Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs -> Mazel Tov on Birthdays & Anniversaries
Single friend's 30th birthday
1  2  Next

ffbmom

Post Tue, Nov 27 2012, 6:38 am
A few of us want to make something special for our friend's 30th. She's single, so we want to be sensitive. Any suggestions of something we could do besides going out for dinner?

mandksima

Post Tue, Nov 27 2012, 7:00 am
It probably doesn't matter so much where you go or what you do to celebrate just try not to go on and on about your husband and/or kids as that puts her in an awkward place, feeling out of the group. If you have more single friends to invite it shouldn't feel weird at all.

theprocastinator

Post Tue, Nov 27 2012, 8:21 am
Something fun like bowling, or ice skating?

Isramom8

Post Tue, Nov 27 2012, 9:49 am
Would you take a married woman of 30 out to bowl or ice skate for her birthday? If so, fine. If not, why do something that kids do? She's 30, not 10.

Fabulous

Post Tue, Nov 27 2012, 9:54 am
Out to dinner and maybe a broadway show if she would enjoy that.

Fabulous

Post Tue, Nov 27 2012, 9:54 am
Isramom8 wrote:
Would you take a married woman of 30 out to bowl or ice skate for her birthday? If so, fine. If not, why do something that kids do? She's 30, not 10.

I know plenty of thirty plus year olds (married and not) who go bowling and ice skating.

it depends on what the friend enjoys

watergirl

Post Tue, Nov 27 2012, 10:12 am
what does her marital status have to do with it? how about to a comedy club?

theprocastinator

Post Tue, Nov 27 2012, 10:23 am
Isramom8 wrote:

I am a married woman over 30, and yes, I enjoy bowling and ice skating. Much more than dinner in a restaurant. Obviously, I don't know this girl's interests any more than you do.

IMHopinion

Post Tue, Nov 27 2012, 10:26 am
mandksima wrote:
It probably doesn't matter so much where you go or what you do to celebrate just try not to go on and on about your husband and/or kids as that puts her in an awkward place, feeling out of the group. If you have more single friends to invite it shouldn't feel weird at all.

And don't keep the topic of husbands and kids taboo either.
Same hurtful as rambling on about them. She knows you're married with kids. Just don't go to either extreme.

Peanut2

Post Tue, Nov 27 2012, 10:45 am
It also depends on what you like and what is available where you live and how much time you have.
But dinner is always fun. If there is stuff you all used to do before the majority of the group was married and you haven't since you can try for that (a show, a day of shopping, etc.)

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Nov 27 2012, 10:46 am
I don't know how much $$ you want to spend... spa day? massages? mani/pedi? museum? tasting-menu dinner?

sarachana

Post Tue, Nov 27 2012, 6:40 pm
smoothie party!

bring tons of frozen fruits and juices and make lots of different flavors...its so yummy, inexpensive and healthy....this is what I would want my friends to do for me! Smile

Fabulous

Post Tue, Nov 27 2012, 7:17 pm
sarachana wrote:
smoothie party!

bring tons of frozen fruits and juices and make lots of different flavors...its so yummy, inexpensive and healthy....this is what I would want my friends to do for me! Smile

add alcohol for those who like but slightly more expensive Cool

yaeli83

Post Tue, Nov 27 2012, 11:08 pm
so fun! I am around that age, and if I could have a night with just the girls, I would probably want to go for a mani/pedi and lunch or coffee/ice cream on a Sunday afternoon Smile

Think about your friends interests when deciding. You obviously want to do something that appeals to her and will make her happy.

enjoy!

ElTam

Post Tue, Nov 27 2012, 11:20 pm
Do what would be interesting to her. Maybe just ask her?

I was single when I turned 30. I wanted a pinata (I had never had one) and a Curious George cake (I was into Curious George at the time). My friends got me both. (I'm a kid at heart.)

And I was engaged before my next birthday. :-) May this be a wonderful year for your friend. She is lucky to have caring friends.

Isramom8

Post Wed, Nov 28 2012, 12:25 am
I like bowling, but at this stage in my life, I go for a "family bonding on chol hamoed" type of thing, not for my own fun. I just don't think this woman should be treated younger because she's not married. Do you know women of 30 who stam bowl in their free time?

theprocastinator

Post Wed, Nov 28 2012, 12:43 am
Isramom8 wrote:
I like bowling, but at this stage in my life, I go for a "family bonding on chol hamoed" type of thing, not for my own fun. I just don't think this woman should be treated youbger because she's not married. Do you know women of 30 who stam bowl in their free time?

I know married women who get together for bike riding, roller blading, playing handball in the park. Yes, kids do these kinds of things too, but you've never seen adults bike riding? These are not activities exclusively done by kids.
I love having fun- I've gone bowling with my DH many times (ice skating is not his kind of fun-I go with my girls), have done bowling and ice skating on double dates with other frum couples who are fun loving.

These are the kinds of things I enjoy, but others had great suggestions, too. I meant to emphasize "do something fun" and not the bowling, per se. I did not have her marital status in mind when I posted. I apologize if I offended you or anyone else reading the post.

Isramom8

Post Wed, Nov 28 2012, 1:24 am
theprocastinator wrote:
Isramom8 wrote:
I like bowling, but at this stage in my life, I go for a "family bonding on chol hamoed" type of thing, not for my own fun. I just don't think this woman should be treated youbger because she's not married. Do you know women of 30 who stam bowl in their free time?

I know married women who get together for bike riding, roller blading, playing handball in the park. Yes, kids do these kinds of things too, but you've never seen adults bike riding? These are not activities exclusively done by kids.
I love having fun- I've gone bowling with my DH many times (ice skating is not his kind of fun-I go with my girls), have done bowling and ice skating on double dates with other frum couples who are fun loving.

These are the kinds of things I enjoy, but others had great suggestions, too. I meant to emphasize "do something fun" and not the bowling, per se. I did not have her marital status in mind when I posted. I apologize if I offended you or anyone else reading the post.

You didn't offend me! Just this week I did an activity for fun that could be described as kid-like.

DrMom

Post Wed, Nov 28 2012, 1:27 am
I significantly over 30 and I'd love to go ice-skating for my birthday.

Just because you are over 30 doesn't mean you are decrepit or staid.

Isramom8

Post Wed, Nov 28 2012, 1:32 am
DrMom wrote:
I significantly over 30 and I'd love to go ice-skating for my birthday.

Just because you are over 30 doesn't mean you are decrepit or staid.

Right. And just because you're single, doesn't mean you're childish.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs -> Mazel Tov on Birthdays & Anniversaries