Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Pizza 3 times a week?
1  2  3  Next

SingALong

Post Mon, Jan 14 2013, 10:21 pm
My kids are super picky eaters. They hardly touch the foods I make them, even though I made a list of food with each kid, based on what they like. But they still don't eat much. As of now they eat pizza twice a week. Dd asked for pizza every day. So I'm thinking of maybe serving pizza another day, totally 3 times a week. Is that unhealthy? I do give salad with pizza so at least they get veggies. Wwyd? If they don't like supper they don't eat, so at least pizza is calories.

spring13

Post Mon, Jan 14 2013, 10:25 pm
Use whole wheat crust, sneak extra veggies into the sauce.

shiffycc

Post Mon, Jan 14 2013, 10:31 pm
Personally, I make a pizza with whole wheat flour. There's sauce on it and cheese(im not particularly worried about their fat intake). If they eat salad with it that sounds about perfect to me.
anybody whose kids eat chicken or meatballs every night for supper will say its not really healthy, but those of us who strugle with our kids diets have to choose our battles.

melalyse

Post Mon, Jan 14 2013, 10:32 pm
My kids probably have pizza 5 days a week. My ped says that it has all the food groups - I shouldn't worry.

Fabulous

Post Mon, Jan 14 2013, 10:35 pm
shiffycc wrote:
Personally, I make a pizza with whole wheat flour. There's sauce on it and cheese(im not particularly worried about their fat intake). If they eat salad with it that sounds about perfect to me.
anybody whose kids eat chicken or meatballs every night for supper will say its not really healthy, but those of us who strugle with our kids diets have to choose our battles.

what she said. Bli ayin hara ds USUALLY likes protein like chicken and meatballs etc... but if he wouldn't, I would see this as an option.

Reesa

Post Mon, Jan 14 2013, 10:37 pm
perfectly acceptable. It's no worse than macaroni and cheese or grilled cheese or other quick, kid friendly dinners. If your kids fill their tummies with pizza, they will be just fine!!

etky

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 12:13 am
Reesa wrote:
perfectly acceptable. It's no worse than macaroni and cheese or grilled cheese or other quick, kid friendly dinners. If your kids fill their tummies with pizza, they will be just fine!!

It's actually much better because of the tomato sauce which has lycopene and other nutrients. And if you can make the crust ww and sneak some veggies into the sauce it's practically health food (obviously not for anyone with a weight or cholesterol problem though). I have picky eaters too (also DH) ...

spring13

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 12:53 am
Btw, be smart about what sauce you use too. I bought a jar of a heimish brand of marinara for Pesach and was practically gagging on it. Then when I compared it to a jar of Barilla sauce, I realized why: the 2nd ingredient in the heimish one was sugar. It was loaded with junk rather than actual flavor.

So yeah, if your kids are eating the stuff every night, pay attention to the quality of your ingredients.

Isramom8

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 1:32 am
You mean from the pizza shop, right? Or do you mean frozen? It didn't sound like you're making it from scratch.

I think it's not terrible. Add milk and some veggies or fruit.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 1:57 am
My dc are the same. I don't pizza is enough. From where I come from you have to include protein like fish or meat. I tried a lot of food from this site or cook books and found some stuff each like so I freeze some and make fresh. But it still a struggle. I'm trying new stuff this week.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 2:13 am
I'll be the voice of dissent here. I think pizza is junk food. It's very American to eat pizza as a regular meal. It is CERTAINLY by no means a health food! We have it probably about 5 times a year.

ray family

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 3:30 am
while I don't think pizza is junk food I wouldn't feed it to my kids every night. on the other hand if my kids refused to eat anything else than than I would serve it to them. Ideally I would make my own w/ (white) ww flour. I would let them make their own and put out some veg. for them to use as toppings. I would continue to introduce other foods bec. you do want to develop as taste for other foods. plus the kids who are willing to eat foods other than pizza should rather be eating something a bit more nutritious.

Raisin

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 3:49 am
I make my own dough and my own sauce ( just add water and spices to tomato puree). But still, I would avoid serving it too much. Its good for kids to be exposed to a variety of food and it is so easy to fall into the trap of making the same food over and over. I have fussy kids too and if they don't like what I am making they can have a peanut butter sandwich - but you know what - slowly even my fussiest kid is eating foods that he never used to.

even if you do make pizza have some other food available - eg whatever you are making for you and dh.

