Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Chicken Breasts for Shabbos Lunch

HooRYou

Post Tue, Dec 18 2012, 11:43 pm
I am looking for ideas of how to serve chicken breasts or shnitzels hot for Shabbos lunch, preferably hot. I already know about all variations of shnitzel (I.e. coconut chicken, almond chicken, etc.). I would really like some kind of stew or slow-cooked recipe with veggies, but I am worried the chicken will dry out.

yaelinIN

Post Wed, Dec 19 2012, 12:03 am
After cooking the shnitzel (cut each breast into 3-4 pieces on the grain plus the tender), put down a large piece of parchment paper and put each shnitzel in one layer -- no stacking -- and let cool. Refrigerate until about 1-2 hours before serving and put the paper (preferably on top of a cookie sheet) on the plata. Flip about halfway through the time. You will have hot, crispy shnitzel for Shabbos lunch!

write on

Post Wed, Dec 19 2012, 7:11 am
Yael, great suggestion I'm just wondering if it is halachically okay to do that on Shabbbos. Not sure, just wondering.

yaelinIN

Post Wed, Dec 19 2012, 9:10 am
Do you reheat cold, dry foods on Shabbos on a plata (not a blech!)? If so, then it should be no issue.

You aren't allowed to place cold, dry foods on again on Shabbos day on a blech, but some seem to say even on a plata.

You couldn't do my method if you left them on a blech all Shabbos -- too dry. You could also try putting the tray of shnitzel on the top of another pot on the blech already (like your cholent or kum-kum). If you use a metal tray, they should get warm enough within an hour or so. Don't forget to flip them at least once during the heating up so they will be crispy and warm on both sides.

CYLOR!

PS Thanks -- I got do some chazara on hilchos Shabbos! Very Happy

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Dec 19 2012, 9:56 am
You can use a timer--you place the dry food straight from the fridge while the timer is on OFF position, but set the timer to turn ON mid-morning.

I wasn't aware of the different status between plata vs blech.

As for the OP's original question, I find chicken breasts tend to dry out and get tough even in stew/casserole. Dark meat reheats much better IMHO. The only thing I can think of is tabeet, basically chicken baked and surrounded by rice, a typical Iraqi shabbat lunch. I've posted recipes before.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus