Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Why do ganim/nursery schools have to have sand/ boxes?

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Nov 26 2012, 8:19 am
A friend of ours told us that a few days after gan started he woke up screaming one night and they found out he had worms. This happened to a few kids. This was a private gan so they got rid of the sand box. But why do ganim and early childhood establishments have to have sand pits or sand all over?

Its annoying when the child comes home with the whole beach in their shoes and we have another friend whose daughter complains every night that her v@gina hurts her (my daughter does not like the sand, so we are a bit luckier) because inevitably there is sand in there.

It is such an annoyance, really. What are the good things about having sand? I can name many annoying and bad things.

(vent over)

yo'ma

Post Mon, Nov 26 2012, 8:40 am
I also hate it. In the school my kids used to go to they had the playground in sand, not a sandbox, but the whole playground was sand. That's pretty much the only reason I'm happy my preschoolers are not in that school. To top it off, 99% of the city playgrounds are also sand. There is one that has half sand and half not, but it's not close and I have to go by taxi, which then I can't take all my kids at one time. There's a playground close to me that didn't have sand, but the park itself was lousy, but we went anyway. At the end of the summer last year they started doing construction on it and when we passed by two weeks ago to see if it was finished and we saw the playground is in sand Exploding anger , but it's still the same lousy rides. Sad

yo'ma

Post Mon, Nov 26 2012, 8:44 am
I started this thread a few years ago when my ds was in the other school, but now he's in 2nd grade, but I have others in preschool and b'h not in that school.

oliveoil

Post Mon, Nov 26 2012, 9:05 am
When I was a kid we had a climb-in sandbox, but I haven't seen one of those in years. I've worked in several preschools and they all have the ones where you stand outside and play with the sand using toys. Then the teachers change it throughout the year - sometimes its sand, raw rice, popcorn (unpopped), snow in the winter, etc. It's really important for children who need extra sensory input, and really a good thing for most kids.

Culturedpearls

Post Mon, Nov 26 2012, 9:33 am
Sand is really great for a preschoolers development. One teacher my sons had also had a mud patch. Oy, did the boys love it. They would don rubbers & plastic rain coats & dig in the mud.
It was a great energy outlet. When my boys were little we made a sandpit in our back yard. They loved it & besides having sand come into the house it was great fun. I have adorable videos of them digging & transporting sand in their little wheelbarrow.
I'm getting nostalgic!

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Nov 26 2012, 9:34 am
oliveoil wrote:
When I was a kid we had a climb-in sandbox, but I haven't seen one of those in years. I've worked in several preschools and they all have the ones where you stand outside and play with the sand using toys. Then the teachers change it throughout the year - sometimes its sand, raw rice, popcorn (unpopped), snow in the winter, etc. It's really important for children who need extra sensory input, and really a good thing for most kids.
OK, I guess I am not talking about sand boxes but more so when the playground at the ganim are sand, does that make more sense? This is what makes me nuts. I understand the sensory part of it, but not the part when my daughter comes home with a whole beach of sand in her shoes, socks, pants, hair, its crazy.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Nov 26 2012, 9:50 am
Kids generally love it, it's cheap, and when you fall it hurts less than stone.

RachelEve14

Post Mon, Nov 26 2012, 9:58 am
Ruchel wrote:
Kids generally love it, it's cheap, and when you fall it hurts less than stone.

I think that sums it up.

We have one park here with the soft tiles (expensive, and hot in the summer), one with little rocks, and most of the rest have sand. The ganim used to not have sand but in the last year or so they have now (at least the one by me).

chani8

Post Mon, Nov 26 2012, 10:33 am
I can top your complaint. Here in yerucham we have a problem with a certain terrible sand fly, and last year my DD got bit, at gan. It was horrible. It took months for it to heal. And now she has a large scar on her leg.

My other foster child was getting bitten by sand fleas, at gan. She scratches at the bites and they bleed and scab, and now she has little scars all over her legs.

ianaii

Post Mon, Nov 26 2012, 12:33 pm
In Israel there are so many cats who do their business in the sand box... it is disgusting. My daughter comes home almost every day covered in Sand. I hate it!

shev

Post Mon, Nov 26 2012, 1:35 pm
My childs iriya gan has sand with stones Rolling Eyes
Can't get why they don't get rid of that. He came home already only to tell me he fell and hurt himself.

In the kitchen

Post Mon, Nov 26 2012, 2:48 pm
Our Maon has sandboxes for the two older classes and we are very makpid about covering the sand with the tarp as soon as we finish playing there so that cats don't defecate in it. I can see how this suggestion wouldn't work if it is a playground but if you are talking about a sand box maybe bring it up.

ElTam

Post Mon, Nov 26 2012, 3:08 pm
If my child's school had one, I would be very adamant about it being covered. The infection from cat's using it as a litterbox can be very serious or even fatal.

They make sand-tables that can be used inside or out and put away. The kids can dig and play without sitting in the sand. There's no reason for sandboxes.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Nov 26 2012, 3:30 pm
In the kitchen wrote:
Our Maon has sandboxes for the two older classes and we are very makpid about covering the sand with the tarp as soon as we finish playing there so that cats don't defecate in it. I can see how this suggestion wouldn't work if it is a playground but if you are talking about a sand box maybe bring it up.
As I mentioned earlier, I am not, in my daughter's gan talking about a sand box. The entire play area outside has sand as its bottom.

In the kitchen

Post Mon, Nov 26 2012, 3:45 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
In the kitchen wrote:
As I mentioned earlier, I am not, in my daughter's gan talking about a sand box. The entire play area outside has sand as its bottom.

I understood, but I think that some people who replied were referring to sand boxes hence I made the suggestion. I know that this wouldn't work with a playground and I wish that our neighborhood's playground would have a foam ground but they said it was too expensive so instead we have these teeny white rocks that turn all clothes white etc.

Isramom8

Post Mon, Nov 26 2012, 4:36 pm
Baby powder gets off sand really well. Wipe with tissues or a towel, not anything moist. Don't use water.

Culturedpearls

Post Mon, Nov 26 2012, 4:48 pm
The problem with the entire ground being sand is that you cannot keep it clean & cover it at night. Ugh, it's like playing on the beach all day with your clothes on.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics