Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cookbooks
Nonkosher Cookbooks Worth Owning
1  2  Next

manyhats

Post Sun, Dec 23 2012, 2:15 pm
I recently bought at BJ's The America's Test Kitchen Healthy Family Cookbook. I was familiar with their work having seen their cooking shows on channel 21. Their specialty is taking popular recipes and improving on them.
Streamlining the directions and tweaking the ingredients to make a healthier product which easier to make. There are plenty of hints, tips, and suggestion for change. This loose lease book is made up of a hard cover with smooth pages. I have not made a/t in it yet but I was thoroughly absorbed reading it.

There are other non kosher books in my library that I find useful; Julia Child's The Way to Cook , Bittman's How to Cook Everything, and Joy of cooking.

Care to share which non kosher cookbooks you find useful?

Clarissa

Post Sun, Dec 23 2012, 2:28 pm
We have an all-milchig kitchen so we have many, many non-kosher cookbooks, many but not all for vegetarian cooking.

Fresh and Fast by Marie Simmons

Vegetarian Planet by Didi Emmons

The Essential Cookbooks (Vegetarian, Appetizer, Mediterranean) which I got at Costco

Silver Palate Cookbooks, Moosewood Cookbooks

Lots of others. Big cookbook collection, here.

imamiri

Post Sun, Dec 23 2012, 2:28 pm
Oh so many. I actually dislike kosher cookbooks because they use junk like margarine or suggest ridiculous things like give kids pasta with KETCHUP. I don't need to spend money on that.

Anyway, I have the:

Joy of Cooking by Irma S. Rombauer
The Professional Chef by Culinary Institute of America
Larousse Gastronomique (has recipes and food history)
And about 20 other ethnic/regional cuisine cookbooks and baking books.

imamiri

Post Sun, Dec 23 2012, 2:29 pm
Clarissa wrote:
We have an all-milchig kitchen so we have many, many non-kosher cookbooks, many but not all for vegetarian cooking.

Fresh and Fast by Marie Simmons

Vegetarian Planet by Didi Emmons

The Essential Cookbooks (Vegetarian, Appetizer, Mediterranean) which I got at Costco

Silver Palate Cookbooks, Moosewood Cookbooks

Lots of others. Big cookbook collection, here.

I love all of the Moosewood cookbooks!

SRD

Post Sun, Dec 23 2012, 2:29 pm
The Joy of Cooking

Vegetarian cookbooks generally
e.g. The Conscious Cook by Tal Ronnen and the vegetable bible (which is great if you use a CSA and don't know what to do with some random vegetables that show up)

Also Rachel Ray's cookbooks are great, but not so healthy.

Despite having some great non-kosher cookbooks, I always end up going back to kosher by design because I know that every recipe will come out delicious.

MimiMommy

Post Sun, Dec 23 2012, 2:43 pm
Better Homes and Gardens - a classic, though I don't use most of the recipes.

mha3484

Post Sun, Dec 23 2012, 2:47 pm
I am a huge fan of anything by Ina Garten. I find so many of her recipes to be kosher friendly.

imasinger

Post Sun, Dec 23 2012, 3:43 pm
Yes, Moosewood and the vegetarian ones.

We do a lot of Chinese cooking, so I love our big Chinese cookbook. The veggie dishes are wonderful.

I also have a couple of the Silver Palate ones that are sometimes nice. And a big Better Homes and Gardens one that has great basics.

manyhats

Post Sun, Dec 23 2012, 3:57 pm
Another favorite is Light Basics Cookbook by Martha Rose Shulman

I initially encountered this book in the library and later bought it at Barnes2 Noble.

Recently I encountered her recipes for healthy kugels in the NY Times.

spring13

Post Sun, Dec 23 2012, 3:58 pm
anything Moosewood, vegetarian ones in general are handy

The Organic Family Cookbook by Anni Daulter

Williams-Sonoma puts out lots of good ones. I have a set where each book is for a different type of food- muffins, vegetables, chicken, etc.

I love books full of cookie recipes.

Clarissa

Post Sun, Dec 23 2012, 4:20 pm
I forgot Williams Sonoma. I use their Fish Cookbook all the time. And James McNair's Breakfast, because I make breakfast for dinner a lot.

wispalover

Post Sun, Dec 23 2012, 4:37 pm
Chef Ottolonghi cookbooks!

chocolate chips

Post Sun, Dec 23 2012, 4:53 pm
Cookies Galore
Cupcakes Galore
Pasta in All Shapes (don't have this but have read it several times from the library)

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Dec 23 2012, 5:22 pm
I have a very broad collection of cookbooks based on what I've found at garage sales. I find myself often going to the Betty Crocker cookbook I got when I got married (that one fell apart, I found a replacement at a thrift shop).
The Settlement Cookbook is a fun resource. Hershey's cookbooks are also fun.
For baking, there's a wonderful one put out by America's Test Kitchen. I was surprised at how good the A Taste of Home baking cookbook was. (Got them both out of the library but would consider buying.)
Another fun cookbook is Casserole Crazy.

Before anyone runs out and buys something based on this thread (especially based on my say so), do see if your library has a copy so you can peruse it first.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Dec 23 2012, 5:50 pm
I get so many free recipes that I haven't bought cookbooks in a long time. when I did, they actually were jewish ones.

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Dec 23 2012, 5:55 pm
I also have the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. I don't really use the recipes, but there's a lot of good information in there. I use it whenever I need to know how to cook meat - like temperature, time, best way to cook certain cuts of meat, etc. Just such good information about ingredients, etc.

spinkles

Post Sun, Dec 23 2012, 6:04 pm
I learned to cook from Jane Brody's Good Food Book and the Tassajara Bread Book.

spring13

Post Sun, Dec 23 2012, 6:09 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
I get so many free recipes that I haven't bought cookbooks in a long time. when I did, they actually were jewish ones.

it's true that I hit allrecipes.com or google a lot when I want to find a recipe for a certain item or using a certain ingredient. but flipping through cookbooks is fun, I have Harry Potter one and a Little House one that are enjoyable to read as well as cook from. And it's easier to get random inspiration from a book than a website.

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Dec 23 2012, 6:51 pm
Joy of Cooking
How to Cook Everything
Gourmet
Vegetable Love
Starting with Ingredients
William Sonoma cookbooks

cookielady

Post Sun, Dec 23 2012, 6:57 pm
I have several from the 365 ways... To cook chicken, to cook chop meat, ways to bake cookies, chocolate. They were great when my kids were younger and I was looking for recipes that were family friendly, nowadays with a mostly adult family it doesn't have same appeal.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics