Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Why don't they treat strep?

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Feb 04 2007, 9:17 am
My dr. says that kids under 2 (or maybe it's 3) don't usually get strep throat, and if they do, they don't treat it.
My 13 month old got strep (as does my husband & I). B"H he seems okay, I'm just wondering about this practice.....
(PS my dr. is a well-known, knowledgable dr...I trust him! I'm just a little nervous and wonder the reason)

shoy18

Post Sun, Feb 04 2007, 9:21 am
my dr. says the same (maybe we have the same dr), I'm not sure why. Just keep a watchful eye on him to make sure he doesn't get really high fever or anything.

withhumor

Post Sun, Feb 04 2007, 10:36 am
It’s possible that it is a different bacteria in younger children. I’m pretty sure the meds either don’t help it or don’t agree with young children. Keep giving warm fluids for your baby, children are not such big kvetches. Good luck!

su7kids

Post Sun, Feb 04 2007, 11:01 am
That must be something new. I think the main reason is that they are trying not to over prescribe antibiotics, because you can develop a resistence to it.

But strep is supposed to be a dangerous thing. Someone who has strep and who isn't treated can develop heart problems. So I would think you should ask your doctor for the answer. I'd be interested to hear what he says.

Motek

Post Sun, Feb 04 2007, 5:28 pm
su7kids wrote:
But strep is supposed to be a dangerous thing. Someone who has strep and who isn't treated can develop heart problems.

Strep is not dangerous unless it develops into something dangerous, which is rare. The choice is to take antibiotics which has side effects and causes the body to become resistant to antibiotics, or to wait it out and with Hashem's help, to heal without prescription drugs.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Feb 04 2007, 5:33 pm
the same dr. gives antibiotics right away for ear infections, though..

Tefila

Post Sun, Feb 04 2007, 5:37 pm
Perhaps it's a) not strep then b) requires the dr to get ample fluid from the inside of a babys mouth for the lab so it's too complicated. Yes it could get to be dangerous and I'm suprised the Dr is quick to prescribe it to the adult then a kid Confused

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Feb 04 2007, 5:41 pm
no, they did a strep throat culture and it came back positive

bluesclues

Post Sun, Feb 04 2007, 5:42 pm
under the age of 2 the strept will heal its self. over that if not treated it can get dangerous.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Feb 04 2007, 6:14 pm
so if me, my husband and my baby all had strep, should I have my 2 1/2 year old tested? he doesn't seem sick.

chavamom

Post Sun, Feb 04 2007, 8:07 pm
I've never heard of this. I am guessing that it is b/c the only reason they give abx. for strep is to prevent Rheumatic Fever, not to cure the strep. But rheumatic fever is rare and is only common in kids 6 - 15. So could a child under 2 get rheumatic fever? I don't know. But there is a problem with strep becoming resistant to antibiotics. So maybe this is part of the effort to reduce the use of antibiotics and prevent resistance? Maybe Jo will tell us.

Jo

Post Mon, Feb 05 2007, 8:29 am
This is interesting. I also haven't heard of this approach (and nor has a colleague that I just asked...).
I personally wouldn't leave a case of strep untreated if it was diagnosed on culture of a throat swab...
Why do a swab if you aren't planning to treat a positive result???
There are many different types of strep that people carry - many of which do not cause you to become sick eg strep viridans
But I would treat a child with a sore throat who had a positive culture for group A strep - even at that young age - to prevent rheumatic fever and other problems.
Maybe the approach is different in the US

Ima'la

Post Mon, Feb 05 2007, 8:59 am
I heard of this in Israel from my (very) American doctor. He didn't say until what age, but my baby was 7 mos. at the time and he said that babies that young do not develop rheumatic fever and the strep usually clears up on its own...but he did prescribe antibiotics so that the rest of the family wouldn't catch it. (Esp. as I have 2 other kids.)

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Mon, Feb 05 2007, 10:01 pm
Well, the doctor is actually Isreali. Smile But probably trained here. He's one of the "top pediatricians" so I trust him... I just find it strange! Baby had the culture Wed. Today - Monday - he had fever...so if he still has in another couple of days, I'll call the dr. again. (though he seems fine otherwise)

Health is a Virture

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 1:53 pm
they used to say that under a certain age, babies don't get rheumatic fever, but I think that nowadays this is not correct (I believe my mother once told me this). And so, it sounds like an old=fashioned thing to do, and I would recommend giving antibiotics as it can turn into rheumatic feverwhich can be very dangerous. but, dopn't take my word for it.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Thu, Feb 15 2007, 9:49 pm
B"H my son seems all better even without the antibiotics. I guess it's like ear infections..sometimes goes away without antibiotics. though my dr. does prescribe antibiotics for ear infections....

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Thu, Feb 15 2007, 9:49 pm
B"H my son seems all better even without the antibiotics. I guess it's like ear infections..sometimes goes away without antibiotics. though my dr. does prescribe antibiotics for ear infections....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics