Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Breaded gefilte fish

amother

Post Thu, Jan 25 2007, 5:24 am
does anyone here know a recipe for breaded gefilte fish loaf? I was at a shabbos table a while ago and this was served....it was the frozen gefilte fish loaf, sliced, and breaded. anyone know how to make it? do I just boil the fish loaf, let it cool, slice it, bread it, and then bake the breaded slices? do I need to dip in egg before I bread it? I've been craving this ever since I had it but have no clue how to make it. thanks!

farmom

Post Thu, Jan 25 2007, 6:04 am
I don't know if this is what you had, but my mother used to make breaded gefilte fish like this:
slice frozen gefilte fish roll (If you dip the knife in hot water, it slides right through the roll)
roll it in eggs
roll it in breadcrumbs
fry it.

Alternatively, I used to slice g. fish and bake the slices with spices on top. While it's not breaded, it was really yummy.

In general, I found that baked or fried fish was way better than boiled. Sometimes I baked the whole loaf with spices and sauce on top.

Now I live where there's no kosher food Sad Sad and I can either make my own gefilte fish Puke or clean, gut, a prepare salmon. Confused

Enjoy your frozen rolls Very Happy Wink

yOungM0mmy

Post Thu, Jan 25 2007, 8:26 am
you can also do it this way:
defrost roll, cut into slices, and just roll in breadcrumbs, then bake. it should be sticky enough that it will stick, you dont need egg.

alternatively, especially if you want to stretch it, you can defrost the roll and mix in an egg or 2, and some matza meal, then form into patties, dip in breadcrumbs and bake.

shopaholic

Post Thu, Jan 25 2007, 10:44 am
1. Defrost enough to cut into slices. Fry with or without breadcrumbs. Both are great.

2. Smear mayonaise all over the loaf & then flavored breadcrumbs. bake covered.

nehama

Post Thu, Jan 25 2007, 11:09 am
I let it defrost about 15-20 min so it's defrosted enough to slice easily, then dip in breadcrumbs and fry it.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 25 2007, 11:11 am
to the above poster.......do I have to fry it or can I just bake it?

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Thu, Jan 25 2007, 1:23 pm
momof3 wrote:

2. Smear mayonaise all over the loaf & then flavored breadcrumbs. bake covered.

this is without cutting into slices? is it good? how much breadcrumbs do you put on top? cover completely? on bottom too? thanks!

red sea

Post Thu, Jan 25 2007, 2:08 pm
I just slice, roll into corn flake crumbs and bake, comes out great.

suomynona

Post Thu, Jan 25 2007, 2:09 pm
does this freeze well?

batya_d

Post Tue, Jun 19 2007, 11:00 pm
Do you refrigerate after cooking and serve cold?

Don't the breadcrumbs get soggy?

amother

Post Wed, Jun 20 2007, 9:28 am
Easy Peezy, Slice while frozen, dip in egg and then (flavored) breadcrumbs, Bake in oven at 350 Yum
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics