Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Advice how to Organize Playmobil

Fresca

Post Sun, Feb 03 2013, 12:59 am
I have a few Playmobil sets and I'm having a hard time finding the perfect container.

Can you ladies share your ideas how you organize the big and small pieces?

passaicmom

Post Sun, Feb 03 2013, 7:58 am
I have something like this from target call Itso, I did different size bins depending on the size of the set. http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-1gdQ.....1.JPG

amother

Post Sun, Feb 03 2013, 9:33 am
I have a huge playmobil collection. Each set is in a seperate ziploc bag (they have all sizes, heavy plastic, with carrying handles). Each collection (I.e. farm set, zoo, house, knights) goes together in a huge ziploc (each huge ziploc has many smaller ziplocs in it, every small ziploc gets a picture cutout of the set that belongs there). That's how the kids get to play the entire collection at once, being that it's stored together & it is the most space saving. This system has been working for me for years & none of the sets got mixed up.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 03 2013, 9:33 am
I have a huge playmobil collection. Each set is in a seperate ziploc bag (they have all sizes, heavy plastic, with carrying handles). Each collection (I.e. farm set, zoo, house, knights) goes together in a huge ziploc (each huge ziploc has many smaller ziplocs in it, every small ziploc gets a picture cutout of the set that belongs there). That's how the kids get to play the entire collection at once, being that it's stored together & it is the most space saving. This system has been working for me for years & none of the sets got mixed up.

Mrs.K

Post Sun, Feb 03 2013, 9:49 am
We too have an abnormally large playmobil collection. I had a custom cabinet made with shelves the right size for the really massive sets but as for the smaller pieces I bought plastic containers with a clip on lid for all men, another for all horses or large weapons etc. as many as you need. Not huge containers but a nice conveniently sized box.

The second thing I bought which is AMAZING was an empty screw case with sections. Like this.

Smartest purchase ever. Now I have a section for coins, a section for cutlery and food, a section for hats, a section for weapons, etc. etc. Love it.

Fresca

Post Sun, Feb 03 2013, 10:01 am
Thanks for the great ideas.

I tried the ziplock bags. It doesn't work for me.

The empty screw case sounds like a great idea. I wouldnt mind buying something that's a little bigger and has place for the trucks/buses as well. I have a bus, ambulance, vacation truck, etc.

Mrs.K

Post Sun, Feb 03 2013, 10:08 am
Fresca wrote:

The empty screw case sounds like a great idea. I wouldnt mind buying something that's a little bigger and has place for the trucks/buses as well. I have a bus, ambulance, vacation truck, etc.

Definitely! I wanted to add to look at all the different size screw cases for the ones that fit your needs most. I specifically did not buy one with all uniform compartments as pictured. I wanted some longer, some wider, to fit different specific pieces.

Fresca

Post Sun, Feb 03 2013, 1:01 pm
Mrs.K wrote:
Fresca wrote:

Definitely! I wanted to add to look at all the different size screw cases for the ones that fit your needs most. I specifically did not buy one with all uniform compartments as pictured. I wanted some longer, some wider, to fit different specific pieces.

Where can I buy these cases? Home Depot?

Tamiri

Post Sun, Feb 03 2013, 1:14 pm
My playmobile "screw cases" are from the late 80s so they may not make them anymore. They came with sliding dividers, removable, so you could choose the size of the compartment. This way, a tiny compartment was good for cutlery etc while a larger one could hold the motorcycle. I do have to say that my boys never loved the system. OTOH, we still have both screw boxes and most of the parts of playmobile from the past 20+ years..... after many moves, yet!

gr8 mom

Post Mon, Dec 18 2017, 9:50 am
Had this question now that my kids got some Playmobil over chanukah.. Any new ideas?

challahchallah

Post Mon, Dec 18 2017, 1:12 pm
These are my favorite cabinets for organizing small parts. You can mix and match so some drawers have bigger compartments and some have smaller.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#scre.....qnf0i

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Dec 18 2017, 1:17 pm
By us, the only thing that worked was a big plastic tub. DD had no patience for cleaning up and organizing, but I could get her to gather everything and dump it in.

She loved starting from scratch the next day, pulling things from the tub as needed. Separate drawers were too fussy for her, and just made her anxious.

asmileaday

Post Mon, Dec 18 2017, 1:21 pm
Does everyone really keep each set separate?

We did for the the first few times but now it's all mixed together (we don't have tons though).
My kids play really creatively so they always mix and match pieces from a few sets. We don't know anymore what originally belongs to which set.
Have the same issue with the tiny Lego. We used to keep each set separate but once they start building their own ideas they end up needing more pieces from different sets and now it's all evenly divided in a couple of containers. But not by set.

asmileaday

Post Mon, Dec 18 2017, 1:22 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
By us, the only thing that worked was a big plastic tub. DD had no patience for cleaning up and organizing, but I could get her to gather everything and dump it in.

She loved starting from scratch the next day, pulling things from the tub as needed. Separate drawers were too fussy for her, and just made her anxious.

Thank FF! I was starting to feel like an unorganized slob... LOL

My boys don't have patience to sort it out on a steady basis.

challahchallah

Post Mon, Dec 18 2017, 1:26 pm
asmileaday wrote:

We did for the the first few times but now it's all mixed together (we don't have tons though).
My kids play really creatively so they always mix and match pieces from a few sets. We don't know anymore what originally belongs to which set.
Have the same issue with the tiny Lego. We used to keep each set separate but once they start building their own ideas they end up needing more pieces from different sets and now it's all evenly divided in a couple of containers. But not by set.

Honestly, I don't think I'd keep each set separate either (no kids yet so hasn't come up). I just thought I'd post a link to my favorite small parts cabinet since people were wondering if you can still buy screw cabinets.

debsey

Post Mon, Dec 18 2017, 1:53 pm
asmileaday wrote:

Nah.....

I do "menchies" in one box, everything else in another

That's just because sometimes my kids only want the menchies and not all the buildings, etc. But you can totally find a toddler shoe or a magna tile that got thrown into the big playmobil tub. (That's the kind of house we live in, we hope we never leave it)

Also, there are wockets in our pockets.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics