Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
What do I eat with a non-dairy diet?

amother

Post Tue, Jan 30 2007, 5:15 pm
I recently found out I have to cut dairy out of my diet. I have NO idea what to eat. Peanit butter, tofu, fish, meat...what else? I am pressed for time and can't start getting so creative, and am BH expecting so I need to eat quite frequently. Any ideas? Breakfast, lunch dinner?

timeout

Post Tue, Jan 30 2007, 5:37 pm
breakfast how bout parave waffles or pancakes
lunch salad (fruit or veg) peanut butter sandwich fish fleishigs
supper chicken/meat

there are endless ideas for non dairy I was on that diet when nursing my son it was very hard at teh begining but once you get used to it .....

red sea

Post Tue, Jan 30 2007, 5:37 pm
What do you usually eat thats dairy? Most things have a fake replacement.

Raisin

Post Tue, Jan 30 2007, 6:00 pm
Do you like soy milk? (or rice or oat milk?) you can have that with cereal, or make smoothies

Are you asking for calcium replacements or protein replacements?

Protein: meat, chicken, tofu, beans, chickpeas (canned ones are quick and easy, if you fry an onion, add a drained can of beans and mash slightly it is very good) vegetarian burgers/schnitzle, eggs, nuts.

I think almonds have lots of calcium, but maybe it is another nut.

Be warned things like toffuti cream cheese are supposed to be really unhealthy (my local health food store stopped selling it because they said it is full of hydrogonated fat)

marroon

Post Wed, Jan 31 2007, 4:05 am
Soy milk is high in calcium, and isn't as scary as it sounds. you can have it w/ cereal.

Almonds are a good source of calcium, as are green leafy veggies.
Nuts in general have iron too. There's a thing advertised on this site called "almondie" which looks pretty good.

Try legumes-- they can be extremely healthy and are full of protien too. Split pea soup (w/ split peas, onion, garlic, carrots, potatoes, and spices)
Lentils are VERY healthy- try this delicious soup w/ red lentils:
Cook carrots, celery, zuchinni, onion (add whatever you want), then add red lentils and cook some more till soft. You can blend the whole thing or eat as is. it can be a whole meal.

Try getting ahold of quinoa--a grain/seed type thingy that actually has protein in it, is very healthy. cook it like rice, add veggies or eat it w/ meat balls, etc.

Also, take a calcium supplement. I didn't, my baby's 4 months old and the dentist just told me my teeth are in baaaaaaad shape, tons of decay. I'm pretty sure it has to do w/ pregnancy, calcium loss, etc.

good luck!

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jan 31 2007, 9:46 am
I take lactaids now but I didn't always. and I didn't believe in fake food, either.

of course I was young and thinner and ate more carbs then - bagels with jam. tuna sandwiches. and for dinner, more pasta and veggie sauces.

greenfire

Post Wed, Jan 31 2007, 10:36 am
Is it cause the milk products bother your stomach - they make a fair variety of soy milks today - find the one that suits your taste best and go for it.

MOM222

Post Wed, Jan 31 2007, 7:58 pm
falafel,
polish pizza (pizza w/o cheese),

HooRYou

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 4:34 am
Tehina!!

Not the salad the plain ground sesame seeds. I also can't eat dairy and while soy or other non-dairy milks are great for baking or mixing in you cofee or cereal I wouldn't just drink a glass of the stuff.

In general sesame seeds (and therefore, tehina) are very healthy and full of iron and calcium. I like it plain, but you cna make it into yummy dressings and sauces for salads, veggies and just about anything else.

cheerios

Post Thu, Feb 15 2007, 12:41 pm
I was also just put on a milk free diet for my baby. It was very hard in the beginning, but I'm getting used to it. My typical day is:
Breakfast - cereal with soymilk (sometimes oatmeal, oatbran or granola)
Lunch - either tuna, eggs or pb on a sandwich
Supper - fish, chicken or meat (or tofu - when I'm in the mood) with a veg. side dish, sometimes soup, or rice, or quinoa...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen