Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Proper MM etiquette

amother

Post Tue, Feb 05 2013, 9:22 am
What's the "rule" when it comes to giving MM to a family that you became friendly with through the friendship of your kids? Meaning, your child is friends with their child, so both families are now close with each other... I'd feel a little silly for my child to give their child, and then me to give their parents-what's the point of two? But on the other hand, would feel weird not to give them... Anyone know what's proper in this scenario?

chocolate chips

Post Tue, Feb 05 2013, 9:27 am
I would make something like both of yours put together so the more formal drink and food for the parents and the nash for the kids etc.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Feb 05 2013, 9:28 am
I have friendships that have been formed thru my children, where I give MM to the family and my kids give their own MM to the friends.

I don't think there are any rules about MM, though, except for those in Halacha. You can do whatever makes you feel comfortable.

cm

Post Tue, Feb 05 2013, 10:04 am
Speaking strictly in terms of etiquette, not halacha:

Some people give children to children, and parents to parents. Most families in my community give family to family, regardless of how the families know each other. It's not a hard-and-fast rule. You can do what you like.

baskrox

Post Tue, Feb 05 2013, 12:55 pm
We have "family" MM with theme. And kids give their friends in a cheap cellophane bag some nosh, usually chips, drink and some sort of candy. So, we would give both. We do that with most of our neighbors. I give family one and the kids give to their friends. If you and your kids are giving the same one, I'm not sure what you would do.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette