Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Chocolate Liqueur
1  2  Next

LikeMeDoes

Post Sun, Feb 04 2007, 9:08 am
By: Sarah Kisner

Anyone read it? What do you think of it?

I wasn't too impressed by her last 2 books, but I've read this and it was pretty good. I think one of the plots doesn't quite tie together but it seems like that happens a lot in the frum literature that comes out these days.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Feb 04 2007, 9:33 am
a friend read it and loved it too.

Mevater

Post Wed, Apr 11 2007, 9:00 pm
I was on about page 200 of 588 on the last day of Yom Tov and since then, I haven't had the time or energy to continue. Will Alexandro be found alive? I can't get it out of my mind, it's addictive.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Apr 11 2007, 9:44 pm
Who are they published by? Think I can get them from the public library?

bashinda

Post Wed, Apr 11 2007, 10:14 pm
probably not unless they carry books from places like targum and artscroll

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Wed, Apr 11 2007, 10:14 pm
I got it - it was great!
I generally don't buy novels b/c the cost adds up, but I treated myself to 2 new ones for Pesach.
it was a great novel and really kept me busy! Now I left it in TX to lend to 2 people who wanted it next!
I love shidduchim stories - always have! (the jewish version of a romance novel??)

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Apr 11 2007, 10:24 pm
It was a fabulous, fabulous book. The only aspect I didnt like about it was that the NICU was extremely unrealistically portrayed - unless NICUs in eretz yisroel are run differently. In the US they generally do not allow any random stranger to visit, and deinitely not to do anything to the babies, and they dont depend on volunteers to monitor babies' vitals. In addition, they dont have their own private rooms. I was a little bothered by her portrayal of the NICU. Otherwise, it was a fabulous book.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 10:03 am
BasHinda, Brooklyn Public library has tons of Jewish books. Time to register your oldest daughter for a card, and be sure to make a video of it!

bashinda

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 11:51 am
Really? I've seen a few artscroll books here and there maybe a siddur or a chumash which we have already. I'm a bit disappointed by the BPL actually. It's such a big building and I think the main public library in the area I grew up in with a much smaller population had about the same amount of books this one does. They waste so much space there. For a borough that would be the 4th largest city in the US it's a major disapointment. Also it's horribly disorganized and it's hard to come across librarians that actually like being librarians and helping you out.

Oh well. DH tells me in California there's much more funding going to the libraries. We had library sales all the time. Of course nowadays I'm still struggling how to fit in my love for reading with my frumkeit (a discussion for another thread) so I don't know how often I'd use the library here anyway. I've used it here and there for recipes but haven't gone there in at least a year now.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 2:29 pm
BasHinda, you put them on hold, on your online account, and then they call or email you when they come in. Make a list.

bashinda

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 2:41 pm
I'm not sure they'd have stuff I'd like but it's nice they've joined the technological age now.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 9:22 pm
if they have the book anywhere in brooklyn, you can hold it. there's also an "interlibrary" loan thing, but I don't know how it works.
maybe join a jewish library?

bashinda

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 9:33 pm
I don't know if the one here is even open anymore. kensington has a good one I heard although that's not so helpful for me. oh well Smile

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 9:55 pm
We h ave two jewish libraries in c.h.

anyway, bashinda, the brooklyn pub library even gets feldheim books!

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 10:02 pm
There is a MRs Haber in Crown Heights who runs a bookmobile. 917 488 6436 I beleive. You can become a member by her and go to her at night and check out her books.

bashinda

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 10:54 pm
MB: of course it takes someone who doesn't live in CH to tell me about Mrs. Haber (wonder if it's Heber) who has a library. There's a kid's library too l"n somebody now that I think about it. And Beis Rivka has a library I've heard.

cm: The tzach one is still open? It needs some major work that library. I don't think they had any recent books there unfortunately. It's intriguing about the public library. which feldheim books or other Jewish books have you been able to check out from the bpl?

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Apr 13 2007, 10:25 am
BasHinda, which LIbe? the levi yitzchok or the sayda something?

I hve gotten dinim books, stories for the kids, cheery bim and such teenage stories...bes. the naomi ragens and her ilk.

bashinda

Post Fri, Apr 13 2007, 10:35 am
levi yitzchok, unless it's changed in the past year, hasn't gotten much new stuff yet. It looks like it hasn't changed much in 20 years.

I haven't gone to the library l"n Saadya something. Eventually that might be a good resource though

I'll have to heck out the bpl website. One of these days!

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Apr 14 2007, 11:34 pm
they get m ore new books, but it's not free.

amother

Post Sun, Apr 15 2007, 8:07 am
It is Mrs. Haber, but I don't know if she's open to crown heightsers anymore.
The Sadya Liberov library is only open once aweek, I think on tuesday nights, I never went but someone told me. Bais Rivkah's library is only for students during school hours.
Tzach is totally outdated. The JCM does have a library with restrictions but I don't think it has been open as they have not have any after school programs this past year.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room