Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Do you buy clothes on ebay?
1  2  Next

spring13

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 9:14 pm
I'm considering opening an ebay store, and am wondering about your buying habits there. If you have an opinion about shopping for used or new clothing on ebay, let me have it!

Do you look only for certain items or brands?
Do you expect prices to be within a certain range?
What measurements or other info would help you decide whether something was worth buying?
Do you bid in auctions or stick to buy it now or listed items?
If you don't shop there now, what might induce you to give it a try?

TIA!

cbsmommy

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 9:31 pm
spring13 wrote:
I'm considering opening an ebay store, and am wondering about your buying habits there. If you have an opinion about shopping for used or new clothing on ebay, let me have it!

Do you look only for certain items or brands?
Do you expect prices to be within a certain range?
What measurements or other info would help you decide whether something was worth buying?
Do you bid in auctions or stick to buy it now or listed items?
If you don't shop there now, what might induce you to give it a try?

TIA!

Are you thinking new items? Gently used items? Kids clothes? Adults?

I buy my children their clothes almost entirely online. I've found that a NWOT Shabbos dress on ebay from Rare Editions is about $15. In store, that same exact dress is $55 (plus the shlep to the store, tax, etc).

Breaking this down.
1) Yes. I specifically search for certain brands because I know that I've had good luck (and know the current sizing) for them
2) I expect prices to be a certain range. I'm willing to buy something online on ebay if it's lower than the store price. My big pet peeve is that I get very aggravated by people who try to sell designer items for designer prices but without pictures, a return policy (VITAL), and exact measurements.
3) Both. Totally depends on the item.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 9:34 pm
I look for specific sizes, colors, I do ask for measurements especially for girls/womens to make sure it's tzniusdik (I usually can figure out what size pants my boys wear), if things have slits, please mark your a smoke free home as half the time I don't bother asking and just ignore an auction if it doesn't mention it....I include shipping in my budget, so if I want to spend $10 on something, I subtract shipping. If the store has a few things I want, I suspect I can get combined shipping and that helps immensely...which reminds me, I need to start looking out for appropriate spring/summer dress(es) for my oldest girl for Pesach.

mommy of boys

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 9:38 pm
I find that in order for something to sell on E-bay it needs to be either brand name or a rock bottom price.
Dont try to sell a kids shirt from ?never heard of that name brand? for $20.
Why would anyone buy it ??? (unless its gorgeous)
e-bay is for buying cheap or cheaper!!
here and there you'll find a crazy person buying a brand name item for full price but usually it only sells if its a great price for that item.

Good Luck!

amother

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 10:05 pm
I buy my baby's clothing on eBay used. I don't buy used clothing for my older kids, but it seems pointless to spend money on a baby who outgrows his clothes so quickly. I don't like spending so much money on regular items, but I would spend more money on designer clothing.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 10:08 pm
amother wrote:
I buy my baby's clothing on eBay used. I don't buy used clothing for my older kids, but it seems pointless to spend money on a baby who outgrows his clothes so quickly. I don't like spending so much money on regular items, but I would spend more money on designer clothing.

To be more specific, I try not to spend more than $2 per article of clothing, and that takes into account shipping costs.

Merrymom

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 11:02 pm
Of course, I like expensive clothing and don't like having to pay an arm and a leg for it.

I just want to mention that you really can tell something about the seller based upon the photos. I analyze everything, from whether something is wrinkled at all, to the specks on the carpet, to anything that tells me this isn't a clean home. Price isn't the only thing that I take into account, I care very much about the condition of the items.

cm

Post Tue, Jan 15 2013, 11:25 pm
I only buy high-quality brands with consistent sizing such as Rare Editions dresses or Rothschild coats, that can be had for a deep discount on ebay (or at a discount store, if they are available) compared to a regular store.

I only buy from smoke-free pet-free sellers, who respond promptly and completely to product questions. Actual garment measurements (not just size charts) are essential - if I don't know the back length from neck to hem, for example, I won't buy the dress. Clear, high quality photos of all aspects of the garment are essential. If I ask for additional photos - please send them. I don't mind restrictive return policies if I can be assured in advance of exactly what I am getting.

Buy-it-now is a nice touch; I'm not interested in the competitive aspect of auction shopping, and I don't like to have to follow bids and wait for days before ordering. For auctions, I set a budget and stick to it. If someone else wins, so be it.

I very rarely purchase used clothing, and have had mixed results. Dressy coats for girls are typically gently worn, and are usually ok. I prefer new-with-tags for girls' dresses and adults' clothing.

Good luck with your new business, and I hope this helps!

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 2:02 am
Pretty much everything I own is from Ebay or from thrift stores. I have a very particular look that I like, and I have the best luck online.

I love auctions, don't care so much for Buy it Now unless it's a real deal.
I will pay more for anything embroidered, beaded or velvet.
Jackets - PLEASE give the measurements from shoulder to shoulder!
Give exact measurements as well as sizes, because Juniors and Womens run very differently.
Put the size in the title description! This is a huge pet peeve of mine.
Mention fiber content, I'm very allergic to wool, even if it's a small percentage of the blend.
For dresses, give the measurement from waist to hip, not just from shoulder to hip. It makes a difference.
Use the right size dress form to display clothing. Size 12 clothing looks horrible on a size 6 dress form. Please do not photograph them laying on a bedspread, or on a wire hanger. It makes the clothing look cheap.

If you have any Naot shoes in size 39, PM me before you list! Wink

ewa-jo

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 2:23 am
I buy a lot of stuff on ebay, including clothes.

I had an ebay store selling clothing a few years ago. I stopped because my supplier could not get more stuff.

I only buy name-brand items... mostly because ebay is soooo swamped with stuff that I wouldn't have time to sort through the billions of lists for 'ladies sweater size small' so I would only do a search for a brand name of sweater. Also, most people won't take a risk on something totally unknown... I would buy a sweater from the Gap because I know it's good quality and that it fits ok. I think most people search for things by brand name.

As far as selling clothing, list all the possible measurements there are... and also fabric content. I also added a disclaimer sentence that said something like 'all clothing brands cut their clothes in different ways, don't rely on the number on the size tag to determine if it will fit you, please look at the measurements' Also, describe the colors as best as you can (also a disclaimer sentence about how shades of colors would look different on different people's computer screens)

A lot of people just won't buy clothes on ebay because they need to try things on.... if you are OK with offering returns, you will get more customers *BUT* I never offered returns because it is a huge pain the tushy. If you let people be picky, they will be... and you will lose money.

What else? Buy a mannequin to display clothes... it looks much nicer than on a hanger.

And I'm sure you know this already, but I will say it again for anyone who wants to sell things on ebay.... you will sell your items if they are CHEAPER THAN EVERYONE ELSE!!!!

The best thing is to offer a buy-it-now price only... unless you have some hot item that will get lots of attention. Most people like to press one button and then pay and be done with it... it's annoying if you have to wait for a few days for an auction to end and keep checking back to make sure nobody outbid you. Also, as a seller, you will get paid much quicker if you offer buy-it-now.

People shop on ebay to get a bargain. If you can't offer a great price, then your listings will sit and sit and sit.

Also, you can search past listings to see if whatever you want to sell is something that has a demand or not.... if no one is interested in whatever you're selling, then it's a waste of time to make the most beautiful listings and offer the best prices.

Amital

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 3:43 am
Lots are good, especially for kids. Unless I have a very specific need, I only look at lots. Kids go through so many clothes that it's silly to buy them one at a time and pay individual shipping. If you have a store and combine shipping, or do a make-your-own-lot type, that would be good, too.

I would also add to list the item correctly - fill in size, color, length, etc. I search often for something specific, using the Ebay search form. I don't get results from things that aren't listed using those criteria, but I can't be bothered to look through the gazillions of listings for a skirt when I'm looking for something specific.

Culturedpearls

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 4:26 am
I buy almost all my girls clothing including tights, on eBay . Only brand new & brand name/ designer clothing. I love French designer labels which are a bargain on eBay. I also love Gymboree tights.
For myself I also search under specific brands which I know to be a good cut.
Always include lots of pictures. I love when the seller puts a bit of a personal story in the description too.
I also check feedback.

Barbara

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 4:37 am
I buy on ebay, but only when items are a true bargain -- generally less than 50% of what I could purchase the item for elsewhere, to make up for the risk that I won't like it in person.

For myself, I buy only name brand items whose fit I am familiar with.

When DS was younger, I kept an eye out for gently used dress clothing, particularly after x-mas and Easter (when kids may have worn the clothing once).

Always be very specific with item descriptions. Don't say it's wool if it's not; don't say it's flawless if there is even a slight flaw. Measurements are nice but again, be accurate.

shirtsandskirts

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 6:38 am
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

To be more specific, I try not to spend more than $2 per article of clothing, and that takes into account shipping costs.

Hijacking here, but how do you get for $2. Is there a particular season or seller? I usually find for $4 as the cheapest and then if its a lot there are a few thigs that aren't good which ups the price of the rest

MrsButterfly

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 6:53 am
I buy clothes on eBay.

I usually only use the "Buy it Now" feature if it's clothes. I only use the bidding option for electronics, antique or something I've been dying to get and can't find anywhere else.

I DON'T care for brand name clothes at all, whatsoever.

I am more likely to buy a clothing item if the exact measurements are in the description.

The most important thing for me with clothing items on eBay is the title. Actually, the title is important. Whether or not people find your item depends on it. It should be as descriptive as possible.

Mostly, I buy clothes on eBay that I can't find elsewhere. Such as vintage clothes or ones that went out of style either recently or a while ago. And obviously if it isn't expensive.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 10:10 am
I got a book on kindle free the other night about selling on ebay.

He had a good point about return policies: If you offer returns if the buyer pays return shipping you have not lost out on anything and it attracts a larger audience.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 10:36 am
Unless the item is super-beautiful, I stick with brand names on ebay.

I like BIN better than waiting for an auction that might end when I'm sleeping.

I like emailing sellers and offering a few dollars less than the BIN price; most accept or meet me somewhere in the middle!

amother

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 10:37 am
As an ebay buyer and seller, for many years, I am amazed at how unpredictable it is. I put up things for twice the price it sells for retail locally, and I mostlly sell new items. It can sit on ebay for a year or a week, you never know. I have sold worldwide. I have no idea why someone from New Zealand wants to buy and pay for a little chatchka that I am sure can be found all over.
I once had an old dress that was nothing amazing, it sold instantly to someone from England for the price I asked. To me it was a piece of garbage.
I have not found baby items worth buying on ebay. For baby gifts nothing beats department store sales and coupons. I can buy a beautiful baby stretchie brand new for $4-5 so why bother searching on ebay?
Best bargain department stores are JCP, Macy's, Kmart, Sears, Walmart, Kohl's, and sometimes Ralph Lauren or other specialty sites if I want to spend $10-15.

wispalover

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 11:47 am
I buy and sell too... and I sell my books on Amazon.

I sell (and bought) a lot of my old maternity clothes because I am plus size and for some reason there is a lack of quality plus size maternity clothing in particular so the items are usually hot items.

I sell my childrens' clothing in lots, and I buy in lots too. I particularly like to buy lots which include NWT clothing because then I might have some gifts as well for a low price.

When I started selling my biggest problem was not taking into account ebay fees and then shipping fees as well, so the trick is to price shipping for a tiny bit higher than it will cost you to account for the ebay fees (say you flat ship in a USPS small box for $5.10 or whatever it is now, I would put shipping at around $7-8 to allow for ebay fees as well).

ETA: I do all my items auction style, and I always start the bidding at 0.99. This way I always get more offers than starting at $5.00. I have done exactly one BIN price and that was for a really high end item I was selling.

MimiMommy

Post Wed, Jan 16 2013, 12:01 pm
For me, free shipping is a big consideration! I usually filter out items by "free shipping only".
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics