Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Would you get Botox if money wasn't an issue?
1  2  Next

Raw

Post Sun, Dec 02 2012, 8:30 am
My understanding is that in the secular world in many cities (I.e. New York, Los Angeles), getting Botox and fillers once you reach a certain age is ubiquitous and no longer something to be embarrassed about.

I wonder what the attitude is among frum women. If money was not an issue, would you consider Botox or other invasive anti-aging interventions?

Perhaps the fact that most of us marry relatively young - before wrinkles become an obstacle when dating - protects us somehow?

How far would you go (when Botox is no longer considered ''going far'') to look beautiful?

I am not yet old enough to consider Botox, but I know if I even considered it my DH would be mortified.

chavaih

Post Sun, Dec 02 2012, 8:34 am
I feel very uncomfortable with the whole idea, but can't put my finger on the exact reason, it seems a bit fake, like plastic surgery, its not the real me, although I am a big fashion and beauty fan.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Dec 02 2012, 8:35 am
I would never in a million years ever even think of botox. I look forward to getting grey and wrinkled. Being old (and looking old) should not be the bad thing that people make it. I always loved looking at my grandparent's faces. The lines showed that they had lived a long productive life. Nothing at all wrong with that.
I look forward to getting wrinkly and grey Smile and Im only 33 Smile

grace413

Post Sun, Dec 02 2012, 8:36 am
Never. Injecting foreign substances into my body does not appeal to me. IIRC, Botox works by paralyzing some facial muscles. Yuck.

I am old enough that I have some wrinkles (BH, not too many). I will admit to having stood in front of the mirror, lifting my cheeks up and back and saying, yes that does look better. But I still wouldn't have injections or surgery to try to look younger.

vintagebknyc

Post Sun, Dec 02 2012, 8:38 am
I've had a teeny amount of work done--back when finances weren't an issue--and you'd never know it. some lip on a hereditary double chin, a breast reduction performed when it wasn't medically necessary. (and if you knew me, you'd be shocked, because I wear little makeup, am sort of a hippie chick, and don't even own high heels.)

however, do you care a lick what anyone else thinks? not so much. this was about me feeling good about me. I have to tell you, it worked.

botox? why not. if it doesn't hurt me, who loses?

amother

Post Sun, Dec 02 2012, 8:57 am
vintagebknyc wrote:
I've had a teeny amount of work done--back when finances weren't an issue--and you'd never know it. some lip on a hereditary double chin, a breast reduction performed when it wasn't medically necessary. (and if you knew me, you'd be shocked, because I wear little makeup, am sort of a hippie chick, and don't even own high heels.)

however, do you care a lick what anyone else thinks? not so much. this was about me feeling good about me. I have to tell you, it worked.

botox? why not. if it doesn't hurt me, who loses?

I agree with this, and it would be my main argument for Botox. My concern is injecting botulism and other poisons, and repairing the kitchen and making the dining room look old by comparison!

amother

Post Sun, Dec 02 2012, 9:03 am
Why not? I never thought about botox but if it makes you feel better do it.

One of my friends turned fifty and had a tuneup. She had her face, breast and stomach done and she looked like she was in her 30s and her body looked like she was in her 20s.

I know a few frum ladies that got their stomachs done.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 02 2012, 9:08 am
Maybe. I scar easily (keloids) and I would first look into the risks. That's why I wouldn't have plastic surgery.I think botox is just an injection, so maybe.

zissy2004

Post Sun, Dec 02 2012, 9:15 am
No.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 02 2012, 11:26 am
depending what u using the botox for.

I had botox done in my eye to stop double vision and it has worked real well! lasted 5 yrs (when usualy u have to redo it every 3 months or so)
since I see that it can last in my body, maybe I would consider using it for other parts of my body. (as of now I baruch hashem look very young..... so I hope it will stay like this and I wont need to think of using botox for anything)

amother

Post Sun, Dec 02 2012, 11:48 am
I have a very close relative (which is why I'm anon here) who works with Botox and related stuff. I could certainly have it done and a reasonable cost.

I hesitate because I know people who've done it and their faces just don't look normal.

What I'd really like (and would never do) is a face lift -- I've lost a lot of weight, kept it off, and have lots of sags. I don't want to fill them out, I'd like to get rid of them.

If I thought that Botox would make me look the way I want, I'd do it in a flash. But I'm skeptical that I'd get the results I want.

Basmelechpnima

Post Sun, Dec 02 2012, 11:55 am
If it only made me look more refreshed as opposed to different and is safe I would do it. Did you do your research on safety issues? Do you know what can go wrong?

rachel91

Post Sun, Dec 02 2012, 12:07 pm
Ask me that question in another lets say 20 years, we'll see what they'll say about it then Very Happy

bigsis144

Post Sun, Dec 02 2012, 12:09 pm
NEVER.

Willingly inject botulism (the most powerful poison in existence) toxin into my face to paralyze the muscles? Lose my ability to smile and have normal facial expressions (see actresses like Nicole Kidman, and way too many cheap-looking Housewives of X) upon the altar of youth?

NO THANK YOU.

ETA: injecting for medical reasons is very different than for vanity. Maybe I'm oversimplifying because I'm only 24, but I hope I have the self-esteem to age gracefully when I start to show my age.

Last edited by bigsis144 on Sun, Dec 02 2012, 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Maya

Post Sun, Dec 02 2012, 12:13 pm
I probably would, but very sparingly. I can't stand the fake look, and I think that comes from too much use.

sky

Post Sun, Dec 02 2012, 3:52 pm
No.

I could see it very common in some frum communities where looks and staying young is very important.

But does it really paralyze the muscles?
I recently had a nursing student over and she was describing it differently - and said it doesn't paralyze.

zaq

Post Sun, Dec 02 2012, 6:47 pm
Never. There is some evidence that Botox can result in UNWANTED muscle paralysis and other health effects long after the treatment, and not just in the treated area. IOW, something like mild botulism poisoning at some future point, at some distance from the injection site.

When Botox as beauty treatment was first publicized, the first thought I had was "what's to stop it from causing paralysis elsewhere?" Took a while to come to light, but behold, it happens.

yes, sky, it does REALLY paralyze the muscle. the paralysis wears off over time, which is why people get repeat treatments. While under its effects, you cannot use that particular muscle, so your face will look unnaturally "flat" and unexpressive. If you're not a very expressive person, anyway, it may not matter much (though if you're not expressive, you probably have fewer lines than expressive types to begin with). If you;re an expressive person who uses her face to communicate silently or to emphasize her words, then you may as well gag yourself because half your communication will be lost.

Happy18

Post Sun, Dec 02 2012, 7:11 pm
I used to think about it as a possibility and dh would have no problem with it, but I think there is something wrong about choosing to inject toxins into my body for non medical purposes.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 02 2012, 7:19 pm
THe day I see just one person look better after Botox then Before I would consider.

joy613

Post Sun, Dec 02 2012, 9:33 pm
amother wrote:
THe day I see just one person look better after Botox then Before I would consider.

I'm with you.

Personally I can't understand why someone would get Botox. Instead of some lines they're getting this wierd, pulled skin, expressionless face, which in my opinion is uglier than some wrinkles.
I have never seen anyone looking better or prettier with it. I wouldn't even say they look younger, just different. And it's pretty noticeable too.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics