Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
How to wash a sheitel?

aquad

Post Sun, Jan 20 2013, 8:51 pm
So I want to wash my own sheitel to save the money. I'm pretty good with a hair dryer, so I think it should be fine. I've watched the "Ask Chavi" videos. Two questions: do I let the wig dry on a towel, or on the wig head? And do I need to wait for it to fully dry before using the hair dryer?
Thanks!

Fabulous

Post Sun, Jan 20 2013, 8:53 pm
I let it dry on the head so that it keeps the shape. I would just change heads after it an hour or two so that the head it's sitting on is not wet.

I also wait till it's almost dry to start blowing.

aquad

Post Sun, Jan 20 2013, 8:54 pm
I have an open weft sheitel, if that changes the answer.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Jan 20 2013, 10:06 pm
try this kind of head
http://www.paulayoung.com/prod.....earch

Last edited by amother on Sun, Jan 12 2020, 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total

fromnj

Post Thu, Jan 24 2013, 8:13 pm
My friend (an awesome sheitel macher) has a Facebook page that give instructions on how to wash your own.
https://www.facebook.com/wigipediapage

sweetpotato

Post Thu, Jan 24 2013, 9:54 pm
I wash my sheitel (I'm by no means an expert, though, and I wear my sheitel straight and pretty "natural" so I don't try to curl it or blow out in any special way. It dries mostly straight on its own and is pretty low maintenance). After washing, I wring out the water gently, and then lay it flat (folded along the part) on a towel on the floor or a table. I roll up the towel and gently press on the sheitel for a few minutes to get out excess water. The I put it on the head and comb the hair completely straight. I let it dry overnight, and it dries pretty straight and smooth. If it's a little damp in the morning, I use a cool hair dryer (sometimes the cap is a bit damp, but it dries quickly). This has worked OK for me so far-- I'd rather take it in the get it washed, but no sheitel machers where I am right now! A friend who always washes her own sheitels showed me how to do this.

wife2

Post Thu, Jan 24 2013, 11:48 pm
I would not do it on your own sheitel until you watch someone professional show you how to do it or until you practice on another sheitel that you aren't worried about.
you let the sheitel dry on the head so it doesnt lose its shape.
some sheitels dry nicely, others don't and you really need to blowdry and style it carefully.
I find that the washing itself is not hard, just the blowdrying/styling.
you should not blowdry it until it is mostly dry

Freshwigs

Post Wed, Feb 20 2013, 5:05 am
You should try "Fresh Wigs" my husband is a sheitel styler and just created this product recently which is incredible b"H. It allows you to wash, dry and style your sheitel easily at home.

noosheen

Post Sun, Sep 02 2018, 9:44 am
I know this is an old thread but really need my sheitel washed/styled b4 Yom Tov and everyone is booked.
Would love to do this on my own and don’t know why I just can’t. Washing I find easy - it’s the styling that always ends up looking wrong.
Any tips? Products that are a must have?
What is this Fresh Wigs? Is that still around??

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 02 2018, 9:52 am
noosheen wrote:
I know this is an old thread but really need my sheitel washed/styled b4 Yom Tov and everyone is booked.
Would love to do this on my own and don’t know why I just can’t. Washing I find easy - it’s the styling that always ends up looking wrong.

I can't for the life of me style wigs either.
In your situation, I'd do my best to restyle the wig and not wash it. Use different accessories or hair spray to help if needed.
Once I wash it it's unwearable without processional styling. Even though I know how to wash it professionally, I don't know how to blow dry it to look good.

momX4

Post Sun, Sep 02 2018, 12:39 pm
noosheen wrote:

Where do you live?

I live in Monsey and found someone new
She did an amazing job for way cheaper.

MiriFr

Post Sun, Sep 02 2018, 12:44 pm
Comb out all knots.
Rub Paul Mitchell super skinny serum throughout the mid shaft and ends. DONT PUT ANY PRODUCT IN THE CAP. Rinse quickly under warm water.
Lather shampoo, start on ends and work up to bangs. Keep thumb on part so it doesn't change under the water. Rinse out well, and use a washing brush to brush the wig under the water to move the shampoo out. If wig is dirty (full of hair spray or sticky) sprinkle baking soda, shampoo and rinse out again. If smells weird, a drop of vinegar, shampoo and rinse.
Then condition the ends and mid shaft. Try to stay away from cap and bangs. Connor brush through to make sure no knots and no conditioner is left.
Wrap in towel for a bit, and let air dry on head.
Do NOT blow dry a wet wig. U can below dry if it's 95% dry.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels