Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Shabbos in Orlando - Chabad or Kosher hotel?
1  2  Next

chica

Post Tue, Nov 27 2012, 8:22 am
We'll iyh be in Orlando during the Yeshivah break. I know that during this time the chabad has shabbos meals at their location. I'm also looking at the kosher hotel - Worldgate with Cohen's Deli. Does anyone know anything about this hotel? Do they actually have minyans on Shabbos, if so, what type of minyan (who leads?)
I'm trying to find information on their website but there isn't any. (It just says it has a minyan - with no contact information.)

Cookies n Cream

Post Tue, Nov 27 2012, 10:37 am
I don't think it's open yet.
It will be in conjunction with the Chabad.
So check out Chabad of Orlando-Rabbi Konokov's website and see if there's anything there.

chica

Post Tue, Nov 27 2012, 11:41 am
I've checked out the chabad website as well and there is no information up yet about the Shabbos meals. (Plus it is easier for me to get to the "kosher hotel" for shabbos than the further one.)
I know I have 1 1/2 months to plan for shabbos, but I'm not big on last minute.
Thanks!

amother

Post Tue, Nov 27 2012, 12:29 pm
There are two Jewish families running the Orlando Torah Academy.
Maybe you can stay in their area and daven/eat by them?
They have a separate shul, not chabad.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 27 2012, 1:47 pm
I must thank you op, I'm planning on visiting orlando in jan, and thought ill have to travel to miami for shabbos (which I've made inquiries, and would end up costing me about $500-$600) after seeing ur post I looked them up online, (worldgate resort) I did get a phone #, I spoke to the (jewish) person who gave me prices, and info, he said its up already, they're only still working on opening a dairy rest. soon! Its gonna end up costing us only over $300 the entire shabbos! Thanks so much! U can give him a call: 352-729-3399!
To speak directly to the hotel: 407-997-2100, its cheaper if u mention that u want the kosher package!

Cookies n Cream

Post Wed, Dec 05 2012, 4:46 pm
I just recieved this email:

Dec. 2012 - Kislev 5773

Please be advised that the Kosher Certification for COHEN'S DELI at The Worldgate Hotel in Orlando (Kissimmee, FL), has been SUSPENDED.
Should they come in Compliance and become Kosher again, it would be updated on the RCF Website www.VaadRCF.com .

Happy Chanukah,

Rabbi Yosef Konikov
RCF - Rabbinate of Central FL

amother

Post Wed, Dec 05 2012, 5:01 pm
Omg!! Thank you so much, I've almost made reservations already! But what I don't understand is, why are they still doing the "kosher package"?!? I spoke with the hotel TODAY and they're still giving me rates for the "yeshiva package" with the meals from "cohens deli!!??

Cookies n Cream

Post Wed, Dec 05 2012, 5:06 pm
amother wrote:
Omg!! Thank you so much, I've almost made reservations already! But what I don't understand is, why are they still doing the "kosher package"?!? I spoke with the hotel TODAY and they're still giving me rates for the "yeshiva package" with the meals from "cohens deli!!??

That is nerve.
Doesn't sound trustworthy to me (which may be a reason why the certification has been taken off.....)

amother

Post Wed, Dec 05 2012, 5:14 pm
just curious, where did u get that info from?

Cookies n Cream

Post Wed, Dec 05 2012, 5:18 pm
amother wrote:
just curious, where did u get that info from?

I got the email directly from Rabbi Konikov/Rabbinate of Central Florida.

chica

Post Wed, Dec 05 2012, 5:22 pm
Wow. thank you for posting this. Seems decision is made for us!

amother

Post Wed, Dec 05 2012, 5:58 pm
Ok, it seems like there is SOME kind of misunderstanding, cause when I sent them an email about what ur saying, I got this answer back from them:

That is not true, if you go on the site you will see that we are moving to a major Haschgacha and at the moment, we are under orthodox supervision. I would be grateful if you would send me any correspondence that states we are no longer kosher as we have never changed our direction and always have a mashgiach Temidi on premises full time. If you would like to talk to me about it or our resident Rabbi, we would be delighted to speak with you or pass you to another Rabbi in Orlando who will vouch for us.

Shalom,

Jock

So I sent them back asking for the rabbis phone #, so I guess we'll figure it out!

Cookies n Cream

Post Wed, Dec 05 2012, 6:20 pm
amother wrote:
Ok, it seems like there is SOME kind of misunderstanding, cause when I sent them an email about what ur saying, I got this answer back from them:

That is not true, if you go on the site you will see that we are moving to a major Haschgacha and at the moment, we are under orthodox supervision. I would be grateful if you would send me any correspondence that states we are no longer kosher as we have never changed our direction and always have a mashgiach Temidi on premises full time. If you would like to talk to me about it or our resident Rabbi, we would be delighted to speak with you or pass you to another Rabbi in Orlando who will vouch for us.

Shalom,

Jock

So I sent them back asking for the rabbis phone #, so I guess we'll figure it out!

ANOTHER Rabbi in Orlando?
If they're claiming that they're still under the supervision and that they have never changed their direction, then why can't you speak to the the Rabbi giving the supervision? (I guess because he suspended it...?)
Interesting.

Ashrei

Post Wed, Dec 05 2012, 7:29 pm
I got the same email about them being suspended. Maybe they're just between hasgachas right now.

When we were in Orlando, we ate at Cohen's Deli often, although it was not in a hotel. Just the deli. If it's run by the same people, I can't imagine it not being Kosher... Ppl there with beards, kippas, very heimish frum vibe from this place and the people running it. I would trust them (and their food was awesome, btw).

chica

Post Thu, Dec 06 2012, 1:34 pm
I know it can happen that a restaurant will change hashgacha and due to politics is will say that they lost their hechsher from the first place. I guess you can just wait it out. DH said he was more comfortable at this point making reservations with the chabad.

chica

Post Sun, Jan 13 2013, 11:11 am
Another question:
TO those who have stayed at the Westgate hotel in the past, how far is the walk to the chabad? Will my 18 month old be able to cross the street (holding my hand obviously?) Will he be able to walk it? THanks!

chica

Post Sun, Jan 13 2013, 2:49 pm
Anyone? Please. I need to know before I book the hotel!
Thanks!

itsayear

Post Sun, Jan 13 2013, 4:46 pm
I think Chabad there has a different location during the week and on Shabbos. Double check that the Westgate is near their Shabbos location, I'm not sure that it is. The Westgate is not an especially nice place at all, the element of people staying there leaves a lot to be desired. There are other hotels on all the corners right around it that could probably work too.

lavender_dew

Post Sun, Jan 13 2013, 5:04 pm
If they are offering shabbat services at their chabad center then it is a short walk across the street and a large (pretty empty) parking lot, thats it. Just keep in mind the rabbi does shabbat services at his home which is not close at all. So im not sure how it works when they offer services @ the center. Anyway ive found the westgate to be very nice. But dh and I have also stayed at country inn and suites a few times, nothing fancy but its close, half the price of westgate and very accomodating for religious guests

Post Sun, Jan 13 2013, 5:11 pm
I stayed at a place across the street from the Chabad Center. The place was very nice with full facilities and right across from the Chabad center. Contact the Rabbi. He was very helpful.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics