Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Explaining frum/not frum to 4 yo

MimiMommy

Post Mon, Jan 21 2013, 6:13 pm
4 yo DD asks questions here and there, usually on Shabbos when she sees people driving, "how come they're not keeping Shabbos?"
one time I explained that a lot of these people aren't Jewish and so Hashem didn't ask them to keep Shabbos. I don't want to say they're all not Jewish, so now she asks about Jewish people that don't keep Shabbos/other things. We have a lot of non-frum relatives and DD is starting to notice that the adult women wear pants, etc., while she doesn't. How can I explain to her why they do certain things while maintaining her respect for them, and pride in the mitzvos we keep?

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Jan 21 2013, 6:16 pm
"you're so lucky that your mom and dad can teach you about the torah and mitzvos. some people's moms and dads couldn't when they were kids, so they don't really understand about keeping mitzvos."

make sure to tell her that it would be chutzpadik for her to point out any halachic issues to her non-frum relatives.

cm

Post Mon, Jan 21 2013, 6:27 pm
We have a Jewishly diverse family as well. "Grandma and Grandpa observe Shabbat differently than we do," for example, worked at that age.

Some imamothers will think that this approach makes it sound too-ok to do things "differently" - but we prefer to focus on the positive aspects and preserve strong family ties.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics