Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Problem - Don't have the koach to cook!
1  2  Next

ShiraMiri

Post Wed, Jan 24 2007, 7:59 pm
I have been slammed with work this last week, in addition to having a few sick kids. I have been pulling together pathetic meals, but this morning I was supposed to put up a crock pot roast and I forgot in the midst of the morning rush. I didn't have a backup planned so I had my husband pick up pizza on the way home. I feel bad about my lack of desire to cook. I used to be organized and plan, but I feel so crazed lately it's all I can do to keep up with my projects and keep my work stuff and daily schedule organized. Any tips for keeping up with making dinners when life gets especially hectic?

Squash

Post Wed, Jan 24 2007, 8:01 pm
Slow cookers are great.

You could prepare it in the pot the night before, and then just plug it in in the morning.

Squash

Post Wed, Jan 24 2007, 8:01 pm
Keep refrigerated overnight, of course.

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Wed, Jan 24 2007, 8:43 pm
These are some quick things I rely on when I've had a hectic day. Keep these ingredients handy and/or your freezer stocked:

Fish sticks
french toast (excellent w/leftover challah!)
bagels with eggs
pasta with olive oil and garlic (barilla in yellow box is super nutritious (sp?)

Nothing wrong with asking DH to pick up pizza or eating fish sticks for dinner. We all have hard days occasionally and its teaching your children flexibilty... things can be turn out all right even when they don't go according to plan.

Mitzvahmom

Post Wed, Jan 24 2007, 8:51 pm
atleast u have the extra hand!

what I would give for that.

Some weeks are like that... I jsut keep key things avail in the freezer..

We even ahve nights were I make pancakes Smile

yedidya's mom

Post Wed, Jan 24 2007, 9:02 pm
when im rushed I just dump balsamic vinegar and oil or lemon juice and a few dashes of garlic powder on chicken cutlets and broil for 10 min. on each side. then I wash some potatos and stick them in the oven too- the whole process takes 10 min. to prep at most and its a full dinner. if u dont have time for potatos just open up a can of corn. hth

rainbow

Post Wed, Jan 24 2007, 9:03 pm
cereal and milk

scrambled eggs, toast

store-bought tuna salad with crackers, bread, or rice cake
and cut-up tomato, kirby, pepper

what we call 'bread pizza', I forgot the name everyone else calls it: bread with slice cheese and ketchup, bake for a few minutes

Pour rice into a baking pan, then add water, salt, some oil, and as many chicken bottoms as needed. Cover with silver foil and bake for about two hours. After two hours you have a hearty meal!

Place chicken bottoms in baking pan (bekeleh), add sliced or cubed potatoes and sweet potatoes, pour oil over it all, sprinkle some salt and red paprika if desired. Bake at least two hours, sometimes I bake it for three, depends on the amount of oil you have in there. When it's done you have another hearty meal!

When I say baking pan I mean disposable aluminum pans, this way you have no pots to wash!

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Wed, Jan 24 2007, 9:16 pm
I agree - as long has dh doesn't mind -- go for simple!
fish sticks and rice (made in a rice cooker, of course)
chicken made with rice at the same time in the oven
macaroni and cheese
pita pizza (pita w/ sauce and cheese)
cereal and milk can work, too! add some blueberries to make it more healthful! Smile
how about tuna fish sandwiches?
come on - you don't need to eat roast all the time. Smile
no time to cut up a salad? serve sliced tomato on the side so they get their veggies.

withhumor

Post Wed, Jan 24 2007, 9:45 pm
Marney, I go through these ‘waves’ too. when I feel it coming, I cook up a storm and freeze it. Thank goodness I have an extra freezer. Then I let myself enjoy the luxury of standing by the freezer staring into space, 10 minutes before supper time, picking and choosing. If you train them young, they don’t know its from the freezer! You won’t believe the things I freeze….

Squash

Post Wed, Jan 24 2007, 10:15 pm
french toast and canned corn

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Wed, Jan 24 2007, 10:21 pm
you can also keep frozen bagels and cream cheese around.
canned soup Smile canned veggies
instant foods.
chicken nuggets
pizza bagels

a lot of these I use even if I'm not low on time......

withhumor

Post Wed, Jan 24 2007, 10:23 pm
farina and ketchup with broccoli malted, meat patties filled with grapes, and salsa ice cream for dessert

greenfire

Post Wed, Jan 24 2007, 10:26 pm
Hot dogs -
Burgers w/o detail just spice with oregano, pepper & garlic shape broil
heat up canned corn opened right on fire

I agree with the aluminum pans
& anything edible makes a good dinner
Pasta w/marinara sauce & mozerrella cheese
tuna fish sandwiches
frozen blintzes and soup
try fresh pita bread w/frozen flafel balls and those tehina & babaganoosh salads w/bag of lettuce and grape tomatoes (otherwise known as a quick salad)

mumoo

Post Wed, Jan 24 2007, 11:37 pm
Oh Marney, Marney,Marney...... why not order some Chinese Takeout? Very Happy

Squash

Post Wed, Jan 24 2007, 11:41 pm
withhumor wrote:
farina and ketchup with broccoli malted, meat patties filled with grapes, and salsa ice cream for dessert

Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Puke Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

I could tell the pain is getting to you!

Refua shelaima!!

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jan 25 2007, 9:44 am
we all go through that! what about erev pesach?

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Jan 25 2007, 9:55 am
I go through this at least once a week!

Sometimes we'll just pick a pizza (no shame in that)!

I always keep tortillas in the house, and if I'm too lazy to make anything else, I'll make cheese burritos:
place cheese and baked beans in a tortilla, roll it up and place it in the microwave or oven. You can serve with sour cream.

You can also make easy pizzas with the tortillas or with pitas.

Creamed corn soup (takes no time at all - just the amount of time it takes for water to boil!)
Creamed corn soup:
1 can creamed corn
4 cups water
1 or 2 eggs, mixed
thin egg noodles
chicken stock or chicken soup mix

Put water, creamed corn, and chicken consumme in a pot, boil, slowly drop eggs into the boiling water while continuously mixing, then add egg noodles.

Broil chicken cutlets and have chicken sandwiches or cut up the chicken and place in wraps with salad.

hotdogs

deli sandwiches

ShiraMiri

Post Thu, Jan 25 2007, 9:57 am
withhumor wrote:

shock

ShiraMiri

Post Thu, Jan 25 2007, 9:58 am
mumoo wrote:
Oh Marney, Marney,Marney...... why not order some Chinese Takeout? Very Happy

We do that too - but honeslty, my kids don't like Chinese (except for the chow dogs) and prefer American style food.

ShiraMiri

Post Thu, Jan 25 2007, 10:00 am
Thanks for all of the suggestions, guys!! I get stressed out when I am overwhelmed with work. Some weeks I only have 10-20 hours of work, some weeks 40. I prefer a part-time schedule, but I work as needed. Although the money helps, my sanity suffers! And so does the cooking.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen