Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Question about lubavitch
1  2  Next

motheroftwo

Post Sat, May 07 2005, 10:52 pm
I was always curious about something.
I think (please correct me if I'm wrong) that lubavitch chassidus is the only chassidus that doesn't speak yiddish. Why is that so?

amother

Post Sun, May 08 2005, 12:58 am
Why, it's in hebrew?? I dont understand what you are asking??
Many sichas of the rebbe are in Yiddish!

Tefila

Post Sun, May 08 2005, 1:02 am
Motheroftwo I do believe the Lubavitcher Rebbe spoke in Yiddish and gave his discourses in them too! Also all his works were originaly put together in Yiddish and only translated later on for the individuals who wouldn't understand. Plus all the Lubavitch schools at the begining spoke yiddish, and there are still lots that do! Lubavitch attracts lots of Baalai Teshuvahs (from what I heard and know Wink ).
So they try to be consumer friendly w/hout lowering their standards, by educating in almost every language. Wherever there is coca cola there is Lubavitch. Some who try to run from religion to go elsewhere end up being found, or sought by Lubavitch. Does that basically answer your question!

cc

Post Sun, May 08 2005, 3:44 am
there are lots of lubavitchers who speak yiddish- just not exclusively and only yiddish like other chassidim. I think maybe it has to do with,like freilich said, that lubavitch works w/ BT and encouraging others to do more mitzvos-and when you are constantly working w/ people who dont speak yiddish, shopping in american stores, working in english speaking environments then you start speaking other languages.
as opposed to growing up in Boro park, shopping there, schooling there, marrying etc. all in the same environment w/o having to associate w/ other languages or people.

Chanie

Post Sun, May 08 2005, 10:01 pm
Lubavitch as a rule, does speak Yiddish. Most of my friends spoke only yiddish as children at home. In my house we spoke English because my mother didn't grow up chassidic (as someone mentioned previously is more common in Lubavitch then in other chassidic circles) although thru the years I learned to speak a fairly decent conversational Yiddish. At school we always translated chumish into yiddish and learnt the Lubavitcher Rebbe's talks in their original Yiddish.
Of course our Yiddish is more like the Litvish Yiddish then the hungarian Yiddish. (because of geographical reasons)

Pearl

Post Tue, May 10 2005, 8:51 am
Quote:
freilich wrote:
Wherever there is coca cola there is Lubavitch.

LOL! I always liked that one!

timeout

Post Tue, May 10 2005, 4:56 pm
I went to Lubavitch High School and the only Yiddish we learnt was our Navi class taught by Morah Naimon a woman (not Lubavitch) from Williamsburg.

The only time I really started learning Yiddish is when I married a non Lubavitcher from Boro Park that speaks Yiddish.

I do agree that Lubavitch is the only Chassishe sect that's basically everywhere Very Happy

proudmom

Post Tue, May 10 2005, 4:59 pm
Tova, I had the same teacher

timeout

Post Tue, May 10 2005, 5:06 pm
Wasn't her Yiddish great? It always brought a smile to my face this teeny little woman with so much information to share and she was scary too Tongue Out

proudmom

Post Tue, May 10 2005, 5:12 pm
Tova you crack me up. LOL

timeout

Post Tue, May 10 2005, 5:14 pm
what Sem did u go to after?

proudmom

Post Tue, May 10 2005, 5:17 pm
I went to sem in Montreal where I met my DH.

timeout

Post Tue, May 10 2005, 5:20 pm
oh how romantic LOL

proudmom

Post Tue, May 10 2005, 5:26 pm
not that romantic

gryp

Post Tue, May 10 2005, 7:08 pm
timeout- you may be interested in knowing that Mrs. Naimon is still teaching

timeout

Post Wed, May 11 2005, 7:43 pm
She must be like a 100 I must go look her up and tell her what an impact her class had one me.

Thanks for letting me know she's still there!

gryp

Post Wed, May 11 2005, 9:28 pm
I know a few girls in her class that love her class but its also tough.

amazing what a good teacher can do.

timeout

Post Fri, May 13 2005, 10:10 am
I have to say though I had one teacher that really just took away my whole spirit I went to her with a couple of girls (out of towners) for Friday night meal. To this day I can remember what happened every time I see her the anger and hurt comes back.

Teahcers don't realize how important they are!

Rivka

Post Sat, May 14 2005, 6:10 pm
Too right, which is why I never wanted to be one. Too much responsibility.

1stimer

Post Sat, May 14 2005, 11:16 pm
I have a couple more questions for Lubavitch (hope noone minds me asking)

1. Why don't people have pictures etc. of non-kosher animals?

2. Why don't you eat so much stuff on Pesach (I know this is a bit late... but I've always wondered?

Thanks!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics