Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Advice on sleep away camps for girls

anygoodadvice?

Post Mon, Dec 31 2012, 2:35 pm
I am looking to find out what camps are out there, are there any new camps opening this year and waht kind of crowd does the camp have. If anyone has any information please share!

Thanks!

amother

Post Mon, Dec 31 2012, 2:43 pm
I am also very interested in imput about this. My daughter went to a camp last year but was unhappy with the crowd. She has no idea who One Direction but everyone else was obsessed Smile I need a camp that is not jappy but where the girls don't watch tv, listen to English music etc. We are not chassidish either. Any ideas? I would prefer Catskills, I don't want to pay more $ to have to fly her somewhere!

amother

Post Mon, Dec 31 2012, 3:12 pm
My dd went to Camp Bais Yaakov for two years and loved it. The crowd is not jappy at all. No one cares about the brand of your tee shirt, you just dress tznius and neat, that's it. No TV or English music, it's a great camp for the frum BY-type girl who enjoys wholesome fun.

Chaveiros Achdus!

Chavakaye

Post Mon, Dec 31 2012, 4:14 pm
I recommend the Jewish Girls Retreat in Albany, NY. It is 3 to 3.5 weeks in the summer with about 80-100 girls from ages 8-15. The counselors are phenomenal--highly-trained, very enthusiastic and warm. It is run under the auspices of Chabad, but it is not a Chabad camp. It is also a joint project of Yaldah Media (Yaldah Magazine, YM Books). There are girls from different backgrounds--Chassidish, orthodox, and conservative, so you have to be comfortable with that. I can tell you that it really works. The dress code is whatever your parents expect you to wear at home, but most of the girls end up trading their pants for skirts. This camp is great for girls who want to avoid cliques and who love creative arts such as drama, film, writing, music, and art. The grounds are on a college campus (empty) that they rent, so it is not a lake front type. However, they take a lot of day trips for hiking, swimming, and adventures. My daughter started when she was 8 and has been going every since (age 14). Several of her friends have joined, too. You can check out the website for more information and talk to the director to see if it is a match for your daughter.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children