StrongIma

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 3:54 am
I'll echo Raisin and add that I urge them to have "just a taste" (lit. - about half a teaspoon) of something else - often they discover they could even like it and eat it too. if not, I accept that as well - that's ok too. I try to switch off between their fav's and other (less fav') options at mealtime.

shalhevet

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 4:18 am
Are you buying all/ part of it ready made?

If you make it yourself it is a healthy, balanced meal - ww dough is no different to ww bread, nothing wrong with tomato puree and spices, yellow cheese has protein and calcium (presuming we are talking about children without weight problems), fresh veggies like tomatoes or onion etc are the best and canned olives or mushrooms have nothing with them.

In Israel I don't use (or see) these ready made sauces - I could imagine they are full of sugar and/or preservatives. Make your own from tomato puree without any additives.

etky

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 4:20 am
I also make my own dough with part ww flour and a simple sauce (like Raisin's) and use good cheese for topping. It certainly is not junk food. Hard yellow cheese has as much protein as meat ounce for ounce and a huge amount of calcium. Yes, it is high in sodium and saturated fat. So are many other foods. Pizza (unless you use low-fat cheese) is not a food for weight watchers or people on a low sodium or low cholesterol diet. As for variety - well, recently there was a thread about picky eaters. Bottom line - there's regular picky and hard core picky, usually kids with attendant sensory and other issues. If a really picky kid is willing to eat pizza, even 3 times a week, then I say give it to him with a clear conscience and limit his/her fat intake from other foods on those days. I have one kid who won't even eat pizza.

Tablepoetry

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 5:30 am
LOL, etky. I have TWO kids who won't eat pizza. Well, one will eat it but with NO SAUCE. And the other won't touch it all.
I don't think pizza is healthy food. Sorry. But with challenging, super-picky kids, sometimes you have no choice. I have kids who will eat anything, all the healthy stuff, and I have two kids who subsist on white pasta/white rice/white rolls with chocolate spread/corn schnitzel. Oh, and cucumbers. Thank heavens for that. So I would welcome pizza!

ven

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 5:53 am
I also consider pizza junk food would not even serve it once a week , but that said im very old fashioned , kids eat what I cook or they dont , and yes when they dont wanna eat they go to bed hungry

etky

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 6:15 am
Tablepoetry wrote:
LOL, etky. I have TWO kids who won't eat pizza. Well, one will eat it but with NO SAUCE. And the other won't touch it all.
I don't think pizza is healthy food. Sorry. But with challenging, super-picky kids, sometimes you have no choice. I have kids who will eat anything, all the healthy stuff, and I have two kids who subsist on white pasta/white rice/white rolls with chocolate spread/corn schnitzel. Oh, and cucumbers. Thank heavens for that. So I would welcome pizza!

I thought mine was the only kid on the planet. Ha-levay he would eat cucumbers or any vegetable (even corn, which is not really a vegetable) for that matter!
I have one good eater (takes after me) and she saves my sanity.

ElTam

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 2:55 pm
Make it at home so it's healthier. My ped suggests mixing pureed veges into the sauce, like acorn squash, etc. for extra nutrition.

I will tell you what I started recently with my picky kids because they were honestly ruining dinner for me and I couldn't take it any more. It has really been helping. We have a menu. It's the same every week. There are some things they like, some things they don't like. The meals are very kid friendly. I'm not asking them to eat fried tilapia and lima beans.And I alternated meals they like more with meals they like less. So if Monday is grilled cheese and a veggie, which DD2 doesn't love, Tuesday is pancakes, veggie sausage and fruit, which she loves.

There is that night's dinner and nothing else. No bowl of cereal. No make yourself a sandwich. If you don't want to eat, you get ready for bed and you can lay down and read. Any extra fun time after dinner is lost. There is also no whining and no complaining allowed. You whine or complain about dinner, you go to bed. Each week it has gotten better. After the second week, when they saw we were serious, no one has gone to bed without eating. And dinner time is actually a pleasure again. We sit, we talk about our day. No yelling, no kvetching.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics