Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Beis Yaakov/ what does this mean

avigayil

Post Thu, May 05 2005, 11:45 pm
I have heard the expression 'Beis Yaakov frum' used quite a bit.

There are none in our city and I am at a loss for what this means.
I am in Philadelphia and frumkeit is still taking off.
Can you please fill me in on any Beis Yaakov expreiences you may have?

proudmom

Post Fri, May 06 2005, 1:38 pm
I have been to beth yaakov and I was really happy there.

Motek

Post Fri, May 06 2005, 3:51 pm
avigayil wrote:
I have heard the expression 'Beis Yaakov frum' used quite a bit.

I haven't heard that expression per se, though I have heard Beis Yaakov used to describe a standard of frumkeit.

there are hundreds of schools that use the name "Beis Yaakov" and by using it, they are aligning themselves with what is called the "yeshiva world" or the "chareidi world". The people that the staff and parents look up to, their "gedolim," are graduates of "black hat" yeshivos and/or Chasidic leaders.

proudmom

Post Tue, Jun 28 2005, 9:32 pm
in the beis yaakov I went to there was a lot of different types of people from all over.

supermom

Post Wed, Jun 29 2005, 6:25 am
here in israel beis yaakov frum means to say the way you dress, act and everything. they dress for example in and out of school. only button down shirts, nude socks, mostly mid calf skirts but some times long but defintly not dragging the floor. their shoes also have to be a certain way. hair and etc. understand? did I make myself clear?

queen

Post Wed, Jun 29 2005, 8:18 am
supermom wrote:
here in israel beis yaakov frum means......

Supermom- Bais Yaakov in Israel is a LOOOOOOOOOT more right wing than within America.

American BY girls wear tights OR socks, button down shirts OR long sleeve Tshirts and skirts from the knee on down at various lengths....

Those BY girls who occasionally (however rarely) DO wear long skirts down to the floor--- an open invitation to come sweep my floor anytime!

timeout

Post Wed, Jun 29 2005, 9:45 am
Compared to Philadelphia Beis Yaakov is alot frumer definitely on the outside for the school as a whole and the rules and regulations that go with it.

Philadelphia does not have papers you have to sign about TV, internet and where you're going for the summer, they will also not kick u out if you are seen on the street wearing bobby socks or if the mother of the child is wearing to long of a sheital .

I graduated from Hebrew Academy in Philly and the most important value I came out with is how we act twords others respecting elders and the beauty of Yiddishekeit.

Beis Yaakovs' tend to be extremely frum but more stringent on rules.

With Philadelphia you will always come out with the out of town qualitys that you can't get anywhere else Very Happy

Pearl

Post Wed, Jun 29 2005, 10:02 am
Quote:
queen wrote:
Those BY girls who occasionally (however rarely) DO wear long skirts down to the floor--- an open invitation to come sweep my floor anytime!

LOL!

shira

Post Wed, Jun 29 2005, 2:20 pm
Tova-
I went to Torah Academy in Phila. and I would say that its comparable to an "out of town" Bais Yaakov, wouldn't you?

timeout

Post Sun, Jul 03 2005, 1:54 pm
Shira.............

I went to Torah Academy to for one year and compared to the rules and regulations that are put on the girls (Boro Park) that is it doesn't even strt to compare.

I remember in Philly the girls in TA were extremely educated most were going to college and it was definitely normal for 50% of the school to talk to boys in the community just as friends.

I'm not saying this as bad and maybe it's changed but I have seen graduates lately and they're still wonderful and highly educated girls with an out of town warmth and honesty:D
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics