Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Crock pot liners

calaflower

Post Mon, Jan 14 2013, 2:08 pm
someone just introduced me to crockpot liners, which are amazing! I was just wondering-are they BPA free? it doesn't say so on my package, so should I assume they are not?
if anyone has any info, please let me know Smile

yidishmamma

Post Mon, Jan 14 2013, 4:39 pm
Sorry but I don't have. Answer to ur question. I wanted to know how do u make Chulent with the liners? U put water first?

lavender_dew

Post Mon, Jan 14 2013, 5:14 pm
I use the crock pot liners every week for cholent, never thought about the BPA... does it make me sound horrible that I love them so much I almost don't care if they have it or not? embarrassed

yidishmamma, here's a trick I discovered: when you put the liner in the pot, spray the bottom and sides of the liner with some cooking spray. just like the beans and little things can stick to the pot, they can also stick the liner. but if you spray it, it works perfectly. then just add everything how you normally do in your recipe.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jan 14 2013, 7:21 pm
we stopped using them b/c of that. sorry, folks.

vintagebknyc

Post Mon, Jan 14 2013, 7:41 pm
BPA? no thank you.

groisamomma

Post Mon, Jan 14 2013, 7:42 pm
I would assume it has it if it doesn't say otherwise. I suspect it has PLD, too. But the convenience outweighs these two little drawbacks, so I use it.

calaflower

Post Mon, Jan 14 2013, 8:17 pm
What's PLD? Based on your responses I guess there really is BPA in it... The main thing to consider is that it's not like you're just heating food in a microwave in a plastic plate for a few seconds. For Shabbos, the food is literally cooking in the bag for, in my case, 20 something hours...

yidishmamma

Post Mon, Jan 14 2013, 9:49 pm
lavender_dew wrote:
I use the crock pot liners every week for cholent, never thought about the BPA... does it make me sound horrible that I love them so much I almost don't care if they have it or not? embarrassed

yidishmamma, here's a trick I discovered: when you put the liner in the pot, spray the bottom and sides of the liner with some cooking spray. just like the beans and little things can stick to the pot, they can also stick the liner. but if you spray it, it works perfectly. then just add everything how you normally do in your recipe.
Ty will try it iyh

bamamama

Post Mon, Jan 14 2013, 10:10 pm
They are flexible ans BPA makes stuff hard so it's prob not BPA you have to worry about. Pthalates, likely.

I wouldn't touch the things. Our Ped says not to use plastic ever for any food (cooking and storage) if you can help it.

So many chemicals- do you really want yoir family exposed to them week after week?

MMCH

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 1:10 pm
we stopped using them after the first week there was a whole in the bag and we were eating plastic.
gross
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen