 20 2007, 9:39 pm
Mason jars are perfect for it.

Plastic will absorb the smell, flavor and color if kept long enough. Glass also affords a better seal.

If the horseradish is strong enough, it will keep for months in the fridge.

anuta

Post Sat, Jan 20 2007, 9:40 pm
Glass doesn't break in the freezer. I make my own baby food and freeze in empty baby food jars. The key is not to fill it to the top, because liquid-based stuff expands when frozen, so give it room to expand inside the freezer.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics