Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Computers in the Classroom

chanadownunda

Post Tue, Jan 30 2007, 12:32 am
Do you think it's a Chassidish and/or educational tool? Or just a waste of time & exposing children to a potentially harmful experience.

I refer to young children (4 or 5).

I already have certain rules of thumb that (for me) go without saying:

1) NO INTERNET

2) Computer given just as much attention as any other activity in classroom (ie. painting, blocks, alef bais game)

3) Only useful activities available on the computer (ie. drawing, alef bais games, educational interactive games that build knowledge, hand-eye coordination, and other skills)

4) No time wasting or silly games ever!

So, I've heard some people say that it's very good, showing children the positive aspects of technology. I've heard some say it's not good because it exposes the children to the computer so they will be used to it and therefore (theoretically) more capable of making trouble with it.

But to this I answer, if you keep them away from it altogether, eventually they will find it on their own, and if they haven't been shown a positive way of using it, they may have a stronger Yeitzer Horo to use it wrongly.

What do you think?

Imaonwheels

Post Tue, Jan 30 2007, 9:11 am
I strongly recommend (I've consulted to schools on this) withholding the computer from the child's use until his reading is firmly established. I mean that he read fluently and effortlessly. For boys in cheder I would wait until around 9. If you have a computer in the house anyway you could once a week or so show a very worthwhile videobut they don't make them for the age you are talking about. The computer is addicting. In Israel they call it the charedi television or charedi babysitter. Contrary to what some may tell you growing up w/o using a computer will not make a child frightful of technology or make it difficult for him.

Please do not ever use the computer to occupy the child instead of relating to them. It is like giving a baby cough syrup to make him drousy so you can sleep. Using the addicting affects of the games and videos to buy your own quiet. The youngest kid smells it quickly.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jan 30 2007, 9:31 am
I would say it's ok with a good parental filter, not for a long time and in a room where it is supervised. As for age, I don't know... I would probably wait until I'm sure they have started loving books and won't just stop reading c'v. So many kids don't read today, even in Jewish families, a horror.

chanadownunda

Post Tue, Jan 30 2007, 7:40 pm
Thank you Imaonwheels, but I never had any intention to use it as a babysitter or time occupier. Only to use it for the good that it can do. A computer has many advantages that you can use out positively. For example: you can have children draw (with paint for example) Alef bais letters and then change them to all different colours. There are some great children's educational games out there that can be incorporated into a school program. I don't refer to letting kids "play" on the computer during breaks or recess, just for fun. As I said, I intend for the computer to be viewed as another interesting activity available during classroom activity time.
I agree with you that there is no harm in not introducing children to the computer until later, but I do feel that if Hashem created something positive in the world, there is no reason not to use it for holiness.

MMEC123

Post Tue, Jan 30 2007, 8:39 pm
Especially children as young as 4 or 5 need social interaction. At that stage that is one of the most (if not the most) important "topic" to be covered in school. There are plenty of years ahead of them where they will be sitting at computers and doing desk-work, let this age and stage be the time for everything else!

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jan 31 2007, 10:45 am
I think there's a "way" to do it properly.

ny21

Post Wed, Jan 31 2007, 10:52 am
what is a good parental filter to buy?

Imaonwheels

Post Wed, Feb 07 2007, 12:28 am
I recommend usually that a computer meant for children have on it Office and a graphics program that is easy to learn. There should be availability for both vector and pixel graphics. A child too young to appreciate these programs will not benefit from a computer. They should not be in the classroom at all.

If a school has a separate computer room where kids can do guided work or to get remedial help that would be a benefit for jr hi/yeshiva ketana and above.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics