Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Question about lubavitch
Previous  1  2

Tefila

Post Sun, May 15 2005, 12:54 am
1st timer b/c:
1. We believe what we see, hear and feel can b/come part and parcel of a person. So too these triefa animals mannerisms and parts that make them trief can influence , especially an impressionable child how they act and imitate that specific animal and it's carateristics. And this the Lubavitcher Rebbe opened our eyes w/h.

2. It's not only chabad other chassidim too take on different extra chumras when it comes to Pesach. So we should truly feel how the yidden felt when they were in Mitzrayim.

Motek

Post Sun, May 15 2005, 8:13 am
[quote="1stimer"]1. Why don't people have pictures etc. of non-kosher animals?[/quote[

here's a thread on it:

http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....e569c

Quote:
2. Why don't you eat so much stuff on Pesach (I know this is a bit late... but I've always wondered

freilich wrote:
So we should truly feel how the yidden felt when they were in Mitzrayim.

you're joking, right Freilich? where are the emoticons?

it's because when it comes to Pesach, Jews have always been extra-stringent
even non-Chasidim have extra hiddurim that they do not do year round

1stimer

Post Sun, May 15 2005, 8:15 am
I can understand about gebroks however why no manufactured goods, either u trust the hechsher for e/thing or for nothing and then u can't buy wine, matzas, fish, meat etc.

thanks for the link to nonkosher - I'll look now.

supermom

Post Sun, May 15 2005, 8:22 am
a lot of people believe that with regarding the non kosher animals that they only apply to real but not pictures

1stimer

Post Sun, May 15 2005, 8:27 am
supermom, so does that mean that kids aren't allowed to see real animals I.e. no pets, no visit to zoo. Hey, no going in the street in Yerushalayim (cats)

Tefila

Post Sun, May 15 2005, 8:28 am
Ok here's my emoticon Rolling Eyes Read my above post number 2 for it to make sense!

supermom

Post Sun, May 15 2005, 8:34 am
my cousin goes according to what a stated. she doesn't go to the zoo or anything of that such. but oddly enough she has non kosher animals on her babies clothing Confused

Motek

Post Sun, May 15 2005, 8:36 am
supermom - that's the opposite of what the Lubavitcher Rebbe said

is your cousin Lubavitch?

Motek

Post Sun, May 15 2005, 8:40 am
Quote:
either u trust the hechsher for e/thing or for nothing

I know that even non-chasidic families do not see it that way, not for Pesach

so for example, they'll use a certain "kosher for Pesach" brand of cookies erev Pesach, after the zman when you can no longer eat chometz and also before Pesach, when they are making their home chometz-free and want to give the children something that won't make chometz crumbs, but they will not use that brand on Pesach itself

why? because they consider it kosher and chometz-free (or they wouldn't eat it!) but ... not "good enough" for Pesach, meaning, not up to the "kosher for Pesach" standard that they want for Pesach itself

1stimer

Post Sun, May 15 2005, 9:00 am
I don't understand it at all. I don't understand what it's based on. aRe they afraid of chametz? kitnius? Just want to make life harder?

Motek

Post Sun, May 15 2005, 9:04 am
none of those choices

it's about hiddurim specifically on Pesach

It seems you never heard of such a thing. I'm surprised.

1stimer

Post Sun, May 15 2005, 9:06 am
hiddurim are based on something... what is this based on?

gryp

Post Sun, May 15 2005, 9:22 am
1sttimer- when something is made in a factory, there are many many people involved. the people that dont eat processed foods also dont eat outside their own homes on Pesach, there are just too many people and factors to "trust" that something is not exactly to your chumrah. we just dont want to put our trust in so many people that may be involved that we dont even know.
as far as matzos and wine, some people do make their own, some people only buy from certain places that they know they can certainly trust.
you just dont want to be relying on strangers when it comes to something as important as Pesach chumrahs.

Motek

Post Sun, May 15 2005, 9:27 am
1stimer - aside from products, have you heard of the idea that people don't "mish" on Pesach, they don't eat in the homes of people that they would eat at any other time of the year, other than Pesach?

sarahd

Post Sun, May 15 2005, 5:11 pm
The issur of eating chometz on Pesach is more serious than eating treif (treif is an issur of malkos, whereas chometz is an issur kores) so people are even more careful with Pesach foods than with kashrus all year round. Therefore, many people will not eat processed foods on Pesach even from hasgochos they would use all year round. Even those who use certain processed foods try to use those that are the least processed possible (I.e. we use some things - like potato starch, orange juice, seltzer - things that have as few ingredients as possible.) The more ingredients and steps to manufacturing an item, the greater the possibility that a mistake will be made and something will be used that shouldn't be used on Pesach (I.e. the whole uproar years ago with lecithin - which is kitniyos - that was being used in chocolate.)

Motek

Post Fri, May 20 2005, 4:13 pm
here's the answer I got (from a non-Lubavitcher):

It has always been the case that people took extraordinary chumros on Pesach (not “mishing”, gebroks and kitniyos are three examples) even though they absolutely believe that the item is not chametz. Why? The Torah made chametz one of the few foods that are asur b’mashehu (forbidden in a minute amount). So we follow that lead and avoid foods that might even remotely have chametz in them, each according to their minhag.

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Jun 12 2005, 6:14 am
supermom wrote:
a lot of people believe that with regarding the non kosher animals that they only apply to real but not pictures

Actually. the Rebbe mentioned in that sicha about a picture of a bear on a child's crib.(It used to be a common style.) The Rebbe used the word chas v'shalom" or similar about a child being exposed to that! About the zoo, there was a specific answer the Rebbe gave (printed in footnotes of the relevant sichos) that that was not his intention, and one could take their children to the zoo because it was showing them the wonders of Hashem's creations.

BTW pregnant women should not go to the zoo, that's what I remember being told. (I don't know if it's directly related to the topic at hand.)

Last edited by TzenaRena on Sun, Jun 12 2005, 6:30 am; edited 1 time in total

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Jun 12 2005, 6:29 am
1stimer wrote:
supermom, so does that mean that kids aren't allowed to see real animals I.e. no pets, no visit to zoo. Hey, no going in the street in Yerushalayim (cats)

The idea is not to be "mistakel" to gaze intently/intentionally at the non-kosher creature. Passing it by in the street doesn't have to involve anything more. And yes, a child does identify in some way with the characters and motifs on his clothing. Kids often get very attached to those articles of clothing with their images, therefore we screen their clothes and toys for only kosher, pure images.

Pets also should be kosher. ie. kosher birds, fish.. (I can't think what else might be). Doves can be kept as opposed to parrot types(not kosher). [Kosher birds perch with one toe in the backof the perch and three in front. Non-kosher birds divide their toes equally I.e. two and two.] Goldfish, etc.

Aish

Post Fri, Jul 01 2005, 5:17 pm
amother wrote:
Why, it's in hebrew?? I dont understand what you are asking??
Many sichas of the rebbe are in Yiddish!

why are you anonymous????????????????
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics