Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
English vs. Hebrew gan...

amother

Post Wed, Jan 24 2007, 4:03 pm
What should I do with my 3.5 yr old daughter next year? This year she's in a private english gan in my neighborhood in Yerushalayim. For next year, there isn't an english gan in the neighborhood. Is it better (for her sake) to put her in the bais yaakov heb. gan nearby or send her to an eng. gan in another neighborhood (which means we'll have to arrange transportation)?

Anyone have any experience with the Bais Yaakov Gans in Israel?

shalhevet

Post Wed, Jan 24 2007, 4:39 pm
Why, amother? And since we're talking of hidden forums, aren't you in the Israel forum to ask this?

Anyway, to the point. I have 3 dds who went to BY ganim for 3 years. You can pm me for any specific questions, or post this in the Israel forum and I will answer you more specifically there.

On the whole I was very satisfied. If she has only spoken English until now, IMHO she will carry on speaking English at home even if she is in a Hebrew gan.

Ima'la

Post Wed, Jan 24 2007, 4:51 pm
I can only speak about the BY ganim in RBS, but I LOVE them! The gananot are WONDERFUL! And your daughter is at a great age to start learning Hebrew - later it will only be harder. She won't forget her English if you make sure to speak it at home. The only reason I can see for keeping her in English gan is if you're planning to move to an English-speaking country in the next couple of years - so why bother struggling to learn Hebrew.

Imaonwheels

Post Thu, Jan 25 2007, 3:33 am
Outside of a few neighborhoods in Y-m there are no Eng sp gans, even in the 2nd largest Anglo community - Rechovot. They do not really affect the ability to speak English. They make parents feel better. The most important thing is the is the families attitude. I have friends who always spoke English in the house and their children do as well. All Israeli kids, no matter where they go to school will definitely think in Hebrew and speak it when not in their parents company. They will probably speak it between themselves at home.

The child in the English gan will definitely speak Hebrew anyway but will not be prepared for 1st grade language usage and grammar. Much work is done in the BY gans on using correct Ivrit. The gannenet will not be evaluating him for age appropriate usage because he will not have it. Some children there may not have any exposure or minimal exposure to Ivrit in the ages that are most significant for cognitive development. From an educational view point, I would say unless one is temporarily in Israel (less than a year) and has no desire for their children to learn here in school, English gan is a bad idea. For some children it can even cause probs.

In addition the BY system of ganim is well supervised, as far as I know the English gans are mostly private and not supervised by anyone. Also, are the English gan using translated Israeli material? The amount of real experiential learning in gan is different than American preschool. It is worthwhile for the child that gan prepare them for the school they will be attending. If she will be in BY or Shas in 1st grade, the BY gans will prepare her very well and the care will be good. There are many things they do that we have ceased in the Chabad system and the results have not been favorble. I would recommend the BY gan easily, esp in Y-m where you have a choice of them.

BinahYeteirah

Post Thu, Jan 25 2007, 4:23 am
Imaonwheels wrote:
The amount of real experiential learning in gan is different than American preschool.

This is pretty off topic, but could you elaborate on this?

amother

Post Sun, Jan 28 2007, 5:32 am
Thanx. I guess our best bet is to keep dd local next year. But then again, My inlaws speak hebrew as there main language (they speak english a little too) so I am worried about dd keeping a good english? We speak english at home but inlaws might start speaking heb. to her once they know she's in heb. gan?
Any Suggestions?

Imaonwheels

Post Sun, Jan 28 2007, 6:12 am
It doesn't matter who else speaks Hebrew if you do and lovingly show its important. Girls start English classes in 4th grade. Many kids from Anglo homes do the full bagrut, which includes difficult reading and translation. I don't know if BY tests English on the same high level but it is prob more than is necessary anyway.

Imaonwheels

Post Sun, Jan 28 2007, 6:37 am
BinahYeteirah wrote:
Imaonwheels wrote:
The amount of real experiential learning in gan is different than American preschool.

This is pretty off topic, but could you elaborate on this?

I worked one year as a gannenet. The program is really geared to the Israeli frum life. Going out and around often in different seasons and correlation w/holidays is a natural consequence, doing holiday instead of just learning about it. Seeing and touching real things as opposed to buying a lot of artificial equipment. Instead of cutting art paper fall leaves the gannenet and kids go out and collect the leaves decorate the room together. It is totally acceptable to take the kids out and around in the neighborhood in nice weather. There are more trips in Israeli schools as well.

When learning about transportation we took the kids on the bus to a lake. There they had a ferry ride. We then took them to the marina to show them other types of boats and let them play on the beach and go about 1 meter into the water. The bus then took them to the station and we rode the train. After food and a story by a kids' entertainer who we had invited they were happy to sleep the whole way home on the bus.

They make sufganiot and hamentashen instead of buying. Instead of teaching the kids experience and understand for them selves. The better gannenot ran ganim when the govt was very anti and ran superior programs on a shoestring. Very little relying on formal teaching aids.

You also will be amazed at the knowledge and accomplishment when your 5 yr old can occaisionally daven alone if necessary. When your 5 yr old boy can read Chumash and daven from his siddur.

Of course, not if he is misses out on this experience and comes into 1st grade having a disadvantage by not reading and understanding Hebrew as well as the others.

BinahYeteirah

Post Fri, Feb 02 2007, 12:19 am
Oh, I thought all preschools did that type of stuff (baking/cooking something each week, going on nature walks, field trips, etc.). I guess it is just a matter of degree, but I really know nothing about schools in Israel. Maybe the English ones there don't do these things.

Imaonwheels

Post Wed, Feb 07 2007, 12:23 am
The Israeli do something w/the hands every day. The one prob is that some of the younger gannenot will do ready made stuff to hand out because it impresses some parents who don't really appreciate art by 3 yr olds.

I guess what I meant is that every lesson learned is tied in to knowledge/Judaism, language skills, art/crafts/expression, science or math concepts etc. in a unified way. Also there is no reliance on gadgets but use of natural materials and situations.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics