Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Heating Food on Shabbos

Nomad

Post Sun, Jan 28 2007, 3:31 pm
Am I allowed to put cold food (from the fridge) into a warm oven on shabbos day to heat it up? If not, what other ways are there to heat food up on shabbos day? I dont have a warmer and crock pot is small so its not really big enough to put food on top

Thanks!

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Jan 28 2007, 4:12 pm
There are many halachos involved here. Certain kinds of foods may be re-warmed in certain limited ways, because it is not considered bishul, but certain kinds may not be.

The general rule is "ein bishul achar bishul b'davar yavesh": bishul does not apply to something which has been cooked already - that is it is allowed to be warmed - with a dry food. However, it needs to be defined what is a dry food, and determined whether the food in question fits into that category.

"Yesh bishul achar bishul b'davar lach" a cooked liquid which has cooled is not allowed to be re-warmed, because that IS considered bishul, cooking.

Also a food with moisture, or wetness on it's surface cannot be re-heated. (example, challah from freezer, with frost on it's surface).

That which may be re-warmed, it is only in a special way, not by putting it directly on the blech.
For a comprehensive overview, read Laws of cooking on Shabbos, by Rabbi Nissan Dovid Dubov.

withhumor

Post Sun, Jan 28 2007, 5:59 pm
If the crock pot is small, you can balance a big pan (bekela) over it, and put your stuff into the pan. Works well for crisping the challos on shabbos morning.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jan 28 2007, 6:01 pm
I love my plata; you might want to get one. We don't eat cholent so it's perfect for us.

Ask your rov about using it halachically, though.

Nomad

Post Mon, Jan 29 2007, 8:27 am
Thanks for the tips everyone!

chocolate - whats a plata?

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Jan 29 2007, 8:34 am
Platas are the large hot plates, very popular here in Israel.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jan 29 2007, 11:11 am
it's one level of heat, also.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note