Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
What is your method for making coffee on shabbos?
1  2  Next

ShiraMiri

Post Thu, Jan 25 2007, 6:17 pm
I've never made coffee on shabbos. How do you make it in a halachically permissable way.

P.S. - I don't care for instant coffee and I don't own a coffee maker with a auto timer.

Frumom

Post Thu, Jan 25 2007, 7:40 pm
What other options are there? Personally, instant is better than nothing. If you're used to stronger coffee add more.

Mommy3.5

Post Thu, Jan 25 2007, 9:59 pm
You can only use an automatic cofeemaker on Yom Tov. On shabbos it would be bishul, whether it is on a timer or not. I like Iced cofee, so I brew a pot before shabbat and put it in the fridge. If not I settle for instant.

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Fri, Jan 26 2007, 6:43 am
Hi Marney, we also prefer brewed, but we use the Israeli Elite instant coffee on Shabbos - by far the BEST instant coffee out there. Put Hot H2O in cup first then add coffee, sugar and milk!

-A Gut Shabbos!

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jan 26 2007, 9:34 am
How about brewing it beforehand and drinking it iced?

mimsy7420

Post Fri, Jan 26 2007, 9:52 am
Mommy3.5 wrote:
You can only use an automatic cofeemaker on Yom Tov. On shabbos it would be bishul, whether it is on a timer or not. I like Iced cofee, so I brew a pot before shabbat and put it in the fridge. If not I settle for instant.

We asked and were told that we can use the timer on the coffeemaker for shabbos. We asked quite a few Rabbanim actually and they all said it was fine.

greenfire

Post Fri, Jan 26 2007, 10:02 am
I put some milk out in small container so the chill comes out - and another trick is to put hot water in cup with spoon so that when you put your coffee in it is still hot. Some people do not use coffee maker cause the coffee is actually being made. There are different opinions. and yes I use a coffee maker too - but I always have a big urn and instant for those who prefer that way.

ShiraMiri

Post Fri, Jan 26 2007, 10:34 am
My husband doesn't want me to use an auto coffee make due to bishul. So, I'm not going to spend extra money on it. I bought not too long ago a great little coffee maker that works great for my purpose, but has no auto feature:

I think I'll see if I can find that Israeli Elite brand instant coffee. Maybe it's stronger and more robust than American instant coffee...

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jan 26 2007, 11:17 am
Maybe if he has a problem with it, he can ask his rov how to do t, the strictest way possible.

mimsy7420

Post Fri, Jan 26 2007, 11:46 am
It's not bishul because the coffee is already cooked.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jan 26 2007, 12:37 pm
It's allowed to do - just OP's husband doesn't want a/o to do it in their house.

ShiraMiri

Post Fri, Jan 26 2007, 1:03 pm
He does know opinions that say it is ok. He feels that the brewing process is bishul, though, so he doesn't want me to do it.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jan 26 2007, 3:56 pm
So - how do you feel about putting it on the blech, using a Thermos, or drinking it iced? If you're in a building perhaps a neighbor will give you a cup . . . or can you get a cup in shul?

I find the instant coffee is good if it's very fresh; have you tried different brands?

ShiraMiri

Post Fri, Jan 26 2007, 5:15 pm
I have had, I think it is called Taster's Choice, a long time ago. I didn't care for it. I will try to search for other brands of instant. I don't like iced coffee in the winter. I don't use a blech. I guess I am a difficult case!

Thanks for the suggestions!

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Jan 27 2007, 7:57 pm
Marney - I think DS likes Folgers, over Maxwell House. Can you try them at a friend rather than paying $10 for each jar?

Try to get the smallest jar you can, if you end up liking it . . . oh, and Folger's makes a kind of coffee in a teabag, if you want to check that out! I remember really liking it!

TzenaRena

Post Sat, Jan 27 2007, 8:28 pm
Quote:
I've never made coffee on shabbos. How do you make it in a halachically permissable way.
Pour from urn that one may use to prepare the water before Shabbos - ask your Rav - or "cheinik" "kumkum"- teakettle, which you leave on the blech from before Shabbos with already boiled hot water. Pour into first cup. this is kli sheni. (urn is kli rishon) Pour hot water into second cup - this is a kli shlishi. Add instant coffee, sugar.

I don't know if this is what you meant.

greenfire

Post Sun, Jan 28 2007, 8:41 am
Maybe investing in a good thermos isn't a bad idea - brew coffee before shabbos and leave in thermos for morning - you think it would work. I would pour hot water in before the coffee so that thermos is as hot as can be. I would also leave it somewhere warm like on counter near oven or near hot radiator or something like that.

ShiraMiri

Post Sun, Jan 28 2007, 9:12 am
Thanks to you all for your suggestions. I think I will buy a small container of instant and try it out. Otherwise, maybe I will brew a small strong container of coffee and use it like tea essence on shabbos with hot water from the urn. Maybe I will use the essence and add a bit of instant too? Why not go crazy! Smile

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jan 28 2007, 9:39 am
let us know how it goes!

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Jan 28 2007, 9:56 am
first of all, you pay almost as much for a small one as you would for a large container of coffee on sale. Smile
secondly, when making the coffee on shabbos, remember put the hot water FIRST. Usually people put coffee in the cup first. But on Shabbos you need to put the hot water first.
And I think you need to do in a kli shelishi according to some opinions.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note